Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Praise for Ratts!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
There wasn't a little greek fellow amongst them in a Sailor suit by any chance

No not even a big Greek fella. :wink:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

Cazzesman wrote:
On Sunday at the Ants VFL there was a sizable contingent of the Resident Italian Selection Committee seated near me. All the usual suspects were there. They were in a good mood and even let me pass without the normal barrage of questions about our poor recruiting record. :wink:

Throughout the day it was interesting to hear how many of them were keen for Ratts to continue Coaching. They were both Vocal and Amusing at times.

In particular the little 'Manic Ranter' was very Pro Ratts and he let eveyone know it in no uncertain terms (as he does about most things) :razz:

Ratts will be pleased to know he has his full support. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards Cazzesman

Did you happen to hear their exchange with Brad Scott?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Princes Park Whistler wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
On Sunday at the Ants VFL there was a sizable contingent of the Resident Italian Selection Committee seated near me. All the usual suspects were there. They were in a good mood and even let me pass without the normal barrage of questions about our poor recruiting record. :wink:

Throughout the day it was interesting to hear how many of them were keen for Ratts to continue Coaching. They were both Vocal and Amusing at times.

In particular the little 'Manic Ranter' was very Pro Ratts and he let eveyone know it in no uncertain terms (as he does about most things) :razz:

Regards Cazzesman

Go on...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

It doesn't bode well for Ratts, C-Man....the 'RISC' normally get it wrong!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:37 pm 
Ken Hunter

Princes Park Whistler wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

No missed that.

I was probably to busy laughing at 'Manic Ranter' banging on and on about Billy Idol. (God knows why?)

His words....."Come on, you all know Billy Idol!!!! He sang that great song White Christmas". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I laughed so hard I think I wet myself :eek: :eek:

Comedy Gold and he doesn't even it know it. :razz:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

For mine, it's fairly obvious that Ratten deserves to coach next year and I will be disappointed if he is not given the chance to do so:

- Improvement every year from 2008-2011 inclusive
- Having us with a decent chance of playing finals (and likely winning 13/22 games) despite the extraordinary misfortune of his list being decimated for most of the year by injuries to both key players and their replacements
- Performances suggest that the players are firmly behind him

I'm still not confident that he will be retained, but there's no doubt in my mind that he deserves to coach us in 2013.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:16 pm 
Wayne Johnston

DocSherrin wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

It doesn't bode well for Ratts, C-Man....the 'RISC' normally get it wrong!

Maybe they have finally worked that out and are doing the opposite to what they really want.

Personally, I think Ratts' work over the last 6weeks has been fantastic. In tough times he stuck to the task and got the best out of team.

He has learnt a lot and so have the playing list.

Let him see out his contract i say. Recruit smartly. Offload those identified as flaky.

Win a flag. :razz:

Post subject: Praise for Ratts!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:24 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Any negative feedback I ever heard about Ratts came from within the Carltonians Coterie. Not sure what thei position is today as my colleague moved on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

I heard Robert Walls say on Sunday that Ratten is a better coach now to what he was 12 months ago because of what he's been through this year.

It begs a few questions - have we won 5 out of the last 7 because Ratten is coaching better or because we have players back from injury/suspension? What, if anything, is Ratts doing differently now compared to earlier in the season? Or has he been coaching really well all season but other issues were causing poor performances? Have we allowed injuries to rule our standards to an unacceptable extent? It's really hard to assess the performance of a coach unless you're inside the club.

I posted this about 6 weeks ago:

aboynamedsue wrote:
What's happening at the moment is unfortunate, but was completely foreseeable IMO. Possibly even inevitable. Many of us understood the reasons for Ratten's appointment in late 2007 ('putting the Carlton back in Carlton', easy sell to members after the Pagan years, good footy brain etc), but had serious reservations at the time that he was going to be the coach to guide us to the promised land. For some reason, I've always had an 'interim coach' feeling about Ratten's appointment.

I really wanted Ratten to succeed (I still do), but I've never been able to picture him as a premiership coach. I get the impression that the club has shared my doubts all along, but, like me, hoped that Ratten would grow and develop into an elite coach. From the outside looking in, he certainly appeared to improve (perhaps surrounding him with some of the best credentialed assistants helped) but I honestly think the club has now made up its mind up that he's taken us as far as he can. We need someone else to take us to the next level. As Maclure said on 360 last night, Ratten may or may not see the season out - but he won't be in charge next year.

Ratten should be proud of what he's achieved - he helped us off the floor and walked us slowly to the window. The window is open but he can't find a way to get us through it. Time for him to step aside, IMO.

He comes across as a ripping bloke, a passionate Carlton man (I dare say he loves the club as much or more than any supporter) and a very knowledgeable footy person. But as Maclure said, the role of AFL Coach has evolved to the point of being comparable in corporate terms to a GM or CEO of a major company. Does anyone see Ratten that way? Is he an effective 'coach of the coaches'? Or is he a well-meaning, very hard-working, ex-champion player and massive footy head?

