Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:53 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sounds like we're setting ourselves up to break all sorts of records. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:57 pm 
Robert Walls

Honestly? I’d be pretty ok with Neil Craig’s coaching record right about now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

jim wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Since 2000, the number of coaches who coached a wooden spoon who then went on to win a flag - 0.
Could probably go back even further.

I reckon, but there is a limit to how much time I can put into this :lol: .

What are the odds of a non-player-turned-coach winning the Spoon then to win the flag??

I reckon 1,000,000,000/1

MLG....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:34 pm 
Craig Bradley

HTP wrote:

I'd be even happy with Brett Ratten's 2012 record when he got sacked after a 11 wins from 21 games after a year smashed with injury like this year. I'd kill for that now. Never mind his other years. Near winless seasons don't do alot for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:21 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

What are the odds of a Tasmanian non-player-turned-coach winning the Spoon then to win the flag??

Two of them in play.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

jim wrote:
Ockham's Razor wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

You think bullshitting and pretending to have inside word is putting your "lollies on the line"?
If you're going to make up stories, do it for something constructive. Using your bullshit to bag the coach and the club is tiresome.

I don't mind reading criticism of the club. Sydney Blue, The Duke, Redback and several others are harsh critics but they base their criticisms on their honest beliefs.
When posters blatantly fabricate nonsense to push their agendas, there's no respect there. You've come out with a record amount of untrue and uninformed rubbish this week that clouds the debate. Surely if Bolton was such a poor coach, there wouldn't be a need to lie about it. :?
Criticise as much as you want but try the facts for a change.

haha. you sound salty mate. have a bad week, did we?

not sure what you consider bullshit or fabricated?

I work in media, so hear privy bits here & there which obviously is taken with a grain of salt ... one of my best mate's oldman played for the club and still is in contact lots of old blues from his era who still have lots to do with the club. and i have a few mates who are ex afl players and in coaching - albeit line coaches. a common theme among all of them is bolton is struggling right now to reach the players and while it's speculation that's bocs he never played afl ... it also makes sense, at least to me. cornes got his info from the same guys i talk to, and he thought it had enough legs to write & talk about it in the media.

also lots of talk silvagni (since the freo game) isn't sold on bolton remaining coach ... time will tell with all of it, though. if the list gets healthy and bolton reveals himself to be a gun coach, i have no problem at all saying i was wrong.

so chin up old mate. it's just the internet, a place where banter goes down whether you approve of it or not.

Not that I give a shit either way, but I'm not sure that aligning yourself with Kane "I make shit up" Cornes enhances your position....

I must as I dislike "Shock Jock" Cornes he would here more than all of us put together. How he chooses to express it is another thing but on this one he is right. History of coaches of Victorian clubs who have never played at the highest level is terrible. That was his theme more than having a direct crack at Bolton. He just used Bolts as an example as we are on the bottom almost winless and totally embarrassing right now. Malcolm Blight agreed with him that night.

My “not that I give a shit either way” was in reference to the ongoing pissing contest on here, not in relation to the Blues, in which I’m heavily invested.

The Blues are on the right track.

Many, many people hear more than Kane Cornes. There’s always chatter around footy clubs from many affected people, both positive and negative.

Interesting to hear Mark Maclure FULLY support the club this week. Vindication of what’s happening?

SOS was in Noosa recently. Freo game feedback crap is just that, crap.

The club is solid, Bolton is seriously resilient, the entire administration, board etc are in unison.

Players believe in what is developing. Club is very pleased that players are re-signing.

There is acknowledgment that changes need to occur including in relation to medical.

The plan is there won’t be much, if any media for rest of season other than Bolton.

All players who are key for next year are signed. There is heaps of salary cap space.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
There is acknowledgment that changes need to occur including in relation to medical.

Excellent OR. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

David Parkin on the radio today said there’s something like 174 coaches in the AFL and 32 of them never played at the highest level (actual numbers may be slightly different, I can’t remember precisely). H then said that if you look at high level sport around the world there’s no correlation between being an elite player and being an elite coach coach.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:56 am 
John Nicholls

Wojee wrote:
David Parkin on the radio today said there’s something like 174 coaches in the AFL and 32 of them never played at the highest level (actual numbers may be slightly different, I can’t remember precisely). H then said that if you look at high level sport around the world there’s no correlation between being an elite player and being an elite coach.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:07 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Wojee wrote:
David Parkin on the radio today said there’s something like 174 coaches in the AFL and 32 of them never played at the highest level (actual numbers may be slightly different, I can’t remember precisely). H then said that if you look at high level sport around the world there’s no correlation between being an elite player and being an elite coach coach.

imo; it's not a pertinent example to compare afl coaching to other leagues around the world. for starters, afl is only played here... that's a not a very deep pool for coaching talent.

it's not the round ball game where there are students of the game (who've never played) all around and over the world. must be in the hundreds of thousands of coaches around the world in various soccer leagues who never played, but study it and dream of coaching in the big leagues one day.

basketball and gridiron have over 225 college teams with large coaching staffs, which is a massive talent pool for coaching for the nba and nfl. Brad stevens the celtics (nba) coach is one of the rare college coaches which have made the jump to the nba and been successful. he still doesn't have a title and may never win one. but, there are lots of highly decorated college coaches who flamed out in the nba ... bcos they say over there it's a different game to the nba. college coaches there have a similar stigma to non-playing coaches here, imo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:07 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The Duke wrote:
jim wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Since 2000, the number of coaches who coached a wooden spoon who then went on to win a flag - 0.
Could probably go back even further.

