Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Madeline Keryk Lochie O'Brien Madeline Keryk CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:45 am 
Offline
Stephen Silvagni
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:17 am
Posts: 28041
Braithy wrote:
The Normal One wrote:

Brisbane isn’t a bottom 4 club on form.



nah, i agree 110%.

living on the GC i've seen as much of the lions play this year as i have carlton. even when they were losing, they were in every game. you could see a game plan, you could see the way they wanted to play, and most of all you could see the players buying into it.


brisbane are on a really similar trajectory to us, with all these high draft picks over the same period. but as a club off the field, and a team on it, they seem to be light years ahead of us. the contrast of watching them play and us is really painful to watch.


One of the Brisbane players is also on record saying that it's been great that they've been able to get continuity playing as a group the last 6 weeks. Something Carlton hasn't had the luxury of at all this season.

_________________
"One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds." - Frank Zappa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:18 am 
Offline
formerly BlueRob
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:45 pm
Posts: 2677
Please ... no more Elliots in power at Carlton. Its the last thing we need.

_________________
'How I learnt to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb' ... Dr Strangelove (A.K.A Darth Vader ... A.K.A Tricky Micky Super Duper Coach ... A.K.A THE MADHOUSE).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:22 am 
Offline
Robert Walls
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:42 pm
Posts: 3693
Wojee wrote:
Braithy wrote:
The Normal One wrote:

Brisbane isn’t a bottom 4 club on form.



nah, i agree 110%.

living on the GC i've seen as much of the lions play this year as i have carlton. even when they were losing, they were in every game. you could see a game plan, you could see the way they wanted to play, and most of all you could see the players buying into it.


brisbane are on a really similar trajectory to us, with all these high draft picks over the same period. but as a club off the field, and a team on it, they seem to be light years ahead of us. the contrast of watching them play and us is really painful to watch.


One of the Brisbane players is also on record saying that it's been great that they've been able to get continuity playing as a group the last 6 weeks. Something Carlton hasn't had the luxury of at all this season.



yeah i do 100% agree, we can't measure the impact that our injury list has had on this season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:32 am 
Offline
Ken Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:29 am
Posts: 13049
Tom Elliot had his massive tanty on 3AW regarding the new appointments and Carlton being undemocratic.

Sometimes though, members get it wrong too.

Ron Gauci, former CEO of Melbourne Storm and a noted “fixer-upperer” (my words) of businesses has run for the Essendon* board twice and failed to get on.

I have no doubt that Essendon* would be a better run club with Ron assisting rather than looking on from the sidelines.

_________________
The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect
So hard to earn, so easily burned
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:39 am 
Offline
Stephen Silvagni
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:46 am
Posts: 26207
Carlton members have sadly allowed the constitution to be altered in favour of the incumbents. It will come home to roost again one day.

_________________
WHO WANTS TO WALK... WITH CRIPPA ??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:22 am 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:09 pm
Posts: 15025
Rexy wrote:
Carlton members have sadly allowed the constitution to be altered in favour of the incumbents. It will come home to roost again one day.


It was very sad - but as I learned a few years ago, the average Carlton fan doesn't give a rats about the off-field happenings. That is, until it's too late...and by then it's too late.

Having said that - the club is travelling along ok, but I think people have underestimated the assistance we got from the AFL during the Trigg years. We now have a CEO who is genuinely capable of growing the club - not just managing the status quo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:28 am 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:36 am
Posts: 4035
I’m afraid after this week the stench
Of the past still exists at Carlton
Belushi has no idea
His mate SOS wouldn’t know talent if he fell over it

The idea of a rebuild is good but
The wrong people once again are implementing it

It’s the sticks era mark 2

We need a completely new board
But it seems Jake is right on one thing when he says
Board takeovers are a thing of the past

Tom can rant as much as he likes
It changes nothing

Bottom line folks
In the end it’s all about wins and losses
in this caper


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:53 am 
Offline
Horrie Clover

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 334
DocSherrin III wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Carlton members have sadly allowed the constitution to be altered in favour of the incumbents. It will come home to roost again one day.


It was very sad - but as I learned a few years ago, the average Carlton fan doesn't give a rats about the off-field happenings. That is, until it's too late...and by then it's too late.

Having said that - the club is travelling along ok, but I think people have underestimated the assistance we got from the AFL during the Trigg years. We now have a CEO who is genuinely capable of growing the club - not just managing the status quo.


i think our impressive rise in membership this year is a testament to that. we all know our supporter base is much larger than our membership numbers suggest.

it's just no coincidence this has improved in the first year of our new CEO....especially after what he built at richmond in their tough times this decade.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:43 pm 
Offline
Alex Jesaulenko
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:06 pm
Posts: 24486
Location: Half back flank
Doc do you have any news on why Kate Jenkins stepped down? It feels like she only joined the board 5 minutes ago

_________________
#DonTheStash


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:57 pm 
Offline
Alex Jesaulenko
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:00 pm
Posts: 20566
Location: Kaloyasena
Unfortunately the statue builders allow these things to happen.


Sticks and SOS are absolute legends as footballers - but as for being involved with running a football club.


I’m hearing that another former premiership player (95 vintage) is trying to galvanise support for a challenge - but the constitution changes put in place by MLG make it an almost impossible task.


The days of members being to vote out an incompetent board as we did back in 2002 are well and truly over.


Unfortunately we really do have to trust in MLG and SOS - hope everyone has their fingers crossed.

_________________
I BELIEVE we need to invest in more concrete and spend less on wallpaper


"Hence you will not say that Greeks fight like heroes but that heroes fight like Greeks"?

Winston Churchill



Too much Sugar and too much Bleach is very very boring.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:15 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:09 pm
Posts: 15025
CK95 wrote:
Doc do you have any news on why Kate Jenkins stepped down? It feels like she only joined the board 5 minutes ago


Nah - I got nothing. Pretty sure the demands on her job is a legitimate reason for her departure. I'm not a fan of the timing of it all...that's not great. Kate attended 8 (out of 10) board meetings last year - she's also on the board of the Heide Museum of Modern Art where she attended 6 (out of 7) meetings last year. She's staying on the Heide board as far as I can ascertain. Financially her contribution wasn't very good and we can criticize Zac Fried til the cows come home, but last year Zac donated $35,000 towards hosting the AFLW B&F and at the end of 2016 donated $40,000 towards the refurbishment of the Media Centre. That's not to say he can't continue to do those things as a life member, but of course it's very conditional on the successes of Spotlight™* and Anaconda™**.

*Bargains Galore! (Lowest Prices Guaranteed)
**Play More - Pay Less! (10% Price Beat Guarantee)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:20 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:09 pm
Posts: 15025
AGRO wrote:
Unfortunately we really do have to trust in MLG and SOS - hope everyone has their fingers crossed.


Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:08 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:37 pm
Posts: 15649
Location: afl.virtualsports.com.au
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the ... 4zsuo.html

The fan’s genuine power is as consumer only
By Jake Niall
21 July 2018 — 10:00pm

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Send via Email

View all comments

"In footy clubs, the members control the club. The club does not control the members…We used to have a democracy of sorts at Carlton, as we do at most other footy clubs.’’ Tom Elliott, on 3AW.

In truth, there’s precious little democracy at AFL clubs. Carlton under the leadership of Mark LoGiudice isn’t much different to Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, Essendon*, St Kilda or indeed, any of the traditional clubs, in terms of where the power resides.

None of these clubs are controlled “by the members’’. Few of those who sit on the boards of those clubs have faced a contested election. They’re usually appointed to fill a “casual vacancy’’, or elected unopposed.

_________________
"You are being watched. The government has a secret system. A machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know because I built it." - Finch


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 am 
Offline
Harry Vallence

Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:06 am
Posts: 1627
"It was during Jack's era that decisions were made that brought the football club to its knees."

David Parkin weighs in on the Carlton FC board drama ahead of #AFLSaintsTigershttps://soundcloud.com/abc_grandstand/afl-r18-parkin-on-carlton-football-club …

7:58 PM - Jul 20, 2018


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:42 am 
Offline
Harry Vallence

Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:06 am
Posts: 1627
David Parkin on Grandstand: I was quite incensed by Tom Elliott’s comment. It was a ridiculous thing to say. It was the system that got his father appointed and every club I have been involved with has worked this way, the club appoints and members have the opportunity to vote.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 am 
Offline
Harry Vallence

Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:06 am
Posts: 1627
https://twitter.com/abcgrandstand/statu ... 2060176384


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:55 am 
Offline
Stephen Silvagni
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 28358
Location: COMFORTABLY DISSATISFIED
What “Board drama”??

Two stepped down, and were replaced. What’s so @#$%&! dramatic about that?

Good on Parko for slapping Elliott. No one from that family should ever have anything to do with the club except buying a membership.

_________________
WADA medical director Dr Alan Vernec describes Essendon* FC drug case as biggest scandal in team sport the world of sport has seen. #WC2WB

#GUILTY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:56 am 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:09 pm
Posts: 15025
Trigger wrote:
David Parkin on Grandstand: I was quite incensed by Tom Elliott’s comment. It was a ridiculous thing to say. It was the system that got his father appointed and every club I have been involved with has worked this way, the club appoints and members have the opportunity to vote.


:banghead: Not entirely true Parko...and when is the last time Carlton members got a vote?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:01 am 
Offline
Stephen Silvagni
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:46 am
Posts: 26207
It's true the only way now for members to cause change is to withhold their hard earned.

_________________
WHO WANTS TO WALK... WITH CRIPPA ??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:23 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:37 pm
Posts: 15649
Location: afl.virtualsports.com.au
Real Footy (AFL)
‏Verified account @agerealfooty
10m10 minutes ago

The season is over for 10 clubs and this week on the #realfootypod, @mickgleeson, @JakeNiallTHEAGE, Caroline Wilson and Jimmy Bartel are firing up the blowtorch

https://twitter.com/agerealfooty/status ... 7608673285

"The AFL might have to intervene at Carlton"

_________________
"You are being watched. The government has a secret system. A machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know because I built it." - Finch


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group