Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Club Review
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:22 am 
Geoff Southby

Sticks has been going on about the coach's position being reviewed at the end of the season. Much of the talk at TC has been this woeful season is not all Ratt's fault but injuries to key players, off field admin problems, unwieldy board etc.

Therefore, if the place is to be properly cleaned up I propose that the review should be handled by outside unaligned persons and of EVERY department and of EVERY person at the club of any consequence from the president down.

Personally I don't think CFC could do anything as professionally as this but I am hoping.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Club Review
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

People have been banging on about a review for months if not years now - thinking it will solve all ills and lead us to Football Heaven .

what happens if you bring on a review and some supporters don't get the answers they are looking for .
What happens if they say "no the board is going ok "considering the current economic climate they have turned the club finances around and are tracking to relieve all debt .

What happens if they say the coaching panel is tracking right they were hamstrung by injuries this year and couldn't get consistency into the playing group- they might say we need a better person to engage the media other than Ratts but behind the scene he is doing ok

the way I look at it in some peoples eyes they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't - It doesn't matter what the club does unless some people are moved on there is a group of supporters that will not be happy .

The supporters won't accept the same people moving in a different direction - If the review comes up with suggestions that they could do this or that better - supporters will not be happy if the incumbents are still there to implement the outcomes of the review

So the way I see it is when a supporters comes out and says they want a review they are really saying that 'X" needs to be moved on and they are not looking for a review at all

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:35 am 
Geoff Southby

Not what I am saying at all. Time for people who are not emotionally tied to the club to have a cold hard look and see where our weaknesses are. Only then will we really know the truth. IMO of course.

Hey they may come out and say Ratts in the circumstances did a great job and it was all due to circumstances which can be rectified within the club. Do we sack Ratts then?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:02 pm 
Robert Walls

What if the review says Sticks your out, who will sack Sticks?

Or if a board member or three are sacked, who sacks them?

Who appoints the new Pres?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

A review has to be done by external parties who have strong knowledge of sporting organisations and/or the environment the football club lives in. The thing is, and I've been in this situation before, you can can come in and review an organisation - get paid for your work, but the board takes too much of it to heart and doesn't adopt the recommendations you suggest. That's their prerogative. The consultant/review team can only do so much. The onus is on the hierarchy. The Board and the Executive.

Geelong has Brian Cook on their Executive. We have Ian Coutts. We have a board getting involved in operational matters. Geelong's Board and Executive model is by far the best as it removed Membership & Marketing and Football sub-committee's and hired experts who knew what they were doing. The onus is on them to report to the board and get results.

You need a President who takes control and says - 'Look - these are the recommendations. I agree with every single one of them. If they don't suit you - this place probably isn't for you.' You need proactive leadership. We don't have that. We have a board that is split on many, many issues - in part because it's too big, but also because of some stubborn and/or gutless personalities.

It's time we moved with the times. Get organised. Professional. I know he wanted to bask in Premiership glory, but the longer Sticks stays on as President - the further behind we get. I certainly won't begrudge him 15 minutes and a box of tissues with the silverware if he moves aside at the AGM.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:05 pm 
formerly cj69

:thumbsup: welcome back doc :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

Good measured post Doc. You're like an eloquent, more sporadic Synbad :grin:

I guess the most interesting thing to take out of all this is that a review doesn't even ensure change - it's not like it is legally binding and the board could very well dismiss it. Some change will come out of this year's debacle though, which is better than nothing, but hopefully this is the start of sustained and systematic renewal of the Club.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Scotty12000 wrote:

...with better spelling I would have hoped.

I can tell you've missed me. Where are your homies Braithy and Cimm? Must have cut like a knife on Saturday night for you guys! You should have all given yourselves a sabbatical with some of the stuff you were sprouting!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

DocSherrin wrote:
A review has to be done by external parties who have strong knowledge of sporting organisations and/or the environment the football club lives in.

This review that they will conduct at the end of this season is the same review they conduct at the end of every season if we believe the CEO.
Has a third party come in and performed this review in the past? If so, it is news to me and it will be news to me if a 3rd party performs it this year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:10 pm 
Ken Hands

DocSherrin wrote:
Scotty12000 wrote:

I can tell you've missed me. Where are your homies Braithy and Cimm? Must have cut like a knife on Saturday night for you guys! You should have all given yourselves a sabbatical with some of the stuff you were sprouting!

You saying you enjoyed our loss?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:18 pm 
Geoff Southby

Adelaide Blue wrote:
DocSherrin wrote:
Scotty12000 wrote:

Oh god, not this shit again :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

DocSherrin wrote:
Scotty12000 wrote:

Now now, your homie Moshe just pulled a song and dance worthy of Astair about "guilt by association" and lumping posters together like Siamese triplets. Dunno their positions but I thought I was fair...even said you were a good bloke! Got my come uppance by being at the game, belieeeeeeve me. Now it's said and done I'm ready for the change to come...still want us to win this week though :grin:

Last edited by Scotty12000 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

I did

wanna make something of it :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:22 pm 
Ken Hands

Meet me in the carpark in 10.

I'm bringing my cousins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Adelaide Blue wrote:

From the perspective of you guys (and others) waking up and finally smelling the coffee - yes. From the perspective of wasting hours over the weekend thinking that I would give a little finger and possibly a testicle to be able to have half the footballing talent of Bryce Gibbs and represent the Carlton Football Club, and wondering why he only has half a heart and no desire at all to represent the Carlton Football Club...no...I had better things to think about.

woof wrote:
This review that they will conduct at the end of this season is the same review they conduct at the end of every season if we believe the CEO.
Has a third party come in and performed this review in the past? If so, it is news to me and it will be news to me if a 3rd party performs it this year.

I'm with you - I'd love to hear the words Ken Sheldon bandied about (Ken has done some of this stuff for a living) or a respected consulting firm...but if we're talking Bear, Sticks, Swann and Couttsy - in the George Harris room - with a few Crownies - then no...that's a waste of everyone's time. There are some competent people on the Board. I would hope that they would see the light. Though Ryan Trainor and Craig Mathieson must be thinking to themselves...what are we getting ourselves into?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:32 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Doc I hope you paid Psych for his services, he's your number one fan.

I'm looking forward to the club doing things that makes every single person on here happy so we can all get along.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

kingkerna wrote:
I'm looking forward to the club doing things that makes every single person on here happy so we can all get along.

I was looking at supporting the club and buying a Hyundai, but it looks as though I'll need a DeLorean. I'll set the flux capacitor to 2075.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:43 pm 
Serge Silvagni

DocSherrin wrote:
kingkerna wrote:

I was looking at supporting the club and buying a Hyundai, but it looks as though I'll need a DeLorean. I'll set the flux capacitor to 2075.

:grin: :grin:

Than I used to, my love

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:46 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Sticks better save some of them tissues for Psycho now that Doc Sherrin is back. :thumbsup:

Going to be an interesting couple of months . Reviews, coaching pappointments, trade week, draft day and the hope that comes with every pre season !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

club29 wrote:
Sticks better save some of them tissues for Psycho now that Doc Sherrin is back. :thumbsup:

Going to be an interesting couple of months . Reviews, coaching pappointments, trade week, draft day and the hope that comes with every pre season !

:thumbsup: