Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:00 pm 
John Nicholls

My family has had significant business dealings with MlG's family dating back to the 90's. He's a guy you want on your side, and no question he gets great things done behind the scenes. He just lacks polish as a presenter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:11 pm 
Geoff Southby

robertbb wrote:
My family has had significant business dealings with MlG's family dating back to the 90's. He's a guy you want on your side, and no question he gets great things done behind the scenes. He just lacks polish as a presenter.

Fair enough, but perception is reality in the AFL landscape. He needs PR advice and media training ASAP.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:16 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

robertbb wrote:

If your organisation is serious about maximising its ability to attract members doesn't your leader need to be a polished presenter ?

Seems low membership is never the boards fault.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

MLG was taken to the cleaners by Danny Frawley this morning on SEN. Danny @#$%&! Frawley!!

Hardly inspiring stuff. No use saying he needs to get better at it. Not going to happen.

The media manager has a lot to answer for as far as I'm concerned. The unnecessary waffling message regarding the yes vote. The waffling garbled message about the "resignation"of the CEO. It's been a disappointing couple of weeks for the club.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

The reality is the clubs' finances are in a concerning state and haven't improved to the liking of the afl and board since Triggs arrival. The levers for this are membership, sponsorship, commercial operations (merchandise, coteries, fundraising etc) and debt management. Read between the lines, Virgin is an AFL sponsor, and rescued us as we couldn't attract a new sponsor, and Trigg oversaw the acquisition of CareerOne and whilst not responsible for their demise, ultimately couldn't find another major sponsor.

Trigg has done a great job in the areas of uniting the club, community engagement, diversity and inclusion, AFLW, and the public image of Carlton. I've liked what he has brought to our club, and thank him for his energy and dedication to our cause. He did oversee the extension of Hyundai as major sponsor, so big tick.

What I'm interested in is particularly the boards' responsibility and accountability in all this. 75% of the board are long term board members and have overseen poor governance and decision making in football decisions, Ratten, MM appointments and their sackings, poor list management and recruitment over 15 years and now this decision. All while they have retained their positions on the board.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Donstuie wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
I smell a rat. None of this adds up.

Madhouse?

Of course ... I had forgotten about him :grin: !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:04 am 
Ken Hunter

Wangers wrote:
The reality is the clubs' finances are in a concerning state and haven't improved to the liking of the afl and board since Triggs arrival. The levers for this are membership, sponsorship, commercial operations (merchandise, coteries, fundraising etc) and debt management. Read between the lines, Virgin is an AFL sponsor, and rescued us as we couldn't attract a new sponsor, and Trigg oversaw the acquisition of CareerOne and whilst not responsible for their demise, ultimately couldn't find another major sponsor.

Trigg has done a great job in the areas of uniting the club, community engagement, diversity and inclusion, AFLW, and the public image of Carlton. I've liked what he has brought to our club, and thank him for his energy and dedication to our cause. He did oversee the extension of Hyundai as major sponsor, so big tick.

What I'm interested in is particularly the boards' responsibility and accountability in all this. 75% of the board are long term board members and have overseen poor governance and decision making in football decisions, Ratten, MM appointments and their sackings, poor list management and recruitment over 15 years and now this decision. All while they have retained their positions on the board.

Good post I would say.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:15 am 
Bruce Doull

What Dawwg said ^^^....!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

aboynamedsue wrote:
I didn't say I want to get rid of him, but his communication skills are not at the level. I cringe whenever I hear him speak publicly. He either needs to improve in that regard or let someone else be the front man.

Absolutely. Perhaps MLG is a strong board performer but he's terrible representing the club in the media.
Danny Frawley is a brainless flog and he made MLG look like an amateur yesterday. And not for the first time.
It was embarrassing listening to it.
If we don't have a person on the board who can represent the club well, get one. If MLG can't accept that, @#$%&! him off.

Efforts like the past 72 hours have the capacity to deflate months worth of momentum.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:55 am 
Bruce Doull

Wangers wrote:

Blue Vain wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
I didn't say I want to get rid of him, but his communication skills are not at the level. I cringe whenever I hear him speak publicly. He either needs to improve in that regard or let someone else be the front man.

