Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:43 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:40 pm
Posts: 4781
frank dardew wrote:
Bloody oath it was took on all the hand wringing and opprobrium from the fourth estate personally and a few in here
Shook this club upon a manner not done since the Blues chased Ronald Dale
A Carlton hero in my view


George Harris , the father of the modern Carlton . Brought Marassi to the club and away we went . If Sayers does half as well we will be very lucky . .............I was a critic of Sayers simply coz he had been there for a long time with little effect . Reckon Sayers just wasn't a good second banana or backseat driver . He has shown that once he got behind the wheel himself he can drive .

_________________
All my dangerous friends


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:44 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:40 pm
Posts: 4781
Oops , thats BARASSI . Ronald Dale Barassi .

_________________
All my dangerous friends


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:39 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:27 pm
Posts: 4348
Location: Conservative Brisbane :O(
After the upheaval you haven't heard from him. Kudos. Jeff Kennet could learn a thing or two

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:28 am 
Offline
Ken Hands

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:58 pm
Posts: 410
We've heard nothing about him lately and that's the way I like it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:19 am 
Offline
Rod Ashman
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 12:15 am
Posts: 2971
Location: In Transit to WA
Thought I would give this thread a bump.

What a masterstroke his Presidency has turned out to be. Undertook the review. Made the tough calls, got rid of the dead wood and sneaky leakers. Put the right people in the right positions and empowered them. Set the challenge to make finals and stuck to his guns. Got this once great club back to being great again.

The best part about it is that you never hear from him. He doesn't shoot his mouth off to the media, publicly undermining the CEO, the Coach, the GM of Football or the GM of Recruitment like Kennett, McGuire et. al. He just lets them do their jobs.

I saw him saying a few words to Jack Newnes after his 200th game on Saturday and it is the first time I have seen him speak for months.

I don't think any of us truly understood how much change a new President and Board could bring. I certainly didn't.

Thank you to Luke and the Board. We are finally on our way to No. 17!! :clap:

_________________
"If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself" - Henry Ford


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:43 am 
Offline
Ken Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:08 pm
Posts: 12580
Location: Melbourne
the best thing about the year so far...............

Aside from being Capt Obvious about the 10 wins..........

We haven't heard a peep out of the Pres, CEO or The Board. Quiet achievers - They just shut up and stick to their own duties. No need to grandstand or be 'Dial a Quote.' They are there if required, otherwise it's all about Vossy and below.

No BS, behind the scenes skullduggery or backstabbing. What a breath of fresh air it is.

Regards Cazzesman

_________________
Ricky Gervais - “Everyone has the right to hold whatever beliefs they want. And everyone else has the right to find those beliefs f***ing ridiculous.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:23 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:40 pm
Posts: 4781
Yeah , agree with you boys . With the way we are going i don't know how the bloody hell he restrains himself . Thats self discipline by the truckload .

_________________
All my dangerous friends


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:30 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 19972
Location: Bondi Beach
Mil Hanna wrote:
Thought I would give this thread a bump.

What a masterstroke his Presidency has turned out to be. Undertook the review. Made the tough calls, got rid of the dead wood and sneaky leakers. Put the right people in the right positions and empowered them. Set the challenge to make finals and stuck to his guns. Got this once great club back to being great again.

The best part about it is that you never hear from him. He doesn't shoot his mouth off to the media, publicly undermining the CEO, the Coach, the GM of Football or the GM of Recruitment like Kennett, McGuire et. al. He just lets them do their jobs.

I saw him saying a few words to Jack Newnes after his 200th game on Saturday and it is the first time I have seen him speak for months.

I don't think any of us truly understood how much change a new President and Board could bring. I certainly didn't.

Thank you to Luke and the Board. We are finally on our way to No. 17!! :clap:


and how good has hIS leadership made WA bAGGERS FEEL about being a Bagger :fight:

_________________
Everyone looks good in Navy Blue


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:26 pm 
Offline
Harry Vallence
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:19 am
Posts: 1778
Location: Melbourne
I'm looking forward to hearing from Luke on the last Saturday of September 2022 :thumbsup:
Go Blues!

_________________
Our tradition demands success!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:03 pm 
Offline
Rod Ashman

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:22 am
Posts: 2041
The Pres/Board not only made a whole heap of huge changes but they also left in place some people/departments that he could easily have swept the broom through. So, it was a pretty nuanced review that said 'keep this/get rid of that'.
It is great that the Pres/Board are largely unheard in the media but the truth is that its much easier to do that when things are going as well as they are. There was a lot of talk about how MLG was too quiet and not in the media enough.

