Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 ... 321  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:34 am 
Robert Walls

all of this needs a little balance

prior to the post Swans press conference, Channel 7 signalled they were looking to 'play the game'......ask the 'sensitive' questions that seek a MM 'response'

....it was the same by Mark Stevens on Friday night. he signalled to the panel his intent

we could argue MM is grumpy and at times acts inappropriately.

however, the media is the media and is simply measured by how many newspapers it sells or how much advertising revenue the generate.

malthouse is measured on wins vs losses and development of our list.

to date he is struggling on the former. however, when it comes to the latter he gets a credit from me:

cripps, menzel, graham, wood, everitt and docherty are ticks.

and the improvement of a long term whipping boy (Gibbs), development of rowe and white (its called a backline)....has been a win.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:35 am 
Geoff Southby

I don't see anything wrong with Mick's behaviour.

Why do we all expect coaches to tow the line with these bullshit media conferences?

Why does it have to be an expectation that the media are respected and that we have to formulate one bullshit reply after another to the most mundane questioning? ...just to please people and save the embarrassment.

I personally find it satisfying when an individual reacts with honesty, and this isn't about factual honesty, it's about emotional honesty.

The way Mick currently handles himself takes far more courage and honesty than to just act and play pleasantries to avoid a confrontation. He knows he's not towing the line and he knows he's turning people away but he stands by it out of self respect. Good on him, I say. If some of his own courage can sprinkle done to our players we'll be well on way to becoming a very very good football side. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 am 
Bert Deacon

TheBluesMuse wrote:

Why do we all expect coaches to tow the line with these bullshit media conferences?

Why does it have to be an expectation that the media are respected and that we have to formulate one bullshit reply after another to the most mundane questioning? ...just to please people and save the embarrassment.

I personally find it satisfying when an individual reacts with honesty, and this isn't about factual honesty, it's about emotional honesty.

The way Mick currently handles himself takes far more courage and honesty than to just act and play pleasantries to avoid a confrontation. He knows he's not towing the line and he knows he's turning people away but he stands by it out of self respect. Good on him, I say. If some of his own courage can sprinkle done to our players we'll be well on way to becoming a very very good football side. :)

QFT- Amen! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

TheBluesMuse wrote:

MM is a 1st class dick.
He handles himself poorly in public.
Whether he improves the side or not is a seperate issue.
Won't be surprised to see a publicist hired for some feel good stories on old Malty very soon.
He's got 6 months to try and raise some good will for when he breaks the record.

I don't see why people who want MM as coach feel the need to defend his faults as well as his attributes?
(not you TBM..obviously you enjoy his personality as well as his coaching.)

He had a chance to improve his manner as a spokesman for our club, but simply could not do it.
This was after he had a good seeing to by our Prez.
(Christy said he was doing a great job!)
Should we care if we are up the top next year?
Well, yeah, cos the underlying shit culture of the club will still be there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

He's not an introvert that's for sure, he's got a fair bit of passion and cauliflower too......

Traits that I think players on our list over a very long time now are lacking

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

I may be alone here but on the whole l have enjoyed MM PC over the years even when he was at West Coast & Collingwood. Some funny some not so, some brash some not so, some intelligent some not so, etc.

I suppose everyone is different.

However l have always thought Mark Stevens is a flog. Can't wait for him to take on Nathan Buckley and then watch him squirm as he incurs the wrath of Eddie Maguire-now that will be newsworthy and good entertainment.

What l am disappointed with is the level of anti MM commentary coming from ex players or CFC supporting journos.......it appears a bit personal.

In addition cannot stomach the Essendon** loving sentiments from CFC supporting radio jockeys!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Waddell wrote:
I may be alone here but on the whole l have enjoyed MM PC over the years even when he was at West Coast & Collingwood. Some funny some not so, some brash some not so, some intelligent some not so, etc.

I suppose everyone is different.

However l have always thought Mark Stevens is a flog. Can't wait for him to take on Nathan Buckley and then watch him squirm as he incurs the wrath of Eddie Maguire-now that will be newsworthy and good entertainment.

What l am disappointed with is the level of anti MM commentary coming from ex players or CFC supporting journos.......it appears a bit personal.

In addition cannot stomach the Essendon*** loving sentiments from CFC supporting radio jockeys!

He really is. :beer:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

on the other hand,
we have Paul Roos...yes he would also be cheque book type
but
arguably, done a lot better,
with a lot more humility, a respectful attitude,
honesty, less ego
not afraid to employ and mentor a young gun.
Someone who can and does influence the whole football club in a positive way.
makes you feel proud as a supporter that he represents you and your club.
don't like the ultra defensive game plan, but they are kicking plenty today.
I guess I'm saying
I'd prefer a mature adult who has worked a lot harder on his own deficiencies.
and, also highly talented, great with the kids, astute etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:24 pm 
Robert Walls

Dominator_7 wrote:
Buckley man handles his player and its forgotten about by midweek.
Brad Scott blasts an opposition player its forgotten about by midweek.
Bomber craps on about his players taking anti Cancer drugs, and the media don't scrutinise him.
Mick blasts a Channel 7 reporter, and is treated like a murderer, and is still questioned about it post win the following game.
Yeah, there's no agenda.

