Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Actually Agro Jnr knows more about this game than I do (even though he was only 2 years old at the time) he knew the game back the front by the time he was 5 (thanks to the wobbly old VHS tape) and could recite Robbo's ball-by-ball commentary almost perfectly.

Ian Robertson (triple premiership player) very underrated player and commentator.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:10 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

fast forwarded to the half time blue, angriest you ever saw Kouta, can't find the 95' prelim, that night Diesel got knocked out early (cant' remember who by), but clearly remember him running the boundary in the last 1/4 - any help on this?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:
fast forwarded to the half time blue, angriest you ever saw Kouta, can't find the 95' prelim, that night Diesel got knocked out early (cant' remember who by), but clearly remember him running the boundary in the last 1/4 - any help on this?

Peter Dean was knocked rotten in the Prelim as well - probably played with concussion in Grand Final as well.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:40 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

AGRO wrote:
kingkerna wrote:

Peter Dean was knocked rotten in the Prelim as well - probably played with concussion in Grand Final as well.

thanks but that doesn't help me :razz: checked blueseum also, needs a much better review of a game that I remember as being right up there for the club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

Pretty sure it was Darren Crocker who knocked out Williams

& Schwass got Dean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:51 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

ah, Schwass rings a bell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Pretty sure it was Darren Crocker who knocked out Williams

& Schwass got Dean

This provided by Agro Jnr (memorised the call)

'Williams KO'ed by Crocker'
'Clever actually, to get his boot to it, forces it forward to the pocket'
'Williams hasn't moved'
'Hes in trouble'
'Well Crocker got him just on the split second he had to go off the ground'
'There's bit going with Koutoufides'
'Its a free kick I think here to Carlton'

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:19 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Now get him to do the bit with diesel running the boundary later on

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

Agro Jr is a Carlton Rain Man, it would seem :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

Kaptain Kouta wrote:

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but how fantastic is that commentary compared to the dross we get these days?

Concise, calls the action and little else. And it's not all about the commentators. Yes, I'm looking your way, Dermie and Monga.

Agreed!

Sandy Roberts a quality caller, too. Just tells it how it is. None of this over the top rubbish of Taylor or endless rhetorical quesitons by Macavaney "isn't it?" "doesn't he?" "won't it?"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:16 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

kingkerna wrote:

I remember him sitting on the bench and waving to the camera. Gerard Healy commented that he was waving to let everyone know he's okay for next week.

Peter Dean was knocked senseless. Imagine telling him he wasn't playing in a grand final because of it.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:47 pm 
Rod Ashman

TruBlueBrad wrote:
kingkerna wrote:

I remember him sitting on the bench and waving to the camera. Gerard Healy commented that he was waving to let everyone know he's okay for next week.

Peter Dean was knocked senseless. Imagine telling him he wasn't playing in a grand final because of it.

I think Dean may have copped a hospital handball from Hanna and had to sit under the ball from memory - if I am wrong I will blame it on the concussion I received when I was kicked in the head playing against West Footscray in 1998.............................

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:21 pm 
Bruce Doull

Happy 50th birthday Mr Williams :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:00 pm 
Serge Silvagni

DocSherrin wrote:
This is just the start. The class actions are coming. We mightn't be the litigious society like the United States - but it doesn't take Blind Freddy to see that a professional athlete has a compelling case. If the AFL had medical knowledge that sending players back on the ground (instead of sending them to hospital) and damage to the brain occurs during and/or post-career - and the AFL did nothing to instigate rule changes surounding concussion - then they better have a good legal team.

Doc its one thing to speculate that it was footy related its another to prove in a court of law .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:05 pm 
Serge Silvagni

JohnM wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Is it really that unusual?
I played in a flag in my 20s and can remember virtually nothing of the game. AFAIC, your brain has a certain capacity to retain stuff and the more information you accumulate, some of the other memories will dissipate.
Some people are just wired differently. I can remember numbers from 30 years ago but other activities and circumstances are well gone from my memory bank.

Maybe in GW's case the loss of memory means something. He has always been acutely aware of details in his career, and I've heard more than one interview where he's corrected the interviewer with a very minor detail regarding an incident or a game.

Really sad if this is anything more than 'normal' time-induced vagueness.

Surely this indicates that he doesnt have damage....if he can correct interviewers over fine details. As another has said, its not unusual in times of high stress and activity for recollection to be impaired. Adrenaline flight or fight response. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of ... _on_memory

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:28 pm 
Bruce Doull

Was very happy to see him on GF day awarding the Norm Smith. What a game that man played in 95.

Although he should've been introduced as "Triple Brownlow Medallist"

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:26 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

teknodeejay wrote:
DocSherrin wrote:
If the AFL had medical knowledge that sending players back on the ground (instead of sending them to hospital) and damage to the brain occurs during and/or post-career - and the AFL did nothing to instigate rule changes surounding concussion - then they better have a good legal team.

I wonder whether this existed.

NFL only recently got serious about concussions. It really wasn't talked about much medically beyond the last 5 years perhaps. Now it is a priority of on field handling.

I'm glad the king hits and shirtfronts of yester-year have been eroded from the game (Wellingham sniping notwithstanding).

I wonder if the massive hit by Milburn on Silvagni has had ongoing effects for Stephen. Not just the initial contact but worse the head clattering into the Princes Park turf and him all but motionless... it's a good case study. I don't remember the post incident handling other than angry supporters and Milburn jibing the crowd.. was SOS carted off to hospital or just taken to the rooms? Did he play the next week?

Not as much as the bending back of his fingers almost to right angles by the Michael Long touched "goal" had in 1993.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

padre wrote:
JohnM wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Is it really that unusual?
I played in a flag in my 20s and can remember virtually nothing of the game. AFAIC, your brain has a certain capacity to retain stuff and the more information you accumulate, some of the other memories will dissipate.
Some people are just wired differently. I can remember numbers from 30 years ago but other activities and circumstances are well gone from my memory bank.

Maybe in GW's case the loss of memory means something. He has always been acutely aware of details in his career, and I've heard more than one interview where he's corrected the interviewer with a very minor detail regarding an incident or a game.

Really sad if this is anything more than 'normal' time-induced vagueness.

Surely this indicates that he doesnt have damage....if he can correct interviewers over fine details. As another has said, its not unusual in times of high stress and activity for recollection to be impaired. Adrenaline flight or fight response. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of ... _on_memory

Those interviews are quite dated now, I haven't seen him do one in ages. The point I was making was that if someone who has always been acutely aware of minor details of his career is NOW struggling to recall things... it doesn't sound good. Sorry, should have made myself clearer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:56 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

teknodeejay wrote:
Kaptain Kouta wrote:

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but how fantastic is that commentary compared to the dross we get these days?

Concise, calls the action and little else. And it's not all about the commentators. Yes, I'm looking your way, Dermie and Monga.

Agreed!

Sandy Roberts a quality caller, too. Just tells it how it is. None of this over the top rubbish of Taylor or endless rhetorical quesitons by Macavaney "isn't it?" "doesn't he?" "won't it?"

Sandy was fine until he decided he needed a catchphrase: "oh my hat!" :screwy:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:52 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Diesel and Denham still at it years after the event!!! http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/feud-from-20-years-ago-is-reignited-20130926-2uh0t.html