Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:35 am 
Rod Ashman

After watching Kade Simpson's effort to spoil last night against and listening to the commentators in raptures regarding his courage that all us Blues supporters are aware of made me wonder is the No.6 our most courageous number? Simmo's record breaking run came to an end when he took a guttsy mark running with the flight of the ball against the Magpies last season – Simmo taking a short step just doesnt go together, this is one player who has worn this guernsey with pride and why he is one of the Blues faithful favourites.

No. 2 is tended to be regarded as our greatest'number thanks to the like of arguably our Greatest footballer John Nicholls and later the mercurial Brownlow Medallist Greg Williams.

But two other Carlton greats to wear the No.6 that were renowned for their courage, they were 3 time premiership winger Garry Crane and legendary Blues enforcer Bob Chitty who played in the 1938 and the '1945 Bloodbath' premiership teams.

Crane's peers such as Robert Walls, Alex Jesaulenko etc rated Crane as the most courageous player they have seen on the football field, with a fierce attack on the ball and a reputation of being a big occasion player he was a player according to his team-mates would never shirk an issue. He was the Blues best player in their 1968 flag and losing 1969 Grand Final, he would also play in the winning 1970 and 1972 Grand Finals – he was again our best in the losing 1973 Grand Final.

Garry was as fearless as any player to don the Navy Blue. His head was always over the ball, his body frequently on the line and in those days it was legitimate for a ruckman to clean you up as you stood exposed, waiting for the ball to drop for the mark. Garry was crunched numerous times but always got up and put his body on the line without thought for the consequences. Robert Walls is quoted as saying that he is one of only three players for any team in his career as a player, coach and commentator that he had never seen pull out of a contest. He was an exceptionally brave and consistent performer for the Blues.

How tough was Bob Chitty? Well, consider this. Only a few days prior to the Blues’ crucial Preliminary Final clash in 1945, he had the top joint of one of his fingers chopped off in an accident at work. He asked for the wound to be stitched and bandaged, then defied doctor’s orders to take his place in the side. Carlton won, and Chitty carried the injury into the following week's Grand Final.

At quarter time of the 1945 Grand Final Percy Bentley instructed Bob Chitty to "remove the kid gloves if the situation becomes desperate". These were to be telling words in the context of the match. The 19 yo Ken Hands was flattened so Chitty started dropping his South opponents as a square up with "interest''. Chitty waged a one-man war with the entire South Melbourne line up, complete with blood streaming from his head, hands and legs, and carrying a broken foot, led his team to the third quarter break with one goal in mind - do whatever it takes to stop South's more skillful lineup from taking advantage of the breeze in the last quarter.

The massive crowd screamed for blood and got it when a massive brawl then broke out between Chitty's team-mates and South Melbourne. It took several police to break up this particular brawl, and as they did, Chitty staggered to his feet, clearly and heavily concussed, and made his way to the forward pocket in an attempt to 'shake the cobwebs out'.The minute play resumed Carlton swept the ball forward, and wounded hero Chitty somehow miraculously goaled. In the annals of football history, this must go down as one of the most courageous, uplifting goals in history. The goal all but won Carlton the match, but the fight was still far from over.

Bob Chitty was renowned as being the Blues enforcer, a man that even Richmond's Jack Dyer was wary of. Chitty led by example and would stick up for his team-mates.

There is also a tale that has almost reached folklore status in Benalla, of the day Chitty took a mark, then landed awkwardly and broke his ankle. Why is this story so extraordinary? Because he got up, and kicked a goal before hobbling off!

The Blues have had numerous players of courage and numbers befitting this badge of honour whether it be the No.9 with Hunter and Hickmott, No.7 with Johnston and Ratten etc.

But would No.6 be our Most Courageous??????????????

Last edited by Bomba Sheldon on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:39 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I'm putting in a nomination for #9.

ImageImage

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:31 am 
Ken Hunter

I thought we were delisting/trading Simmo. Wish people would make up their minds....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:38 am 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
I thought we were delisting/trading Simmo. Wish people would make up their minds....

You're SO last week... :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:11 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Yes. Jon Dorotich.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:10 pm 
Trevor Keogh

Jimmy plunkett and Daren hume

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

TruBlueBrad wrote:
I'm putting in a nomination for #9.

ImageImage

Synbad would wholeheartedly agree
cough Lucas cough :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:13 pm 
Bruce Doull

muzza wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:52 pm 
Bob Chitty

Very interesting write up Bomber Sheldon. I've read and heard a fair bit about Bob Chitty. I think he played Ned kelly in a movie at some stage. He was one tough bastard. The two most courageous Blue's players for their size I've seen would be Crane and Hunter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:22 am 
Craig Bradley

Last edited by true_blue3 on Mon Sep 26, 1981 5:07 pm; edited 92 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:39 pm 
Rod Ashman

mots wrote:
Very interesting write up Bomber Sheldon. I've read and heard a fair bit about Bob Chitty. I think he played Ned kelly in a movie at some stage. He was one tough bastard. The two most courageous Blue's players for their size I've seen would be Crane and Hunter.

Yep, you're correct on that front, Bob Chitty did play Ned Kelly in a movie

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-browse_gal ... leryId=481

Last edited by Bomba Sheldon on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:02 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Bomba Sheldon wrote:
mots wrote:

Yep, you're on that front, Bob Chitty did play Ned Kelly in a movie

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-browse_gal ... leryId=481

I can recall hearing a comment attributed to Jack Dyer that playing Ned Kelly in a movie was the only time Bob Chitty ever needed armour for protection.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:23 am 
Harry Vallence

Gary Crane and Ken Hunter the most courageous Carlton players I've seen.

My Mum had a crush on Bob Chitty that lasted from when she was a teenager until she died.

She always said he was fearless, but a "bit dirty".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

Nice to see Kade being nominated for the AFLPA’s Robert Rose Most Courageous Award

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2013-0 ... s-approval

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:

all this new found love for Simmo is nauseating (LOL)

I thought he was a gonski after witnessing his early season performances but I am glad he has proven me wrong

Not the most talented player but gives it his all. Would be nice to see him finish is career on a high.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

WOW wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

all this new found love for Simmo is nauseating (LOL)

I thought he was a gonski after witnessing his early season performances but I am glad he has proven me wrong

Not the most talented player but gives it his all. Would be nice to see him finish is career on a high.

I agree, I thought he was gone as well, adapted to the new role and has blossomed since - would've been our Captain if Judd didn't come to the Blues IMO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:
muzza wrote:

Lucas is not courageous... but he would have been handy against the Tigers.

Mick lost all confidence in Lucas.... :cry:

i was serious about playing him as the super sub this weekend

As for Simmo... can only go back 40 years.... but he is one of the most 20 courageous players i remember

he would make our most courageous team in my memory...

plus an excellent player.

Good pick up by Shane at a time we lost early picks.
Id be comfortable saying he has been better than Goddard and Wells over the journey...

So kudos!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

Gary Crane - ahhh to be young again and have him as a hero. I loved Gary Crane (though always wanted to be Brian Quirk).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:35 pm 
Bob Chitty

Funny you say that about Quirky, Danny. He was a beautiful kick of the footy. Always enjoyed watching him play.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:35 pm 
Rod Ashman

mots wrote:
Agree, great writeing. In the South Melbourne team were fellas like "Basher" Williams a boxer. There was a fair bit of money on the game.