Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:59 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Sombrero wrote:
I've watched a few games from the 2011-12 era with Ratts as coach.
The run and stun game we played when Yarran, Eddie, Judd, Armfield, Garlett, Walker and Scotland was devastating.
I had forgotten just how good Yarran was. His ability to evade tackles and run flat out, look up field and just caress the footy low to a lead up forward was nothing less than exquisite. Delicious even.
What a pity his life away from football destroyed what might have been a stellar career.
MM managed to turn that team into a plodding, defensive boring team of easybeats inside two years.
I have no doubt we wouldn't have sunk so low had we stuck with Ratts. He seemed to let the players play more on instinct than the outdated, structured crap MM introduced to the club.
I think the Teague Train will be similar to the Ratts model. I bloody hope so.

Absolutely!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:07 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AGRO wrote:
Yarran’s downward life trajectory coincided when he split up with his then girlfriend Michelle Trewertha, who used to work in Carlton Media Dept.
.... Or could be why they split....
Doubt it's ever one thing

Go Blues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:17 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Yaz was the one ... could’ve been anything ... absolutely electric player to watch ...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:00 am 
Ken Hunter

yep I've been watching a bit too, and yes those who called out MM early (I only wish i had been one of them) were spot on, he took all that was good in that team and replaced it with shit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:51 pm 
Rod Ashman

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
GMCbris wrote:
This thread made me watch it again. so much fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e6kduhXpVY

Who said Eddie couldn't play well in big games.

Juddy!

Knucklehead Robbo.

The good were very good the average very average. Our problem for a long time.

Robbo went to Brisbane and told them we always thought they were soft. They bashed us for years after that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

GMCbris wrote:
This thread made me watch it again. so much fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e6kduhXpVY

1:46:16... the moment I hit the Ponsford Stand roof

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Friend sent me a photo from todays Herald Sun.
The article is about length of contracts, assuming long contracts like Grundys and Martin's will be a thing of the past with reduced salary caps.

The photo of Martin fending with the caption "who could argue with Martin's contract?", you can see he is "typically" allowed to illegally fend off the player by hitting his throat.

This happened in the Carlton game and nearly every game Martin has played since 2016.

One rule for Martin and another rule for everyone else.
No wonder he gets paid the big bucks: he's a protected species by the AFL/umpires allowed to break the rules.

It is about time the AFL community remonstrate to the AFL about this obvious, ongoing breach of the rules.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
The article is about length of contracts, assuming long contracts like Grundys and Martin's will be a thing of the past with reduced salary caps.

The photo of Martin fending with the caption "who could argue with Martin's contract?", you can see he is "typically" allowed to illegally fend off the player by hitting his throat.

This happened in the Carlton game and nearly every game Martin has played since 2016.

No wonder he gets paid the big bucks: he's a protected species by the AFL/umpires allowed to break the rules.

It is about time the AFL community remonstrate to the AFL about this obvious, ongoing breach of the rules.

Yep.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:21 am 
Ken Hunter

Blue Sombrero wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Yep.

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/2019%20Laws%20of%20Australian%20Football.pdf

And you'd think it's covered by more than one law:

Quote:
17.3.2 Free Kicks - Prohibited Contact
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player when that Player makes any of the following Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player:(a) executes a tackle that is not legal;(b) pushes an opposition Player in the back;(c) makes high contact to an opposition Player (including the top of the shoulders) with any part of their body

17.7.2 Free Kicks - Rough Conduct
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player when that Player engages in rough conduct against an opposition Player which in the circumstances is unreasonable, which includes but is not limited to:(a) executing a dangerous tackle on an opposition Player;(b) making forceful contact below the knees of an opposition Player or executing a forceful action towards the lower leg of an opposition Player, causing the opposition Player to take evasive action;(c) sliding knees or feet first into an opposition Player;(d) using boot studs in a manner likely to cause injury.

Also, and with regard to the first rule quoted above, umpires nearly always ignore players making contact with the top of an opponent's shoulders when going for a speccy.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluedog wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Yep.

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/2019%20Laws%20of%20Australian%20Football.pdf

And you'd think it's covered by more than one law:

Quote:
17.3.2 Free Kicks - Prohibited Contact
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player when that Player makes any of the following Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player:(a) executes a tackle that is not legal;(b) pushes an opposition Player in the back;(c) makes high contact to an opposition Player (including the top of the shoulders) with any part of their body

17.7.2 Free Kicks - Rough Conduct
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player when that Player engages in rough conduct against an opposition Player which in the circumstances is unreasonable, which includes but is not limited to:(a) executing a dangerous tackle on an opposition Player;(b) making forceful contact below the knees of an opposition Player or executing a forceful action towards the lower leg of an opposition Player, causing the opposition Player to take evasive action;(c) sliding knees or feet first into an opposition Player;(d) using boot studs in a manner likely to cause injury.

Also, and with regard to the first rule quoted above, umpires nearly always ignore players making contact with the top of an opponent's shoulders when going for a speccy.

Nice one bluedog.

Problem is the lack of decision by umpires changes player statistics and momentum of the game, and results of the game, in Martins case may have helped him win a Brownlow votes, and the cost of 4 points has too much influence on ladder position, and therefore the outcome of a season.

Tigers already have a ridiculously favoured home and away fixture welded on to the MCG, but the umpires indecision have helped them immensely.

Time for umpires to change and start paying frees against Martin like they changed their bias towards the Hawks after the practise became a footy community joke.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:58 pm 
Ken Hunter

Well said Bondi.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39