Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

We discussed this elsewhere but I thought I'd give it a thread

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-star-b ... 2ezsk.html

Quote:
Williams, who played 250 games with Geelong, Sydney and Carlton, told the Seven network he knows he was in the winning premiership team in 1995 but does not remember a lot of the game.

I hope that doesn't mean he's forgotten outmarking Steven Handley in the 3rd qtr...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Gee he seemed vague and distant. Sad.

Alex Jesaulenko

As I said elsewhere what's John Russo's excuse for forgetting that Williams got 44 possessions in Round 10 in 1993 - Carlton -v- Melbourne.

:roll:

Winston Churchill

Bruce Doull

Quote:
He and former North Queensland player Shaun Valentine underwent tests at Deakin University covering memory, dexterity and response times, with worrying results.

Their response times matched those of much older men.

For a bloke as good and quick with his hands as Greg Williams that's a very sad thing to read.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

His wife seemed close to over it, too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

I think that filthy @#$%&! cauliflower Sean Denham should take at least a portion of the blame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

This is just the start. The class actions are coming. We mightn't be the litigious society like the United States - but it doesn't take Blind Freddy to see that a professional athlete has a compelling case. If the AFL had medical knowledge that sending players back on the ground (instead of sending them to hospital) and damage to the brain occurs during and/or post-career - and the AFL did nothing to instigate rule changes surounding concussion - then they better have a good legal team.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Is it really that unusual?
I played in a flag in my 20s and can remember virtually nothing of the game. AFAIC, your brain has a certain capacity to retain stuff and the more information you accumulate, some of the other memories will dissipate.
Some people are just wired differently. I can remember numbers from 30 years ago but other activities and circumstances are well gone from my memory bank.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
I played in a flag in my 20s and can remember virtually nothing of the game. AFAIC, your brain has a certain capacity to retain stuff and the more information you accumulate, some of the other memories will dissipate.
Some people are just wired differently. I can remember numbers from 30 years ago but other activities and circumstances are well gone from my memory bank.

Maybe in GW's case the loss of memory means something. He has always been acutely aware of details in his career, and I've heard more than one interview where he's corrected the interviewer with a very minor detail regarding an incident or a game.

Really sad if this is anything more than 'normal' time-induced vagueness.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

DocSherrin wrote:
If the AFL had medical knowledge that sending players back on the ground (instead of sending them to hospital) and damage to the brain occurs during and/or post-career - and the AFL did nothing to instigate rule changes surounding concussion - then they better have a good legal team.

I wonder whether this existed.

NFL only recently got serious about concussions. It really wasn't talked about much medically beyond the last 5 years perhaps. Now it is a priority of on field handling.

I'm glad the king hits and shirtfronts of yester-year have been eroded from the game (Wellingham sniping notwithstanding).

I wonder if the massive hit by Milburn on Silvagni has had ongoing effects for Stephen. Not just the initial contact but worse the head clattering into the Princes Park turf and him all but motionless... it's a good case study. I don't remember the post incident handling other than angry supporters and Milburn jibing the crowd.. was SOS carted off to hospital or just taken to the rooms? Did he play the next week?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:59 pm 
Bruce Doull

teknodeejay wrote:
DocSherrin wrote:
If the AFL had medical knowledge that sending players back on the ground (instead of sending them to hospital) and damage to the brain occurs during and/or post-career - and the AFL did nothing to instigate rule changes surounding concussion - then they better have a good legal team.

I wonder whether this existed.

NFL only recently got serious about concussions. It really wasn't talked about much medically beyond the last 5 years perhaps. Now it is a priority of on field handling.

I'm glad the king hits and shirtfronts of yester-year have been eroded from the game (Wellingham sniping notwithstanding).

I wonder if the massive hit by Milburn on Silvagni has had ongoing effects for Stephen. Not just the initial contact but worse the head clattering into the Princes Park turf and him all but motionless... it's a good case study. I don't remember the post incident handling other than angry supporters and Milburn jibing the crowd.. was SOS carted off to hospital or just taken to the rooms? Did he play the next week?

too many concussions?

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:36 pm 
formerly King Kenny

I'm actually starting to worry about my future. I've had a category 3 concussion with brain bruising as well as a number of smaller concussions in my sporting career.

I retired after the major concussion as a precaution. I was never going to be an elite player so life came first.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

i've had heaps too

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Come to think about it I can't remember too much of the 1995 Grand Final either.

:oops:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:55 pm 
John Nicholls

I think all of us who played the game had our concussions. Like KK I was also cleaned up a few times and after waking up in hospital and not remembering anything from the day was scary. It was my last season as a player with three concussions in one season. Shame as I was only 20 and loved to play. But uni was full on and being short in stature meant that I seemed to attract, elbows and hips, usually above my shoulders and I knew the old bastards in amateur footy in those days would always get me, eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

JohnM wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Maybe in GW's case the loss of memory means something. He has always been acutely aware of details in his career, and I've heard more than one interview where he's corrected the interviewer with a very minor detail regarding an incident or a game.

Really sad if this is anything more than 'normal' time-induced vagueness.

True John.
Though if you asked Greg about his personal achievements in games rather than team achievements, perhaps his recollection may be different.
Some things are more important than others to certain people. Diesel was a gun but whenever I've heard him quoting stats, its always about his achievements, not the teams.

Then again, I'm definitely not trying to diminish or make light of the possibility that this could be a degenerative problem which would be terrible. Whether its related to his footy or not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Vain wrote:
I played in a flag in my 20s and can remember virtually nothing of the game.

To be fair that was a pretty massive night at Chasers afterwards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

AGRO wrote:
Come to think about it I can't remember too much of the 1995 Grand Final either.

That, son, we can help you with.

[youtube]FTfo5mzS8_U[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

Actually in that video at about 1m2s, GW receives exactly what he talks about in his interview.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

teknodeejay wrote:
AGRO wrote:

That, son, we can help you with.

[youtube]FTfo5mzS8_U[/youtube]

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but how fantastic is that commentary compared to the dross we get these days?

Concise, calls the action and little else. And it's not all about the commentators. Yes, I'm looking your way, Dermie and Monga.