Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:18 pm 
Collingwood Supporter

I've been told we don't have the money to appoint a Clarkson type coach.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:43 pm 
Rod Ashman

scottopee wrote:
This is the typical Carlton way go and get the best at another Club. Sick of hearing this why not try and find our own Clarko. We will never move with the times until the supporters do :banghead:
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

Quick Fix

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:48 pm 
Collingwood Supporter

The next coach will be a development type coach.

Someone like Clarkson is not going to come in and effectively report to the list manager in SOS.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:16 pm 
formerly King Kenny

The Duke wrote:
kennyhunter wrote:
Like someone said, they are just taking the piss.
BV's on the money.
That's all most of us are asking.

Yes - I agree. But maybe as far as Mick is concerned, he should realise his position as head coach at any club is finished and we could offer him a place on that panel.

Love him or hate him, Mick has more experience in football than anyone - ever. You prove yourself a complete dick if you let that sort of experience walk out the door.

Silvagni's report just played on SEN is spot on IMO. We are 5 years from being competitive with top 4 teams. And given you can only replace 3-4 players per season we need some time at the base of the ladder.

We're not Sydney - we can't poach the next superstar at will. We're not GC and GWS - we don't have 28 10 year players on our list.

We are Carlton - and we're [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] by the system, [REDACTED] by ourselves.

You can replace more than 3-4 players each year. It's who you replace them with that determines how long we are at the bottom.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

King Kenny wrote:
The Duke wrote:
kennyhunter wrote:
BV's on the money.

Yes - I agree. But maybe as far as Mick is concerned, he should realise his position as head coach at any club is finished and we could offer him a place on that panel.

Love him or hate him, Mick has more experience in football than anyone - ever. You prove yourself a complete dick if you let that sort of experience walk out the door.

Silvagni's report just played on SEN is spot on IMO. We are 5 years from being competitive with top 4 teams. And given you can only replace 3-4 players per season we need some time at the base of the ladder.

We're not Sydney - we can't poach the next superstar at will. We're not GC and GWS - we don't have 28 10 year players on our list.

We are Carlton - and we're [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] by the system, [REDACTED] by ourselves.

You can replace more than 3-4 players each year. It's who you replace them with that determines how long we are at the bottom.

If you replace any more than 3-4 then you're replacing spuds with potatoes.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:42 pm 
Ken Hunter

John James wrote:
I've been told we don't have the money to appoint a Clarkson type coach.

Maybe we could lobby the AFL to pay for our next coach.
They did it for Melbourne who were in no worse position than we are now.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:23 pm 
Bert Deacon

no to clarko his already won several flags , like someone else suggested we need to find the next great coach.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

John James wrote:
The next coach will be a development type coach.

Someone like Clarkson is not going to come in and effectively report to the list manager in SOS.

That would be a Clarkson-type coach...

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

ThePsychologist wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:
scottopee wrote:
This is the typical Carlton way go and get the best at another Club. Sick of hearing this why not try and find our own Clarko. We will never move with the times until the supporters do :banghead:

:thumbsup:

:clap:

it needs to be said. it's the truth.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:25 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The Duke wrote:

spot on again. this place is on fire this arvy.

it's MM's wholesale changes haven't stuck. we've swapped high picks for medium, and shipped out players who had a role (our forward line) and bought in players who aren't up to it. we should have known they weren't up to it, because they couldn't get games at their old clubs.

but nah ... carlton knows best.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

Braithy wrote:
The Duke wrote:

spot on again. this place is on fire this arvy.

it's MM's wholesale changes haven't stuck. we've swapped high picks for medium, and shipped out players who had a role (our forward line) and bought in players who aren't up to it. we should have known they weren't up to it, because they couldn't get games at their old clubs.

but nah ... carlton knows best.

Plenty of coaches have shown recycling players can work. IF you identify the right players and have specific roles for them.

Like Darren Jolly, for example. ;)

Whatever the reasons, Malthouse has not been able to have the influence at Carlton as he has at his previous clubs.

Whether that's because the game has passed him by, or the board is too dysfunctional and confused, or a combination of both is largely moot. We just need to move on.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:56 pm 
Craig Bradley

The Duke wrote:
King Kenny wrote:
The Duke wrote:
kennyhunter wrote:
BV's on the money.

Please. Frawley was an awful coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:57 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Why would clarko leave hawthorn ?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

Challenge lol

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

Won't come... too young to have his reputation destroyed and never coach again...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

camelboy wrote:

Whatever the reasons, Malthouse has not been able to have the influence at Carlton as he has at his previous clubs.

Whether that's because the game has passed him by, or the board is too dysfunctional and confused, or a combination of both is largely moot. We just need to move on.

i think it's the pressure malthouse heaped onto himself when he took the job. he looked at the list, said he'd been watching us closely and thought with this list he could win. we're at 11 o'clock, etc etc

then we proceeded to stink it up ... so malthouse started gambling more, taking more risks trying to turn over more of the list by using one high pick to effectively yield a bag of spuds in return.

everything carlton does is in a hurry. we need to slow it all down right now and reload the right way, imo.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:09 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Agree. I don't have any issue with the turning over of the list - we all know that there was a lot of deadwood there.

We should have brought in younger kids generally and not wasted our draft picks but the problem really is we are sh!t at developing even kids that have some talent.

Than I used to, my love

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

The Duke wrote:
We need pick 1 - and at least two more in the top 20 and we need stability. The only way we are going to be able to compete with GWS, GC and Sydney in the next decade is to have quality on our list.

If we think we can get quality via picks 8, 26, 44, 62 and Rookie selections xxxxxxx we're fools.

Exactly.
It`s a good time to be crap. (2016 slogan/bumper sticker)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:20 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

like they say in the nba. you want to finish bottom 3 and reload with the cream of the draft class. mid table obscurity is the worst place to be. not good enough to win it all, not bad enough to reload with the high draft picks.

i want malthouse gone so the damage he's doing isn't irreparable to the few good kids we do have. i'm no longer phased by the spoon. i like where that will take us, and i have faith that SOS will deliver us an excellent list.

will we develop them the right way, is the next question.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next