Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:18 pm 
Bruce Comben

I've wondered how coaches like Tommy Hafey, Ron Barassi, Allan Jeans, John Kennedy, Kevin Sheedy have influenced future successful coaches. They have all coached players who have ended up successful coaches. Parkin is an interesting one. He coached Hawthorn for a time, so I guess you could say he had an influence on Lethal and Rocket. While Rocket hasn't won a premiership, he has coached a team to a GF. But his stint at the Great Navy Blues didn't influence any of the great players in that period to become a successful coach. You would think that at least one would have made it. Even Parkin's stint at Fitzroy produced Paul Roos. There seems

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:48 pm 
Trevor Keogh

Netherless, I believe he is our greatest coach in my lifetime, not only what he did on the field, but the programs etc he set up at the club to make sure players took on further studies, courses etc. does anyone remember the name of the program he had at Carlton. Pagan came and ripped it all out. Sounds familiar .

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:07 am 
Bruce Comben

limestone wrote:
Netherless, I believe he is our greatest coach in my lifetime, not only what he did on the field, but the programs etc he set up at the club to make sure players took on further studies, courses etc. does anyone remember the name of the program he had at Carlton. Pagan came and ripped it all out. Sounds familiar .

Yes, that's true, Parkin emphasised education as important, and that players needed to prepare for life after football.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:08 am 
Bruce Doull

limestone wrote:

We won a spoon before pagan came.. He came on a spoon won.
If you believe one man did that the opposite must also be true.
That one man can put the soul back onto the club.. Aka the silver bullet theory.
. it's the mentality that plagues the club and we see it there in all its glory. So eloquently put forward.. Again
People need to understand its the underpinning fundamentals that need refurbishment