Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:35 pm 
Rod Ashman

The last time Carlton beat Hawthorn - Hawthorn was yet to accrue their 35 million windfall $$$$$ from the AFL's endorsed policy of having ONE team playing out of Launceston.

"Equalisation" - it is a blessing for some clubs.

"All animals (pigs) are equal, but some are more equal than others**."

** The sentence is a comment on the hypocrisy of governments that proclaim the absolute equality of their citizens but give power and privileges to a small elite.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:10 pm 
formerly Blue Boots

tap in 79 wrote:
The last time Carlton beat Hawthorn - Hawthorn was yet to accrue their 35 million windfall $$$$$ from the AFL's endorsed policy of having ONE team playing out of Launceston.

** The sentence is a comment on the hypocrisy of governments that proclaim the absolute equality of their citizens but give power and privileges to a small elite.

We never were drawn to play in Launceston either. And that in itself is the second closest we've ever came to beating them since then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:27 am 
Rod Ashman

Bolt from the Blue wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

We never were drawn to play in Launceston either. And that in itself is the second closest we've ever came to beating them since then.

What makes the inequity even greater is that Carlton by turning up to this match helped to fund Hawthorn's Launceston money train...$$$$$$ Pride should have insisted they never play there again no matter what the AFL want for Hawthorn. It is time to stand up to the AFL on something at least.

Carlton used to be considered a marquee club by the Tasmanian govt, but now are so substandard that the Tasmanian govt weren't asked to contribute extra money to Hawthorn for this match $$$$$.

Why do people turn up to these matches in Launceston anyway?

When was the last time Hawthorn lost there? I mean the match result is decided before the ball is bounced. Haven't they won 25 matches in a row there ? or something like that.

“But the Tasmania sponsorship deal in 2006 helped to turn the club around, there’s no doubt about that. It enabled Hawthorn to do a lot more things.” said Ian Dicker.

The AFL set this one club scenario up in Launceston. They should now close it down....although they have would be winding it up four premierships to Hawthorn late. (probably five after this year.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:16 pm 
formerly Blue Boots

tap in 79 wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

What makes the inequity even greater is that Carlton by turning up to this match helped to fund Hawthorn's Launceston money train...$$$$$$ Pride should have insisted they never play there again no matter what the AFL want for Hawthorn. It is time to stand up to the AFL on something at least.

Carlton used to be considered a marquee club by the Tasmanian govt, but now are so substandard that the Tasmanian govt weren't asked to contribute extra money to Hawthorn for this match $$$$$.

Why do people turn up to these matches in Launceston anyway?

When was the last time Hawthorn lost there? I mean the match result is decided before the ball is bounced. Haven't they won 25 matches in a row there ? or something like that.

“But the Tasmania sponsorship deal in 2006 helped to turn the club around, there’s no doubt about that. It enabled Hawthorn to do a lot more things.” said Ian Dicker.

The AFL set this one club scenario up in Launceston. They should now close it down....although they have would be winding it up four premierships to Hawthorn late. (probably five after this year.)

Why do they play there in the first place? Why not Alice Springs, Ballarat, Bendigo, Mandurah or Broome for all I know?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I reckon if the AFL offered us Tassie matches 70% of Carltonfc supporters would lose their minds.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

tap in 79 wrote:
[)

Why do they play there in the first place? Why not Alice Springs, Ballarat, Bendigo, Mandurah or Broome for all I know?

Why do they play there?

The mullah, the money, the dollars, the green bills, the readies, the wealth, the fortune, the notes that have John Monash on them.

Launceston is the opportunity for Hawthorn to print money. In sponsorship alone from the Tasmanian govt they have reaped over $35 million over the course.

Why are Hawthorn impossible to beat despite "equalisation"... look no further than Launceston.

“When we played small clubs like Port Adelaide at the MCG, we lost money.
“We knew then that if we wanted to compete with the bigger clubs like Essendon* and Carlton that we had to get more profitable.”
That was Dicker back over 10 years ago.
Now Carlton is the small club and Hawthorn is the big club. They wouldn't, couldn't have done it without the AFL agreeing/approving their Tasmanian venture. It is now the AFL's duty to wind back this advantage, as they had to wind back Sydney's COLA, Geelong's father-sons, Brisbane's salary cap etc etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:41 pm 
Horrie Clover

Hawks - i am not a fan - have taken their opportunity as gifted by the Tasmanian government. Tasmania has received a good return in marketing. In fact a great return.

The Hawks have embraced the state, all the kids go for them and they run clinics everywhere, from King island to Queenstown. They go to places that typical Tasmanians don't even go to.

One can't fault their return to the state, and the fact they have maintained their fans in Victoria is a tribute to how well they are run. Consider this - if Carlton were offered the same deal in a similar zone, would you be for it or against it? its one to whinge but what have we done to match this? Nothing. Too big to go regional. Complain when others do so and get an advantage. We had Princess park, that was our fortress. they have created one in Launceston. Hate them but respect what they have done. Smart.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:56 pm 
Rod Ashman

tasboy wrote:
Hawks - i am not a fan - have taken their opportunity as gifted by the Tasmanian government. Tasmania has received a good return in marketing. In fact a great return.

The Hawks have embraced the state, all the kids go for them and they run clinics everywhere, from King island to Queenstown. They go to places that typical Tasmanians don't even go to.

One can't fault their return to the state, and the fact they have maintained their fans in Victoria is a tribute to how well they are run. Consider this - if Carlton were offered the same deal in a similar zone, would you be for it or against it? its one to whinge but what have we done to match this? Nothing. Too big to go regional. Complain when others do so and get an advantage. We had Princess park, that was our fortress. they have created one in Launceston. Hate them but respect what they have done. Smart.

If I was offered $35 million as a football club I would well and truly "embrace" the state, and go to clinics in Timbucktoo if I had to.
Burnie, Penguin, or any shanty town in between a mining town wherever they want.

If Carlton was offered the same deal back in the early 2000s they would have been mad not to take it. I don't see it as being "smart" I see it as the AFL offering a scenario that opened up a money honeypot, a licence to print money, and the AFL should have had contingencies in place to prevent such a situation..or at the least had foresight...that's what we pay them for right? forward planning.especially as they keep going on about "equalisation".

You know I didn't whinge once about this whole "equalisation" con until the final straw for me was that "equalisation tax". That was the Boston Tea rebellion/Battle of Bunker Hill moment for me. The gall of claiming Carlton should pay taxes almost equivalent to Hawthorn after all the club has been through. Sorry, I just couldn't hack that moment.

p.s it is relatively easy to run a club well with the benefit of over $35 million. I am excluding the financial benefit of 8,000-10,000 extra members they get each year due to the Tasmanian deal. Hawthorn aren't geniuses...a pot of gold in front of your nose, is still a pot of gold. They should send a nice Christmas card to the AFL head office every year, with a bottle of Bollinger champagne. They deserve it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:08 pm 
formerly Blue Boots

My god I would take it but in the early 2000s 79:
a) Both our situations were much, much different before 2002. Ours was like being on top of Everest to falling all the way down the bottom by literally falling; our situation on and off field changed that quickly. So was Hawthorn's and so they took advantage of a lottery ticket, a club changing situation. We wouldn't have been offered a spot.
b) It would never have even been thought of not only by the club, but supporters back then too.
c) Back in those days we would have beaten Hawthorn more often than not. Before Launceston.
The winds of change has occurred for the worst since.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:38 pm 
Horrie Clover

I was fifteen.....

Turned one hundred and two yesterday..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6