Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 174  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

Quote:
Gibbons did reveal the constant speculation around the club’s preview hurt morale and focus at the Blues labelling it “incredibly stressful”.

Was that before the review?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

malbi wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trade-period-2021-live-updates-day-6-player-movement-continues-as-jordan-dawson-bobby-hill-rory-lobb-seek-late-moves-20211010-p58ytb.html?post=p52y0r#p52y0r

Say what you like about the review whether it was right or wrong to do a cleanout. Here is one ex-player Gibbons who says that it destabilised the playing group.

Quote:
Gibbons did reveal the constant speculation around the club’s preview hurt morale and focus at the Blues labelling it “incredibly stressful”.

“It creates, I wouldn’t say toxic (environment), but it’s pretty unspoken,” Gibbons said.

“When you sit down and have a chat to blokes towards the latter end of the year, it was getting to everyone.

“No fault of the media, but it was in the media every day and it becomes a bit of a cycle.”

Interesting article. Too bad it removes the context.

Quote:
He said it did have an impact on the atmosphere at the club.

“It was incredibly stressful,” he continued.

“If you talk to anyone throughout that time, a lot of people will try and play it off, but you’ve got coaches who don’t know if they’ll be there next year having to perform weekly and stay positive and players in the same position.

“It creates a, I wouldn’t say toxic (environment), but it’s pretty unspoken. When you sit down and have a chat to blokes towards the latter end of the year, it was getting to everyone.

“No fault of the media, but it was in the media every day and it becomes a bit of a cycle.”

As I've posted elsewhere, he said that "you’ve got coaches who don’t know if they’ll be there next year having to perform weekly and stay positive and players in the same position."
How is that different to the 17 other clubs? Every club will make delistings, many clubs have had coaches move or lose their jobs. Many players and coaches knew full well that they were uncontracted and not being approached to re-sign. To suggest Carlton are on their own as the article implies is rubbish. I feel for Gibbo but he's no different to another 50-100 players who will be delisted across the AFL.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

CK95 wrote:
Quote:

Was that before the review?

Yes. I saw that. It might have been a mis-spell by the editor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:32 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
malbi wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trade-period-2021-live-updates-day-6-player-movement-continues-as-jordan-dawson-bobby-hill-rory-lobb-seek-late-moves-20211010-p58ytb.html?post=p52y0r#p52y0r

Say what you like about the review whether it was right or wrong to do a cleanout. Here is one ex-player Gibbons who says that it destabilised the playing group.

Quote:

“It creates, I wouldn’t say toxic (environment), but it’s pretty unspoken,” Gibbons said.

“When you sit down and have a chat to blokes towards the latter end of the year, it was getting to everyone.

Quote:

“If you talk to anyone throughout that time, a lot of people will try and play it off, but you’ve got coaches who don’t know if they’ll be there next year having to perform weekly and stay positive and players in the same position.

“It creates a, I wouldn’t say toxic (environment), but it’s pretty unspoken. When you sit down and have a chat to blokes towards the latter end of the year, it was getting to everyone.

As I've posted elsewhere, he said that "you’ve got coaches who don’t know if they’ll be there next year having to perform weekly and stay positive and players in the same position."
How is that different to the 17 other clubs? Every club will make delistings, many clubs have had coaches move or lose their jobs. Many players and coaches knew full well that they were uncontracted and not being approached to re-sign. To suggest Carlton are on their own as the article implies is rubbish. I feel for Gibbo but he's no different to another 50-100 players who will be delisted across the AFL.

The difference is that Carlton was going through a public review. The other clubs were not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

malbi wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
malbi wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

The difference is that Carlton was going through a public review. The other clubs were not.

The review wasn’t public which is why none of us know what was in it.

It was a publicly announced external review.

Very different things.

If you’re a professional sportsman or professional anything you’re constantly under scrutiny and so they should be.

If Gibbons thought his position was assured he’s been living in la la land.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

There is just no nice way of delisting a player. Someone always comes out at this time of year a bit pee'd off with their club or the way it was handled.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

Maybe I’m just old school, but about time these soft c03k players learnt a thing or two about being in a high performance environment.

If you want to drive high standards and be the best of the best in any vocation you need pressure applied to be better.

It’s clear from the coaches to the players that everyone was a bit too comfortable in mediocrity and once the review started to challenge the standards the precious footy department failed to rise to the occasion, but rather went into self preservation mode.

Thank you Sayers for standing up for us supporters who a fronted up for a very long time, even when the players didn’t

Last edited by Steve_C7 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

Bring on number 17!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:39 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Steve_C7 wrote:
Maybe I’m just old school, but about time these soft c03k players learnt a thing or two about being in a high performance environment.

If you want to drive high standards and best the best of the best in any vocation you need pressure applied to be better. It’s clear from the coaches to the players that everyone was a bit too comfortable in mediocrity and once the review started to challenge the standards the precious footy department failed to rise to the occasion, but rather went into self preservation mode.

