Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Your kids & Carlton
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
buzzaaaah wrote:
There are a few key rules.

1. Don't allow them a choice. The difficulty you face is the missus is still a Saints fan, is she??

She is but she's fine with it. Understands it's a father/son thing. It's her parents that have been dropping a few hints & even they haven't been too bad.

I have said before, my F-I-L is a rabid Roos fan and anti-Carlton. He has tried actively with bribery and coercion to change my boys. Not subtle. The kids even stay there some weekends.
If I can outlast that, you can outlast your in-laws if you try. But the Saints can't be a 2nd team. Becasue that makes them easier to switch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

Wojee wrote:
My eldest stepkid is also turning 14 soon and is an Essendon* supporter, although he's not interested enough to watch them on TV (computer/iPad etc trumps footy) and hasn't been to a game this year. He does like being a member though.

Why does he enjoy being a member when he doesn't watch any games on TV or live? Can he even hold his own in the schoolyard footy banter? Curious...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:28 pm 
Bruce Doull

I like your hard line approach buzzaaaah.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

buzzaaaah wrote:

1. Don't allow them a choice. The difficulty you face is the missus is still a Saints fan, is she??
The lines like "if you want to go the footy with me, you barrack for Carlton" "if you want to live in this house"

2. Involve them in Carlton stuff. You'll have to endure the agony of Carlton family day in the early years.
Kids love Captain Carlton because he's like a superhero. If they waver take them to the Carlton shop and get a merchandise.
Always have a jumper in their size. If they get another team jumper as a present from relatives, it's for the bin or Salvos. Be firm on that.

3. Teach them about enemies. I have eliminated most options for my son by telling him that that team is our enemy. Kids love Good v Evil.

4. In my case, my son had to be 7 before he enjoyed actually watching the footy. Before that going to the footy meant plenty of snack and some junk food and flag waving.
Until they actually like watching the game, associate watching Carlton in their mind with eating yummy food.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Love it...Buzzaaaah's Brainwashing 101 :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:41 pm 
Bruce Doull

Scotty12000 wrote:
Wojee wrote:
My eldest stepkid is also turning 14 soon and is an Essendon* supporter, although he's not interested enough to watch them on TV (computer/iPad etc trumps footy) and hasn't been to a game this year. He does like being a member though.

Why does he enjoy being a member when he doesn't watch any games on TV or live? Can he even hold his own in the schoolyard footy banter? Curious...

Likes to feel like he's part of the club I assume, this year is the first he hasn't been to at least one Essendon* game.
His mates are into soccer and other stuff though, so I reckon he'll eventually lose interest in footy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Scotty12000 wrote:
buzzaaaah wrote:

The lines like "if you want to go the footy with me, you barrack for Carlton" "if you want to live in this house"

2. Involve them in Carlton stuff. You'll have to endure the agony of Carlton family day in the early years.
Kids love Captain Carlton because he's like a superhero. If they waver take them to the Carlton shop and get a merchandise.
Always have a jumper in their size. If they get another team jumper as a present from relatives, it's for the bin or Salvos. Be firm on that.

3. Teach them about enemies. I have eliminated most options for my son by telling him that that team is our enemy. Kids love Good v Evil.

4. In my case, my son had to be 7 before he enjoyed actually watching the footy. Before that going to the footy meant plenty of snack and some junk food and flag waving.
Until they actually like watching the game, associate watching Carlton in their mind with eating yummy food.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Love it...Buzzaaaah's Brainwashing 101 :lol:

All that Buzzah. :thumbsup:

But I had a very subversive Father-in-Law and it was touch and go at one stage (at round 4 or 5) when both Little Ms. Agro and Agro Junior (yes moderators there is and has always been an Agro Junior :wink: ) were covered top to toe in Essendon* Paraphernalia :mad:

My response to that was that I said to them they could barrack for any team they liked but until they were old enough to catch public transport themselves the only games they would be seeing were Carlton games.

The rest is history. :wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

Location: Feeding the ducks at the Percy Treyvaud Memorial Park
I have 3 small strets, ages 7, 5 and 2.9. Mrs Stret is nominally Collingwood so I had to work fast. So far all three say that they barrack for Carlton. It wasn't much of a hard sell as Mrs Stret is too busy to worry about footy. Child 1, "Bob" was swayed with a Carlton jumper when he started Auskick and because the other two don't want to feel left out they followed suit.

However, Bob was very upset by the loss to the Gold Coast. Even at the tender age of 7 he knew that was a real bad one and has ever since threatened to change teams. Tonight he decided to adopt Hawthorn. I simply smiled and said "That's ok, I hope you have fun going to the football by yourself" and left it at that. 5 minutes later he wanted to know which Carlton games we are going to next year....... I should feel guilty for being so manipulative. Should, but don't....... :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

My 5 year is already a Carlton tragic. In many ways he is more obsessed than me. He gets up early most mornings and watches replays of games on IQ. For the last 2 years he has come to nearly every game. I left him at home last year for the elimination final V Essendon* and he was absolutely devastated. He is just a footy nut which is fantastic. I love going to the footy with him. He doesn't miss a thing.

My 3 year old on the hand couldn't give a rats arse about football and if you ask him says he barracks for the Demons. I think he does it just annoy me and my other son. Every family has a black sheep...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

I nearly lost my eldest, (now ten), to The Cats though complaceny.

I just assumed he'd be a Carlton man.

However those feline flowers just happened to win their first flag for several million years as he reached
"deciding age". We live a stones throw from Kardinia Park so we had all the peer pressure you can
imagine at school and Auskick and such.

Anyway he's a serious true blue now, (poor kid was almost in tears after the GC game - kept wanting
me to figure out some way we could still make the 8 :sad: ). The main thing I did was make an effort. Bought
him a jumper, took him to Carlton games, watched Carlton games on the tv with him.

Oh - and the masterstroke : every time Carlton gets a goal, he gets a lollie. Worked a treat, (pun intended). :smile: