Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 43  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:06 am 
Geoff Southby

Stone Free wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Stone Free wrote:
And yet, inexplicably, Andy McKay is STILL there. :banghead:

I'm convinced he has incriminating photos of a club board member. Astounding given his involvement in f*cking up our list/cap position for years.

The mind absolutely boggles. I see video footage from The Journey and he just kinda watches meetings and training slyly off in the distance somewhere as if he's continuously checking up on Bolton. If he was an ice cream flavour, he'd be vanilla. Is it a coincidence our recent run of shitfulness started when Icke left? I dunno.

Our recent run of shitfulness goes back further than that! We've been pretty lame for 20+ years. :donk:

The time to replace the Football Manager probably isn't on the eve of trade week, but I agree McKay doesn't inspire confidence. Hopefully we get someone better early next year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:31 am 
John Nicholls

Stone Free wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Stone Free wrote:

I'm convinced he has incriminating photos of a club board member. Astounding given his involvement in f*cking up our list/cap position for years.

The mind absolutely boggles. I see video footage from The Journey and he just kinda watches meetings and training slyly off in the distance somewhere as if he's continuously checking up on Bolton. If he was an ice cream flavour, he'd be vanilla. Is it a coincidence our recent run of shitfulness started when Icke left? I dunno.

Watches slyly off in the distance eh... well, we all know what that looks like at the end:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:47 am 
Stephen Silvagni

sinbagger wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
MLG also spoke on trade radio
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-06/b ... or-ceo-job

The common theme seems to be that after Trigg helped to stabilise the club (personnel, culture etc), a 'different personality' is needed to take things to the next step, which is to "Make Carlton great again" financially and in terms of membership.

None of this is unreasonable, and despite the progress we've made these are areas we continue to fall short in. As stable and calming as Trigg's been, there's obviously a shortcoming in truly engaging with our (seemingly massive) apathetic supporter group that needs a more aggressive approach. Is that Lethlean? MLG seems to think so based on those comments.

I just wish that this was all done during a quieter time. This is the time of year that all clubs are under the microscope and all decisions and perceptions are critical. For this to happen right after the season's conclusion and on the eve of the trade period, is horrendous timing IMO.

Hmm, so if we replace Trigg then that solves everything because all the problems were caused by Trigg right?

Our board is very good at pointing the finger elsewhere.

Absolute masters.

One wonders whether some of them would actually progress past a truly independent nominations committee... ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:22 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Donstuie wrote:
MLG also spoke on trade radio
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-06/b ... or-ceo-job

The common theme seems to be that after Trigg helped to stabilise the club (personnel, culture etc), a 'different personality' is needed to take things to the next step, which is to "Make Carlton great again" financially and in terms of membership.

None of this is unreasonable, and despite the progress we've made these are areas we continue to fall short in. As stable and calming as Trigg's been, there's obviously a shortcoming in truly engaging with our (seemingly massive) apathetic supporter group that needs a more aggressive approach. Is that Lethlean? MLG seems to think so based on those comments.

I just wish that this was all done during a quieter time. This is the time of year that all clubs are under the microscope and all decisions and perceptions are critical. For this to happen right after the season's conclusion and on the eve of the trade period, is horrendous timing IMO.

https://twitter.com/traderadio/status/916118497687609345

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:31 pm 
formerly BlueRob

I smell a rat. None of this adds up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

BigBlueWave wrote:
I smell a rat. None of this adds up.

Madhouse?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

Unlike Trigg, Lethlean doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would connect easily with the rank and file. Lethlean is a full card-carrying member of the Good Ole Boys network, so I take it as an indication that the club intends to back off on the community engagement and ramp up the corporate connections.

Not saying that's necessarily the wrong idea, I'm just hoping the club doesn't slip back into the elitist and exclusive ways which turned off so many members in the first place.

Trigg's "resignation" (*cough*) has been a mess and these recent PR hits are eroding away at the good will which the club had restored since Trigg's arrival.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:50 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

all the talk of unity...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:56 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
I hope the decision is made on merit and not to shore up SOS' power base.

Said the same thing to my mate...when SOS doesn't like something, he'll go running to his best friend MLG who will 'make it better'

Let's wait and see but please, no regression FFS!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:57 pm 
Robert Walls

trublu wrote:
I’m glad he’s gone. And im sure many others at the club would be to.

Expand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:37 pm 
Bruce Doull

The proof will be in the pudding, but let's hope that the introduction of our new CEO is more professionally handled than the exit of our latest one.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

MLG's performance in that Trade Radio interview was embarrassing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:55 pm 
Bruce Comben

Stone Free wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:02 pm 
Bruce Comben

aboynamedsue wrote:
Stone Free wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Stone Free wrote:

Our recent run of shitfulness goes back further than that! We've been pretty lame for 20+ years. :donk:

The time to replace the Football Manager probably isn't on the eve of trade week, but I agree McKay doesn't inspire confidence. Hopefully we get someone better early next year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

aboynamedsue wrote:

That's another thing. Whoever comes in needs to have a modicum of charisma and communication skills.

Trigg was solid in this regard, but if we're fair dinkum about increasing membership we need someone who can inspire. MLG and McKay create zero excitement when they speak.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:03 pm 
Bruce Comben

Spot on Observation. Andrew McKay has been as much part of the problem and not the solution setting the blues back many years with his botched up incompetence in both the recruiting and player contracts over the years prior to SOS returning to the fold.

Silvagni would have been in absolute shock & disbelief in what confronted him with the over inflated player list contracts, in which he is now trying to very hard to rectify and balance ...

I shudder when thinking back to the Jackcsh & wiley deal for pick 7 in which he was a big part of the negotiations at the time as well as unbelievably extending the contracts of players such as Warnock for an extra 3 years...
Not to mention the lack back bone in not confronting Malthouse when dealing with Betts for an extra lousy 50,000 a year and agreeing to get an injured daisy to the club on 5 year contract on big coin while no other club was interested at the time ...

It gets worse.. when McKay announced to all clubs of the pending fire sale for both Robinson and Garlett and getting absolutely nothing in return..

You only have to listen to him on Trade radio to realise that he is so uninspiring to listen to which would have an impact on the potential recruiting of opposition players ..

No coincidence that he missed out on the recent footy mangers role with AFL role that Hocking got..

Now that his SA mate Triggy has gone, it might be time for the blues to advise McKay that he services are no longer required. and go for someone like Balmey who has made a huge difference in a similar role at Richmond .
Great Premiership Player and servant of the club but unfortunately that doesn’t always equate to be being a good footy Administrator..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:07 pm 
Serge Silvagni

aboynamedsue wrote:

Its not a popularity contest. You wont find a more passionate hard work and dedicated man than MLG. If you want to get rid of him, say goodbye to this club for good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

trublu wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Its not a popularity contest. You wont find a more passionate hard work and dedicated man than MLG. If you want to get rid of him, say goodbye to this club for good.

Huh? When MLG goes someone else will step in and things will continue along. Yes, he's doing a good job to try and turn this club around, but we still have a long way to go. I think you might be overplaying his performance in his role.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:43 pm 
Geoff Southby

trublu wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

MLG seems like a well meaning guy who loves the club. And I'm sure he works hard and with the best of intentions.

But if they were the only qualities required to be an AFL president, you or I could do it.....

I didn't say I want to get rid of him, but his communication skills are not at the level. I cringe whenever I hear him speak publicly. He either needs to improve in that regard or let someone else be the front man.

Unfortunately he presents as a puppet to the real power players (Pratt, Mathieson, Silvagni, the AFL...).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

I hope the club knows what it is doing. Apparently the club received a lot of phone calls today from some very angry supporters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 43  Next