Absolutely. Perhaps MLG is a strong board performer but he's terrible representing the club in the media.
Danny Frawley is a brainless flog and he made MLG look like an amateur yesterday. And not for the first time.
It was embarrassing listening to it.
If we don't have a person on the board who can represent the club well, get one. If MLG can't accept that, @#$%&! him off.

Efforts like the past 72 hours have the capacity to deflate months worth of momentum.

Both nailed it IMO.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:35 am 
Geoff Southby

Wangers wrote:

Great post. :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:54 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:

Wasn't the constitution changed a few years back where the president selects who goes on and off the board through a special committee? If so, the Carlton Football club is MLG.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:10 am 
formerly King Kenny

aboynamedsue wrote:
robertbb wrote:

Fair enough, but perception is reality in the AFL landscape. He needs PR advice and media training ASAP.

I honestly don’t care.

Apart from Eddie and Jeff, I don’t even know who the other presidents are.

Employ the right CEO and move on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:47 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Wangers wrote:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:09 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The proof is in the reality - we're not one of the big 4 and we're lagging behind in the membership stakes.

We can't hide behind the "when we win they will come" strategy any longer.

Time for the Board to put up or get out.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:13 am 
John Nicholls

Completely agree with Wangers' post RE: Trigg, and the board.

In regards specifically to the functioning of the board, my view is that the Independent Nominations Committee as established by MlG as one of his first acts as Pres, is a double edged sword. I think it was conceived with good intentions, namely to *prevent* factions from forming. But of course, like any environment in which there isn't full transparency, does have the power to be abused. Only time will tell if it is, but I think so far so good. Worth keeping an eye on though.

MlG has never been one to communicate well as soon as the cameras are on... watch him introduce Bolton at his first presser... stumbles his words, seems to lack authority. He needs to be kept away from the media as much as possible, but also needs to be allowed to continue to bridge gaps between power brokers at the club and reach out to many of the club faithful that have been kept on the outer for the past few decades. It's a delicate balance, an unenviable position, and under the circumstances I think progress has been immense. Lots of work still to do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:38 am 
Ken Hunter

We will keep struggling along until we fix our home game arrangements and club culture. MCG and PP is were the financial future and growth of membership base lies. Loser/high draft picks mentality needs to be eradicated. Broken record but....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:40 pm 
Serge Silvagni

99prelim wrote:
trublu wrote:
I’m glad he’s gone. And im sure many others at the club would be to.

Expand

oops

Last edited by trublu on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:49 pm 
Serge Silvagni

AGRO wrote:
The proof is in the reality - we're not one of the big 4 and we're lagging behind in the membership stakes.

We can't hide behind the "when we win they will come" strategy any longer.

Time for the Board to put up or get out.

The club has never ever been better and you want to call for a board spill. THIS IS THE OLD CARLTON

Sometimes i think supporters on here are so bored with their own lives that they just love drama to keep them going.

JUST BE PATIENT. OUR TIME WILL COME

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ ... t-52900010

barass70 wrote:
The Old Dark Navy's wrote:
I thought so. Office has been tight to date.

This would all have gone brilliantly had Caro not forced our hand. She says Trigg has been treated poorly but she has brought forward the public scrutiny.
Thanks to Kate Jenkins and there was know rift between SOS and Trigg and don’t believe all the bullshit in the media maybe timing wasn’t right but there’s never is..

barass70 wrote:
Trigg was more involved in women’s league than focusing on sponsorship and membership Trigg is a good bloke but won’t take us to next step let’s all move on because our next CEO will be one of best going around believe you me

barass70 wrote:
The Bighouse wrote:
KJ spilt the beans to Caro?

But no issue with SOS/Trigger..
Caro and Jenkins are very close and SOS is upset it’s all bullshit and Jenkins was the first to interview Lethlean

As usual, terrible grammar but some interesting tidbits.

#GUILTY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next