Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who would you prefer?
Cloke 19%  19%  [ 11 ]
Goddard 81%  81%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject: Cloke or Goddard
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 am 
Geoff Southby

Most talk is about Cloke but my preference is for Goddard.

I know they are different types of players but ...

Goddard can kick. Is reliable (comparatively). Is a proven finals performer. We get him 10 years after we should have.

Last edited by Wojee on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Added poll

Post subject: Re: Cloke or Goddard
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:32 am 
Bruce Doull

Took the liberty of making this a poll Teddy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:43 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

You knew this one was coming:

Winston Churchill

Last edited by AGRO on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:44 am 
Rod Ashman

Good question. On the assumption that Goddard would cost less, I voted for him. Goddard will be 28 in May next year, Cloke 26 in March. For the same price, I'd go Cloke. I do reckon though that Goddard in our midfield, with the ability to go forward (even play a roving CHF role), would make us a serious contender.

Bring back the laurel wreath logo!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:48 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I'd be going hard for Goddard. Would mean that Bryce Gibbs could play forward of centre and be potentially damaging.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Okay I have had my laugh.

But the choice of Cloke or Goddard - is based on the premise that we can "pinch" a flag in the next 3 years.

But I would far rather spend the $800K to $900K per annum on making a fair dinkum crack at trying to get Boak & Caddy, to shore up our dearth of young mid-fielders.

Rather than a flaky Centre Half Forward and a someone who used to barrack for Carlton and beats his chest a lot.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:00 am 
formerly Fevola

Goddard had his chance, but chose his LOVE for St Kilda instead. He had many many chances and now that his team is washed up, I dont want him jumping to us.

I dont really want Cloke either, but if I HAD to pick one, it would be him as he fills a need up forward.

Would rather none of them. We should go after young and up and coming guys that dont demand the whole world in cash.

We are so dumb at these things.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:01 am 
Bruce Doull

Drewgirl wrote:
Goddard had his chance, but chose his LOVE for St Kilda instead. He had many many chances and now that his team is washed up, I dont want him jumping to us.

St Kilda were pressing for a flag and Carlton were terrible, I doubt many footballers would jump ship in that circumstance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:04 am 
Geoff Southby

Drewgirl wrote:

I dont really want Cloke either, but if I HAD to pick one, it would be him as he fills a need up forward.

Would rather none of them. We should go after young and up and coming guys that dont demand the whole world in cash.

We are so dumb at these things.

Don't say we should take either one but if we had the choice......

My preference would be for Boak for half the money too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:28 am 
Craig Bradley

List needs vs. cap space.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:29 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AGRO wrote:

But the choice of Cloke or Goddard - is based on the premise that we can "pinch" a flag in the next 3 years.

But I would far rather spend the $800K to $900K per annum on making a fair dinkum crack at trying to get Boak & Caddy, to shore up our dearth of young mid-fielders.

Rather than a flaky Centre Half Forward and a someone who used to barrack for Carlton and beats his chest a lot.

Like them both, but what draft picks/players do you think we would have to give up to secure one or both of these guys.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:30 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AGRO wrote:

Yup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:33 am 
Craig Bradley

Blueboy74 wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Like them both, but what draft picks/players do you think we would have to give up to secure one or both of these guys.

Don't have to give up any draft picks. They're free agents. That's why this new rule should greatly benefit us as a club, if we get our house in order and do a good job with our contracts. Add senior class to your list, and keep investing in the junior class of the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:33 am 
Harry Vallence

Blueboy74 wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Furthermore, both of those guys (Boak and Caddy) have got to want to come to Carlton. We know Boak is keen on Geelong and nothing much would change that...what's Caddy's caper?

Cloke and Goddard are both free agents, they're in it for themselves and it's up to their respective clubs to one-up any offer...no picks and much more likely to secure.

As to who...at present Goddard is the better player but is older and a hothead - already have Waite if we want a cranky old bloke - whereas Cloke really fills an immediate hole and I believe can find his best form again.

With both, it's dependent on cash for mine - neither is worth more than $700,000-$750,000 for any stretch of time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:40 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sorry didn't make it clear.

I was referring to Boak and Caddy, not Goddard and Cloke when referring to what would we have to give up.

I understand the free agency part, hence why I don't see the comparison that the money would be better off spent elsewhere.

Also don't assume that Boak would be much cheaper. Some talk of 2mil for 3 years in Adelaide.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:57 am 
Rod Ashman

Bingo Blueboy74. I'd love Boak and Caddy, but we would have to trade to get them, and we all know how hard that is, and that you end up having to give as good as you get. The appeal of Cloke and Goddard is that we can pick one of them up for nothing. That's priceless. Take an A grade player and stick him in your team for nothing, other than what it takes up of your salary cap.

Imagine if we'd been able to get Judd and keep Kennedy and pick 3? Cloke and Goddard are no Judd, but they are both quality players who could seriously improve our team. For nothing.

Bring back the laurel wreath logo!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Siegfried wrote:
Imagine if we'd been able to get Judd and keep Kennedy and pick 3?

I think I just wet myself... :sad:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

One is a outside punce the other a fairy.
What do we need more of? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:05 pm 
Ken Hands

For the people saying Goddard:

DO WE REALLY NEED ANOTHER FLOWERING HALF BACK FLANKER?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:09 pm 
Bert Deacon

Both a bit overrated in my honest opinion.

Couldn't get them as value for money unless massive third party payments are involved.