Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Praise for Ratts!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:29 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Synbad wrote:
Why did you insist we should change tactics?
Why didnt the players play for him ten weeks straight?
Why have you been flip flopping?

Yes i suggested putting players up around the ball to match teams 1 for 1 and engage in the a tough wrestle. We have worked all that out.
Still we required more effort and needed to eliminate players that flake out.
I am not sure it was 10 weeks straight that the effort was lacking. We lost games at times when we played well but the opposition played better. That happens to all teams.

Not sure what flip flop you are talking about ??

A couple of weeks back i said that Ratts has had long enough to get a consistant effort out of list he built and in that regards he has failed. He put his faith in the wrong blokes.

Now I am saying it wouldnt kill me to see him see out his contract. He and the list have learnt alot in the last 2 months.

I am not sure what you are debating.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:53 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

club29 wrote:
He put his faith in the wrong blokes.

This!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

Braithy wrote:
club29 wrote:
He put his faith in the wrong blokes.

This!

the guys he has kept around for years???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Synbad wrote:

the guys he has kept around for years???

He's living and learning. Plus! I'm pretty sure there are other coaches and MC people advising Ratten about VFL form and weighing into the selection of the weekly team and who we cut, delist & promote at the end of season etc?

Seems unfair to lay the blame of a group process at the feet of one person?

Your task for the remainder of the day is to say three genuinely nice things about Ratten and his improvements over the last month of football.

Head immediately to the praise ratts thread with a sunny disposition.

See you there!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:07 pm 
Bert Deacon

I say ratts stays BUTT BUTT he must change our game plan.I suggest he watches video of hawks north cats the way these teams use the football.by the way good bye to bomber and baker please.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:09 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bluegirl72 wrote:
He seems to have won the respect of journos, other players, and coaches. everyone likes him and admires his dogged tenacity in the face of fire, injuries, and the anti Ratts brigade at his own club.
You've got a lot of well respected AFL people sticking up for him. He does blither sometimes, and his verbal skills aren't as polished as many others, but...it's working because everyone now see him as the little battler, who can actually coach, and deserves a go.

I agree Bluegirl. He has won the respect of journos etc but what is he respected for? His fighting qualities, his resilience and as you said, his dogged tenacity. All admirable qualities.
Ratta has clearly shown he is a tenacious battler with plenty of character. All great qualities for a development coach or an assistant.
As the club representative who is our face to potential corporate partners or supporters, the message needs to be much more sophisticated and concise in my opinion.
Ratts appeals to the average bloke in the street. Is that enough?

Lastly, I find it interesting listening to the journos. I suspect half the fun for them is playing king maker. They're more fickle than the supporters. Lets not forget, many of them had him sacked a month ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:48 pm 
Rod Ashman

Everyone grows and learns and we should respect that and not look at someone they way they were but what they have become.
Everyone does an apprenticeship of sorts when they start a new career and are always learning, more in times of adversity than not. If the don't that's when we should worry.
He has shown leadership and courage to change from what he knows and feels secure with to totally change his ammo and has shown faith in playing the kids and taking a gamble when under pressure.
We have had our issues with injuries not only to our main players but also to their understudies and that should be taken into account if people want to be fair.
The players seem to like playing for him which is very important in team harmony.
The club may be dysfunctional in some ways but Ratten has shown that he with a healthier list can be a team that can be a force no matter what some of us may think for whatever reason we have.
We haven't played great footy at times this year and it is disappointing but either have most of the other 17 clubs.
With some luck (and you do need luck, not only management) we could sneak into the eight and do some damage.
Ratten has at least two more games this year at the top which I feel will be vital to his chances of continuing.
If we overcome these hurdles we could be having a different type of discussion on TC over the next month or so.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
He seems to have won the respect of journos, other players, and coaches. everyone likes him and admires his dogged tenacity in the face of fire, injuries, and the anti Ratts brigade at his own club.
You've got a lot of well respected AFL people sticking up for him. He does blither sometimes, and his verbal skills aren't as polished as many others, but...it's working because everyone now see him as the little battler, who can actually coach, and deserves a go.