Thank you Sayers for standing up for us supporters who a fronted up for a very long time, even when the players didn’t

#like

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

Rexy wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

If you want to drive high standards and best the best of the best in any vocation you need pressure applied to be better. It’s clear from the coaches to the players that everyone was a bit too comfortable in mediocrity and once the review started to challenge the standards the precious footy department failed to rise to the occasion, but rather went into self preservation mode.

#like

Agree even if we were not privy to all the goings on!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:07 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Steve_C7 wrote:

If you want to drive high standards and be the best of the best in any vocation you need pressure applied to be better.

It’s clear from the coaches to the players that everyone was a bit too comfortable in mediocrity and once the review started to challenge the standards the precious footy department failed to rise to the occasion, but rather went into self preservation mode.

I think this may be SPOT ON

Go Blues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:43 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
malbi wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your actually too old school
The club’s culture has been if we don’t perform the knife is ready
You can’t win these days in that environment
Times change BV
Get with it
Yes there are delistings
It’s how you go about it that matters
I hope Gibbo makes it somewhere else

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:10 am 
Stephen Kernahan

How are our delistings any different to other clubs Keogh?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:37 am 
Ken Hunter

Keogh’s not happy with Coaches delisting players they don’t rate, but he’s all for giving the arse to about 10 players he doesn’t rate.

Seems logical. :lol: :lol:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:53 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Cazzesman wrote:
Keogh’s not happy with Coaches delisting players they don’t rate, but he’s all for giving the arse to about 10 players he doesn’t rate.

Regards Cazzesman

Bit harsh mate. He'll tell you in three years if we should have delisted them this week.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
There is just no nice way of delisting a player. Someone always comes out at this time of year a bit pee'd off with their club or the way it was handled.

So true

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:33 pm 
Rod Ashman

The tone of the article and some of the responses on here doesn't match with the actual interview that I heard.
Firstly, he said he was aware of the situation from before the season ended.
He went to make his case to Vossy with whom he spent a couple of hours with, and Vossy was pretty transparent (Gibbons' words).
Then he was obviously disappointed when told by Lloyd & Austin, with Vossy also on the call. He said he understood and that it would have also been tough for them.
Classy guy.
He was asked about confusion in the game plan and he said they trained all summer on an attacking game plan right from the backline.
They only started focusing on defense after a few rounds into the season when it became clear they were too easy to score against... (which says a fair bit). So that change might have caused confusion.
They asked whether he thought Teague should have been sacked. He started off saying he wasn't sure but ended up conceding that he was treated harshly. Tim & Gary were leading him in the interview.
They also asked him about playing forward when he was previously a gun midfielder, he said that initially under Bolton, that's where the opportunity was but then he liked playing there.

So, he was aware. He wants to keep playing. He was pretty gracious all round. He was led into a few of the responses written about. But pretty BAU as far as I'm concerned and no indictment on anyone. FYI, I would have personally liked to see him given a go in the midfield but them's the breaks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

17th Premiership wrote:
The tone of the article and some of the responses on here doesn't match with the actual interview that I heard.
Firstly, he said he was aware of the situation from before the season ended.
He went to make his case to Vossy with whom he spent a couple of hours with, and Vossy was pretty transparent (Gibbons' words).
Then he was obviously disappointed when told by Lloyd & Austin, with Vossy also on the call. He said he understood and that it would have also been tough for them.
Classy guy.
He was asked about confusion in the game plan and he said they trained all summer on an attacking game plan right from the backline.
They only started focusing on defense after a few rounds into the season when it became clear they were too easy to score against... (which says a fair bit). So that change might have caused confusion.
They asked whether he thought Teague should have been sacked. He started off saying he wasn't sure but ended up conceding that he was treated harshly. Tim & Gary were leading him in the interview.
They also asked him about playing forward when he was previously a gun midfielder, he said that initially under Bolton, that's where the opportunity was but then he liked playing there.

So, he was aware. He wants to keep playing. He was pretty gracious all round. He was led into a few of the responses written about. But pretty BAU as far as I'm concerned and no indictment on anyone. FYI, I would have personally liked to see him given a go in the midfield but them's the breaks.

Agree 100 % . I also listened to that interview . Mickey handled it very well and came across as a realistic bloke . .................for mine its just footy at this time of year at every Club . Some blokes are lucky and some aint . I like Mick and would have given him another gig but those are the breaks . But i gotta say in all honesty i think Mick will struggle to get a new home . Hope he does all the same .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

Heavs wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

Bit harsh mate. He'll tell you in three years if we should have delisted them this week.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:06 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
Exactly. Everytime there are redundancies in a work place someone will say "we understand there needs to be redundancies sometimes but it's the way they handled it".

Essentially, you are telling someone that you don't want them anymore.

No matter the method, no matter the empathy... That's the message.

There are methods that are more compassionate than others (ie don't do it on Xmas eve... I've seen it) but generally speaking, with that message you just accept it's going to be bad. And ride it out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 174  Next