I reckon, but there is a limit to how much time I can put into this :lol: .

What are the odds of a non-player-turned-coach winning the Spoon then to win the flag??

I reckon 1,000,000,000/1

MLG....

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:34 am 
Bruce Doull

Wojee wrote:

He didn't happen to mention height by any chance?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:50 am 
Bruce Doull

Wojee wrote:

I agree with Braithy. of those 32, how many have been premiership coaches? I genuinely don't know the answer despite my earlier post, but suspect the number is 0.

If that's true then we've taken a massive gamble.

Consider the following;
No coach who's never played at the highest level has ever won a flag.
We've employed a non-playing coach to do what very few coaches have done at all, let alone be successful at, which is to oversee the complete rebuild of our entire list. GWS and GC have yet to play in a GF let alone win one and they had access to all the talent plus 'free agents' from the entire league and they STILL haven't achieved success.

People say 'injuries haven't helped' and 'yeah, but we lost Gibbs which we didn't expect' - Here's the thing....when you're completely pulling a list apart, you need to allow for every single disaster that can feasibly happen, and that includes stars wanting out and injuries to key players.

After 3 drafts we should have a better list, not THE worst list.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:28 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Wojee wrote:

Shove that up yer jumper Kane.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
Wojee wrote:

imo; it's not a pertinent example to compare afl coaching to other leagues around the world. for starters, afl is only played here... that's a not a very deep pool for coaching talent.

it's not the round ball game where there are students of the game (who've never played) all around and over the world. must be in the hundreds of thousands of coaches around the world in various soccer leagues who never played, but study it and dream of coaching in the big leagues one day.

basketball and gridiron have over 225 college teams with large coaching staffs, which is a massive talent pool for coaching for the nba and nfl. Brad stevens the celtics (nba) coach is one of the rare college coaches which have made the jump to the nba and been successful. he still doesn't have a title and may never win one. but, there are lots of highly decorated college coaches who flamed out in the nba ... bcos they say over there it's a different game to the nba. college coaches there have a similar stigma to non-playing coaches here, imo.

The doubt may well be justified Braithy..I get it...but we really need to wait one more year for mine...just wait until at least 3 quarters of a good list..a few more good pick ups and then we should see a developing game plan and a lot more wins. Not yet
Too early to judge. Now what we do know is he is a very good teacher for the younger ones so nothing lost if that is all he good at.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluegirl72 wrote:
The doubt may well be justified Braithy..I get it...but we really need to wait one more year for mine...just wait until at least 3 quarters of a good list..a few more good pick ups and then we should see a developing game plan and a lot more wins. Not yet
Too early to judge. Now what we do know is he is a very good teacher for the younger ones so nothing lost if that is all he good at.

for sure BG. We are so committed to the current plan and the staff implementing it, we kinda have to give them another 12 months. although if keeping BB, i think we need to shuffle around the line coaching and tweak some things moving into next season.

our new football Ops manager, and how much power we give them will be key to next season, imo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

jim wrote:
HTP wrote:

I'd be even happy with Brett Ratten's 2012 record when he got sacked after a 11 wins from 21 games after a year smashed with injury like this year. I'd kill for that now. Never mind his other years. Near winless seasons don't do alot for me.

Me too but remember that we had the worst president in the clubs history - i was a better carlton premiership CHF than sticks was a president - and he also appointed malthouse. Also remember his wonderful line at an awards night ... we are carlton, f*#k the rest.... minus IQ stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:

for sure BG. We are so committed to the current plan and the staff implementing it, we kinda have to give them another 12 months. although if keeping BB, i think we need to shuffle around the line coaching and tweak some things moving into next season.

our new football Ops manager, and how much power we give them will be key to next season, imo.

Agree.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:31 pm 
Craig Bradley

1 goal to half time. 12 goals loss, time to go Bolts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:33 pm 
Bruce Comben

Some positive news from a poster on BF re Bolts and current culture.
‘For what it's worth I spoke to the father of a player yesterday who could not of spoken more highly of the club. The whole club approach from Bolts is outstanding and the families of the players all love him for it, a vastly different approach to what Malthouse did. He essentially said that a few of the older blokes bodies are stuffed and that they just shouldn't be playing but the club is completely limited in who they pick. Group of players are incredibly tight and know the direction they're heading but understand it will take time. Was very refreshing to hear and he finished by saying that the media don't report on this stuff because it doesn't sell papers’.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205 ... 350  Next