I can't imagine we'd be in this position if Teague was still in charge. I did like him and think he might still one day become a good coach. But no way would we be where we are now. I also don't reckon we'd be here if Ross Lyon had won the role either. Maybe Clarkson but I feel like Voss is the right man at the right moment with the right team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:04 pm 
Offline
John Nicholls
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:32 am
Posts: 9510
:thumbsup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:42 pm 
Offline
Geoff Southby
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:27 pm
Posts: 5241
I don't want a photo with Cripps or Charlies autograph.... I want to shake Luke Sayers @#$%&! hand.

:thanks:

_________________
The problem will be made. for the solution to be sold, to your face before your eyes, tolerance is now the new danger


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:10 pm 
Offline
Rod Ashman
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 12:15 am
Posts: 2971
Location: In Transit to WA
17th Premiership wrote:
The Pres/Board not only made a whole heap of huge changes but they also left in place some people/departments that he could easily have swept the broom through. So, it was a pretty nuanced review that said 'keep this/get rid of that'.
It is great that the Pres/Board are largely unheard in the media but the truth is that its much easier to do that when things are going as well as they are. There was a lot of talk about how MLG was too quiet and not in the media enough.

I can't imagine we'd be in this position if Teague was still in charge. I did like him and think he might still one day become a good coach. But no way would we be where we are now. I also don't reckon we'd be here if Ross Lyon had won the role either. Maybe Clarkson but I feel like Voss is the right man at the right moment with the right team.


Yeah, that is true. Fair call.

I guess this is what we have all been waiting for. Letting actions speak, rather than words. It is a beautiful thing!

_________________
"If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself" - Henry Ford


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:56 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 19972
Location: Bondi Beach
frank dardew wrote:
Thank God for Sayers intervention halfway through last season
What a metamorphosis throughout the club
Strong decisive leadership by Sayers not shirking the hard issues

Absolutely the right call



That's why they paid him the big bucks at PCW.

Ruthless and focussed.

Metamorphosis is the apt word. :clap:

_________________
Everyone looks good in Navy Blue


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:10 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:35 am
Posts: 16786
No. According to a departed poster, he's nothing more than a bean counter. :lol:

_________________
Looking forward to seeing our potential realised.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:22 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:53 am
Posts: 15875
Location: Left Cuckistan
Blue Vain wrote:
No. According to a departed poster, he's nothing more than a bean counter. :lol:

We've had some good ones.

_________________
The only way for some people to understand is for them to be on the receiving end

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:53 pm 
Offline
Harry Vallence
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:19 am
Posts: 1778
Location: Melbourne
Heavs wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
No. According to a departed poster, he's nothing more than a bean counter. :lol:

We've had some good ones.

Good bean counters or posters? :smoking:

_________________
Our tradition demands success!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:32 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:40 pm
Posts: 4781
Blue Vain wrote:
No. According to a departed poster, he's nothing more than a bean counter. :lol:


Yeah , but there's bean counters and there are bean counters aren't there . Must have been a bloody good one .

_________________
All my dangerous friends


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:14 pm 
Offline
Bruce Doull
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:06 pm
Posts: 30581
Location: Half back flank
Played tennis against an ex PWC guy over summer & got chatting after & he spoke very highly of Luke.

It's funny looking back on the review period, when the media absolutely caned us, & basically said the review was an embarrassment & badly done. And that David Teague was treated terribly etc etc. It was obvious at the time that life would go on & the media was on a big slow news day.

Actually both us & the Pies were said to be a shambles when we changed coaches but it doesn't look like it worked out too badly for either of us.

_________________
#DonTheStash


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:02 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:17 am
Posts: 15969
Location: threeohfivethree
CK95 wrote:
Played tennis against an ex PWC guy over summer & got chatting after & he spoke very highly of Luke.

It's funny looking back on the review period, when the media absolutely caned us, & basically said the review was an embarrassment & badly done. And that David Teague was treated terribly etc etc. It was obvious at the time that life would go on & the media was on a big slow news day.

Actually both us & the Pies were said to be a shambles when we changed coaches but it doesn't look like it worked out too badly for either of us.


It’s like I mentioned in another thread.

Focus on your own shit and give very little time to others’ bullshit.

_________________
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

H.L.Mencken (1920)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The_Wookie and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group