And then there's the single biggest tosser of them all...SIr James Tird.
Let's see how many media questions come his way if he returns to Essendon*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:46 pm 
Serge Silvagni

gerry atric wrote:
Dominator_7"
Yeah great answer

[quote="Blue Vain wrote:

As someone said the other day, if Mick doesn't want his antics shown on the big screen or TV, no worries. Just forsake the 400k the club receives for coaches box advertising out off his own pay packet.
Easy.

Yeah i agree Dom, that is a great answer from BV. Basically Mick's weakness is an incapacity for genuine self reflection and self criticism and honesty, and a nasty arrogance towards people who "haven't played the game". For all his strengths as a coach they are serious character flaws, he has never addressed them, never acknowledged them and never will.

You might be right, but imo that is what makes him a great coach. He gets a team of players together that want to play for him. Say what you like but mick is a fantastic mentor of young men, and if you take the time to wade through the plethora of sensationalistic video bites portraying him as a tyrant, what you see is a genuinely good bloke. Dont give me that garbage pertaining to his playing days at richmond.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:50 pm 
Serge Silvagni

bluegirl72 wrote:
TheBluesMuse wrote:

MM is a 1st class dick.
Won't be surprised to see a publicist hired for some feel good stories on old Malty very soon.
He's got 6 months to try and raise some good will for when he breaks the record.

I don't see why people who want MM as coach feel the need to defend his faults as well as his attributes?

He had a chance to improve his manner as a spokesman for our club, but simply could not do it.

The reason some feel compelled to defend mick, is posts such as yours. Take all the emotive antagonistic rhetoric out

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:52 pm 
Serge Silvagni

99prelim wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:
Buckley man handles his player and its forgotten about by midweek.
Brad Scott blasts an opposition player its forgotten about by midweek.
Bomber craps on about his players taking anti Cancer drugs, and the media don't scrutinise him.
Mick blasts a Channel 7 reporter, and is treated like a murderer, and is still questioned about it post win the following game.
Yeah, there's no agenda.

And then there's the single biggest tosser of them all...SIr James Tird.
Let's see how many media questions come his way if he returns to Essendon**

And there is the other side of the coin. The smiling assassin. I know which i prefer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

Paul Roos......less ego?

I doubt it. He is a Rock Star!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

padre wrote:
gerry atric wrote:
Dominator_7"
Yeah great answer

[quote="Blue Vain wrote:

As someone said the other day, if Mick doesn't want his antics shown on the big screen or TV, no worries. Just forsake the 400k the club receives for coaches box advertising out off his own pay packet.
Easy.

Yeah i agree Dom, that is a great answer from BV. Basically Mick's weakness is an incapacity for genuine self reflection and self criticism and honesty, and a nasty arrogance towards people who "haven't played the game". For all his strengths as a coach they are serious character flaws, he has never addressed them, never acknowledged them and never will.

You might be right, but imo that is what makes him a great coach. He gets a team of players together that want to play for him. Say what you like but mick is a fantastic mentor of young men, and if you take the time to wade through the plethora of sensationalistic video bites portraying him as a tyrant, what you see is a genuinely good bloke. Dont give me that garbage pertaining to his playing days at richmond.

Please. A great mentor of young men?

He refuses to take responsibility for his actions and when he is caught out, he attempts to lie his way out of it so spare me the great mentor bullshit.
Yes he has been a good coach but save the character fabrications for someone else. If I want someone to be a role model to our players, he's one of the last people I'd want.

You just choose to overlook it in the hope he'll bring success to your footy club where I believe the possible reward isn't worth the compromise.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

Rod Waddell wrote:
Paul Roos......less ego?

I doubt it. He is a Rock Star!

You are right Rod, and Roosy has a big ego, but he also is smart enough and self aware enough to be able to easily handle the media and not let himself be sucked in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

padre wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
TheBluesMuse wrote:

MM is a 1st class dick.

The reason some feel compelled to defend mick, is posts such as yours. Take all the emotive antagonistic rhetoric out

I will, if Mick will! :razz:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:54 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Blue Vain wrote:
padre wrote:
gerry atric wrote:
Dominator_7"
Yeah great answer

[quote="Blue Vain wrote:

Easy.

He refuses to take responsibility for his actions and when he is caught out, he attempts to lie his way out of it so spare me the great mentor bullshit.
Yes he has been a good coach but save the character fabrications for someone else. If I want someone to be a role model to our players, he's one of the last people I'd want.

You just choose to overlook it in the hope he'll bring success to your footy club where I believe the possible reward isn't worth the compromise.

Speak to players he has coached

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:18 pm 
Rod Ashman

padre wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
padre wrote:
gerry atric wrote:
Dominator_7"
Yeah great answer

[quote="Blue Vain wrote:

Easy.

um, Buckley

you know the guy that he took the credit off after he fixed his game and gave him a premiership

oh so humble and acknowledging is our mick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

the thing that roos has going for him in the media is nobody gives a shit about melbourne
its an easy gig for 2 or 3 year...
but not getting results will see roos for who he is in the media.

i think next year it will begin

btw were threatening to become an irrelevant club ourselves..... then wont matter with how our coach is going in the media till its time to sack him...

anyway its all part of the GAME

anybody who believes it isnt a game from both sides just doesnt get it...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

padre wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
padre wrote:
gerry atric wrote:
Dominator_7"
Yeah great answer

[quote="Blue Vain wrote:

Easy.

I have!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 ... 321  Next