Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

Hawthorn are managing to lose games even after dominating centre clearances, contested possession and forward 50 entries. Statistically their problem is accuracy in front of goal, (even though there's talk of them being slow).

Now I couldn't care less about Hawthorn but it did get me thinking that maybe we're still under-valuing goal shooting accuracy. It seems to me to be an "optional extra" for selecting our forward line. I'm starting to think that this might be a mistake. A lot of talk in other topics about us being soft, (I don't disagree), but we trade one of those missed shots against Richmond for an accurate one and we win.

Who do we have confidence in when taking a set shot? For me I'd nominate Gibbs, Kruez and Garlett. Snapshots ... definitely Eddie, (not so confident with him for a set shot).

Others .. my impressions of Ellard and Touhey are good also. Maybe Tex.

I don't know what the stats are like - anyone care to nominate anyone else?

Not many of those guys play forward all the time, but maybe we should think about that. For example, maybe when Kruez is resting, (I just can't advocate taking him out of the ruck), he should become the "priority forward" that others block for.

Doesn't really matter how many good marks Hammer or Cas take if they can't kick goals. In fact blokes that keep missing become a liability because those opportunities are wasted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:08 pm 
Harry Vallence

BigKev wrote:

Who do we have confidence in when taking a set shot? For me I'd nominate Gibbs, Kruez and Garlett. Snapshots ... definitely Eddie, (not so confident with him for a set shot).

I`d switch Garlett and Eddie around.
i think our trouble is we have too many poor/unreliable kicks in general - Simmo, Lucas, Robbo, Hampson, Waite, Davies, Duigan, Curnow, Levi, Carazzo, Joseph.
Ellard and McLean can lack distance. Bell and even Judd can be inconsistent. That`s a fair chunk of the list with disposal issues.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:24 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I think it goes to the wider issue of lack of poise and discipline across the playing group.

Without checking the stats probably Kreuz, Walker and maybe Ellard would have good set shot ratio's.... ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yeah the club is in front of the big Sticks and its bent over too.....Marathon session.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BigKev wrote:
Hawthorn are managing to lose games even after dominating centre clearances, contested possession and forward 50 entries. Statistically their problem is accuracy in front of goal, (even though there's talk of them being slow).

Now I couldn't care less about Hawthorn but it did get me thinking that maybe we're still under-valuing goal shooting accuracy. It seems to me to be an "optional extra" for selecting our forward line. I'm starting to think that this might be a mistake. A lot of talk in other topics about us being soft, (I don't disagree), but we trade one of those missed shots against Richmond for an accurate one and we win.

Others .. my impressions of Ellard and Touhey are good also. Maybe Tex.

I don't know what the stats are like - anyone care to nominate anyone else?

Not many of those guys play forward all the time, but maybe we should think about that. For example, maybe when Kruez is resting, (I just can't advocate taking him out of the ruck), he should become the "priority forward" that others block for.

Doesn't really matter how many good marks Hammer or Cas take if they can't kick goals. In fact blokes that keep missing become a liability because those opportunities are wasted.

Tex has been hopeless since the quad muscle issue forced him to change his kicking style in the 2012 pre-season. He'd be one of the last I'd pick now. I'd go with Gibbs or Eduardo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

I would think Simmo would rate as one of the worst shots on goal for a mid/fwd in the league - I wonder where he really stands?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

Megaman wrote:
I would think Simmo would rate as one of the worst shots on goal for a mid/fwd in the league - I wonder where he really stands?

he used to be ok... and then there was that game against Essendon* a couple of years ago.... and hes never been the same