I agree Bluegirl. He has won the respect of journos etc but what is he respected for? His fighting qualities, his resilience and as you said, his dogged tenacity. All admirable qualities.
Ratta has clearly shown he is a tenacious battler with plenty of character. All great qualities for a development coach or an assistant.
As the club representative who is our face to potential corporate partners or supporters, the message needs to be much more sophisticated and concise in my opinion.
Ratts appeals to the average bloke in the street. Is that enough?

Lastly, I find it interesting listening to the journos. I suspect half the fun for them is playing king maker. They're more fickle than the supporters. Lets not forget, many of them had him sacked a month ago.

Yes, good points, and I can't pretend it hasn't crossed my mind, that it's a sort of ironic game for them. However, I choose to take them as sincere, at least for now, because he has earnt tha

I have agreed with you about the Corporate Face, and the need for someone else in that role. definitely. In fact, I suspect Ratts might be relieved if that were the case.

Ratts has shown he's willing to listen, and as it's a whole panel of coaches, why not let them get on with it.
The kids in development have shown plenty, so many of our anxious queries from earlier in the year, have been answered. We appear to have depth, and back up. The recruiters would seem to have chosen well after all. We'll never get it perfect, as you say.

It would be so ballsy for the club to re structure as you suggest.
Not sure they'd be open to it though?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

baz_baz wrote:
Parkin today put his strong stamp of approval on Ratten as coach.

For all the posters out there who think they know coaching better than Parkin...lets see your CV :grin:

Not in this thread of course :donk:

What did Barrassi think about Ratten???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

Synbad wrote:
baz_baz wrote:

For all the posters out there who think they know coaching better than Parkin...lets see your CV :grin:

What did Barrassi think about Ratten???

Barrassi :lol: :lol: :lol:

Been completly removed from coaching appraisal for a number of years.

Parkin been involved in many consultancies for coaching positions

Ill take Parkin :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

baz_baz wrote:

Which David Parkin?

The one who is Brett Ratten's mentor and confidant?

Or some other David Parkin, who may be more objective about Ratts' coaching than he mentor/confidant?

Here's something for balance though: no ex coach is going to pot a current coach, just doesn't happen. So I could quite easily posit that any coach who doesn't publicly praise Ratten privately thinks he's pretty ordinary.

But not in this thread I won't. In this thread, one must come to praise Ratten, not to bury him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:52 pm 
Rod Ashman

JohnM wrote:
baz_baz wrote:

Which David Parkin?

Or some other David Parkin, who may be more objective about Ratts' coaching than he mentor/confidant?

Here's something for balance though: no ex coach is going to pot a current coach, just doesn't happen. So I could quite easily posit that any coach who doesn't publicly praise Ratten privately thinks he's pretty ordinary.

But not in this thread I won't. In this thread, one must come to praise Ratten, not to bury him.

Grant Thomas might have something to say about that :grin: :grin:

Get of the mates conspiracy thing...its so old hat its starting to rot :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:58 pm 
Bruce Doull

baz baz Mathieson ex VP/ board member of the footy club and saviour/ white knight described it as a boys club recently enough.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

Synbad wrote:
baz baz Mathieson ex VP/ board member of the footy club and saviour/ white knight described it as a boys club recently enough.....

And your point is???????? :grin: :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

JohnM wrote:
baz_baz wrote:

Which David Parkin?

Here's something for balance though: no ex coach is going to pot a current coach, just doesn't happen. So I could quite easily posit that any coach who doesn't publicly praise Ratten privately thinks he's pretty ordinary. Better reply in another thread

Are you actually disputing anything that Parko said? It made sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Look, Ratts has done well in recent weeks and clearly has the playing group. However, there have been a number of games this year when we could have done better and there are questions in regard to development and "management" as such. The big question is if he can LEAD the group to a flag. Difficult issue.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:06 pm 
Rod Ashman

mikkey wrote:
Look, Ratts has done well in recent weeks and clearly has the playing group. However, there have been a number of games this year when we could have done better and there are questions in regard to development and "management" as such. The big question is if he can LEAD the group to a flag. Difficult issue.

Parkins indicates yes...Ill take that

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:12 pm 
Garry Crane

baz_baz wrote:
mikkey wrote:

Parkins indicates yes...Ill take that

So does wallsey,but they know nothing remember,boys club apparently.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Add Eade and Bomber -- via 360-- to the keep Ratten as coach based on unilateral improvement in all football matters this year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:34 pm 
Garry Crane

What would they know.lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next