Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

grrofunger wrote:
lol they paywall slobbo articles

Here you go gro

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/john-b ... 7465063469

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

thanks

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Wangers wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
lol they paywall slobbo articles

Here you go gro

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/john-b ... 7465063469

Slobbo puff piece on John Barker. :roll:

So it's down to Dew, Lloyd and Bolton then.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

Da meedya are praying we give the gig to Barker...

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:55 am 
Ken Hunter

..maybe don, but I reckon they're just reading the writing on the wall and wanna be right for once..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:26 am 
Rod Ashman

Like Barker and the way he goes about it but there's a strong argument for bringing in someone new from a successful program.
That said, have Bolton, Lloyd and Dew ever operated in a culture and environment such as Carlton circa 2015? They are in for shock of their lives. Least Barker knows the score.
They have to implement at Carlton what has brought sustained success at their clubs while taking the hits along the way. Their support staff will be critical. We can't afford to penny pinch with the assistants again. Even if we are broke ... :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:53 am 
Bruce Doull

This is what worries me. Because they come from successful clubs, Bolton, Lloyd and Dew may price themselves too high, either making us:
1) Again penny pinch on assistants (ala Malthouse)
2) Go with the bloke we know

Neither is particularly appealing...

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:20 am 
Bruce Doull

Barker is doing OK.. Not sure what's being expected under the circumstances of players checking out.
Injuries and top two pick.
Either way I don't believe anybody is better without knowing anything much about anybody else apart from what the media tell us
Barker is trying different things and different players..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:21 am 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:
This is what worries me. Because they come from successful clubs, Bolton, Lloyd and Dew may price themselves too high, either making us:
1) Again penny pinch on assistants (ala Malthouse)
2) Go with the bloke we know

Neither is particularly appealing...

I agree. I would vomit if Matt Lloyds bro got the job. I got no time for coaches that never played AFL. Players wont respect after a year or so, as they will have the attitude of what the heck would the coach know, he never played this game.

Bolton - Hasn't done a long enough apprenticeship. Hird and Vossy are not successful with this approach.
Dew - Long enough apprenticeship as well? Mark neeld in the making? or genuine. Who knows. Sydney is a team of leaders and well oiled machine since Roos was there. I think any coach would be able to coach that list fairly well. Lot of difference between being an assistant of players that can do what you ask and players that are young that cannot deliver what is needed. Never been tested in that situation. Who knows.

Barker - Has the players playing for him. Last two weeks have been disappointing, but playing kids against senior lists is a hard task. Young players run out of gas and can't run out the game. As you saw last night, they looked lazy, but they were cooked in the 4th. Always takes a few preseasons to get the legs.

Unless you can convince Ratten to come back, then l think you have to take Barker. Get some good assistants around him. The key is having good assistants. Overall strategy comes from the senior coach, but the implementation and tweaks come down to the assistants, they spend the most time with the players in their area.

Barker in unless the wheels really fall off and get some good assistants in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:30 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kennyhunter wrote:
Like Barker and the way he goes about it but there's a strong argument for bringing in someone new from a successful program.
That said, have Bolton, Lloyd and Dew ever operated in a culture and environment such as Carlton circa 2015? They are in for shock of their lives. Least Barker knows the score.
They have to implement at Carlton what has brought sustained success at their clubs while taking the hits along the way. Their support staff will be critical. We can't afford to penny pinch with the assistants again. Even if we are broke ... :cry:

I expressed similar reservations for young "first timers" in another thread as we can't compare what Beveridge and Simpson have walked into at WB and West Coast to what they'd experience coming to Carlton.

On the other hand I don't want any failed "second timers" or yesterday's heroes, so it's a massive call.

Of the three only Lloyd would have seen similar to what we are in, having been at three different clubs over a 15 year period including starting at Fremantle as Senior Development Coach in 2010 when they were still a poorly run Football Club.

Whilst coming from the two most successful recent programs Hawks had won a flag in '08 just before Bolton joining at Sydney in '05 before Dew went there in '09.

What a full process should determine is how much of the success was implemented by each candidate, and how much was just fitting into a role and successful structure that had already been created and - as one poster put it - have merely been riding the coat tails of the hard work from others...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

barker, i like him, and he made an immediate impact which was a nice surprise. but, he's too heavily embedded in our horrific on field culture, performance and talent development over the last half a decade.

we need new people from top to bottom in the cfc organisation. if the board won't remove themselves, the least they do is roll over all new coaching, football and scouting departments. no expense spared either.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:06 pm 
Bob Chitty

I agree with what your saying Braithy. The question needs to asked though is how much influence or say did Bark's have in those areas. He was an assistant coach under Ratten and Malthouse. Both I believe like to have total control over the football department. I was never really considering Bark's for the senior gig but I am now warming to the idea. I would not be disappointed if he got the job. At least he knows what he is up against. Lets be honest it is going be one massive job.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:17 pm 
Robert Walls

I really hope that our recruitment panel have a better recruitment strategy than: Let's just give the job to Barker because there's no other options out there and it's all too hard anyway, and the players seem to listen to him ''

FFS

What successful team chose that strategy? Ever????

This is a job worth getting.

There are plenty of candidates out there if we are good enough to identify them

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

This coach that coach, what do we know. No coach can do much better with this list. We could win 4 games next year and havena good year, if you see growth in the young players and have competitive losses

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:23 pm 
Craig Bradley

What if Barker is the best candidate... do we not give him the job just because he's been here for a while?

People wanted Alan Richardson and he was here for a while.

I don't know about Bolton though... there's something that doesn't sit right with him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Hornet wrote:
What if Barker is the best candidate... do we not give him the job just because he's been here for a while?

People wanted Alan Richardson and he was here for a while.

I don't know about Bolton though... there's something that doesn't sit right with him.

True, but Richardson had also been at Collingwood, Essendon*, Port, Western Bulldogs as well as coaching his own VFL team. His time at Carlton in the overall scheme of his career was much less than Barker's.

Barker joined Hawthorn after the '08 flag and their supporters argue that their forward line was a rabble during the team he was their line coach in '09/'10.

Was also at St Kilda and they became unbeatable (bar finals) the year after he left. Could have been coincidence, could have been because of the great work he did in the previous 2 years. Who knows.

The question that none of us ever know - except through heresay and speculative dot joining - is how much influence they were allowed to be given to shape their teams fortunes.

We spend so much time, making cases for or against the likes of Ratten and Malthouse and never agree as to how much responsibility they should take as far as all aspects that make a successful club. ie recruiting, board, culture, development, list management, high performance etc etc so we have no idea where the assistants stand in the make up a club....

.....and even if it's proven they had a huge influence can they then be able to transform those skills into then becoming a successful senior coach?......

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

I don't care how good Barker is as a coach. Anyone who loses by a record margin (the highest margin in Carlton's history) does not deserve the coaching gig.. (no matter how much rubbish he has on the field).and then yet again getting a Hawthorn bloke Bolton in who has never played football at the top level...this reminds me of the debacle with Wayne Brittain. I don't want them to go down the path of a worn out older coach either, even if that old coach such as Worsfold has won a premiership, but who is to say.. we aren't privy to all the conversations etc that go on behind the scenes. Maybe one of these three options 1) Barker 2) Hawthorn assistant 3) old fuddy duddy coach will work?
Really I have no idea as to what is the right choice...I just hope the decision makers make the right decision as a lot is resting on it...

Last edited by tap in 79 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:18 pm 
Horrie Clover

I really think we are on a winner with Barker, not sure why the negativity. He has enormous experience with all sorts of team situations and coaching styles, he went through the demise of Fitroy, the re location to Brisbane, the birth of the Clarkson era at Hawthorn and the Lyon era at StKilda. That is a very nice CV. He presents well, he should be odds on to get this job.

As a player he was coached by ten coaches; many lessons there!
Shaw, Quinlan, McConnell, Nunan, Northey, Judge, Schwab, Conolly, McDonald and Clarkson.

As an assistant he has worked for Lyon, Clarkson, Ratten and Malthouse.

Lets get right behind John if he gets the job.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:33 pm 
formerly BlueRob

I don't think Barker is the answer for reasons I've stated before.

I hope the club is still open minded about their choice and that they go for either Loyd or Dew.

Its going to be a huge job to repair the damage of the last 3 years and heaps of patience will be required.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 37  Next