I'm the first to admit that it's risky to assess the performance of coaches unless you're inside the club, but Ratten certainly gives the impression (and, like it or not, perception is reality in this business) of being in over his head as an AFL Head Coach. I don't think that's "Ratten bashing", it's just my opinion based on my observations over the last 5 years.

Believe it or not, I love the bloke. However, I love the club more.

He would be terrific as a line coach at AFL level, or even a senior coach at VFL level. It's probably unrealistic, but I'd love him to stay on at Carlton as midfield or forward coach. Give him one area of football to focus on, rather than manage an entire department. I doubt very much that will happen (I don't think he'll want to hang around when the axe falls, and you couldn't blame his successor for not being comfortable working with the man he replaced).

What I don't want is for Ratten to be the scapegoat for all of our problems. The entire club needs to be looked at - the President, CEO, Board, fitness/medical staff, assistant coaches, players, recruiting staff, communications, marketing - I would expect minor or major changes in all those areas over the summer.

Can we trust the people in charge to cause a comprehensive review of all aspects of the club's operation? And if the review is legitimately independent, can we trust the club to act appropriately on all recommendations? Can we trust the club to follow a sound process in identifying and appointing a long-term replacement coach?

I guess we have no choice...

I still think the club needs to conduct a comprehensive review of all aspects of the club's operation, but I'll put my hand up and say I'm less certain now that Ratts will definitely be gone at the end of the year. Whether we make the finals or not, I'm now more of the view that if the club had enough confidence in him 12 months ago to give him a new 2 year contract they should let him see it out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

"magnificent effort chaps.....we were the victor over the 10th side on its knees"
Rah rah you bunch of Melbourne supporters exceptors of mediocrity
If we beat gold coast and stkilda we beat 11th and 15
Top 4 objective gets demoted to win one final
Now lower the bar to making the eight
Now lower it a bit further because we had more injuries relative to the rest of the competition a fabricated argument
Ratten the good chappy can keep his job and we can sign him on for another two years because hes heart is in the right place and he is good bloke.
Beat westcoast in Perth in a final and prove something for once

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

What was the thread title again?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

Michael Jezz wrote:

Would it make any difference to you if they did?

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:51 pm 
Robert Walls

Another thread that starts off with good intent and get high jacked by the keyboard warriors.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

As opposed to the ones that tell it like it is and get hijacked by people with no @#$%&! clue?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:54 pm 
Rod Ashman

Cazzesman wrote:
Michael Jezz wrote:

Would it make any difference to you if they did?

Regards Cazzesman

Yes it would be objective proof delivered by a result rather than sentiment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

DocSherrin wrote:
As opposed to the ones that tell it like it is and get hijacked by people with no !@#$%& clue?

As distinct from the ones who've sold their stock, gone on leave, stated they have no more interest and yet ..... continue to post. :razz:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

cimm1979 wrote:
As distinct from the ones who've sold their stock, gone on leave, stated they have no more interest and yet ..... continue to post. :razz:

Sure...fair point...at least for 2012...maybe beyond. But Ratts has pulled out the junk-time wins and the blinkered Carlton fans (of which there are many) will no doubt believe that all is well...some of the 'blinkered & bogan' fans even tell me 'I don't really care what happens off-field, I only care what happens on it.' Fair dinkum it's like watching Maury Povich re-runs on here sometimes. The dumbing down of the average Carlton supporter. The club must be rapt! It's just what they wanted. But they still have a strategic plan to adhere to....and Ratts still has KPI's in his job description to attain. Neither are being done. Neither have been satisfactory. I just want action...not apathy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

DocSherrin wrote:
cimm1979 wrote:

Sure...fair point...at least for 2012...maybe beyond. But Ratts has pulled out the junk-time wins and the blinkered Carlton fans (of which there are many) will no doubt believe that all is well...some of the 'blinkered & bogan' fans even tell me 'I don't really care what happens off-field, I only care what happens on it.' Fair dinkum it's like watching Maury Povich re-runs on here sometimes. The dumbing down of the average Carlton supporter. The club must be rapt! It's just what they wanted. But they still have a strategic plan to adhere to....and Ratts still has KPI's in his job description to attain. Neither are being done. Neither have been satisfactory. I just want action...not apathy.

Just because people don't agree with you doesn't make them intellectually or culturally ignorant Doc.

Yes, people buy memberships out of loyalty and rarely question the motives of the decision makers, but I don't think too many people on here as as blinkered as you would like to believe. Some may even have a little more of an idea than your good self, hard to believe I know, but a possibility.

Other may even have experience with similar organisations, served on boards, managed large concerns, dealt with the ramifications of expensive decisions and even felt the wrath of shareholders when things go wrong.

Some of these people may hold a position different to yours and are not fools for choosing to hope for the best.

In short, your coming across like a stuck up wanker.

Post subject: Praise for Ratts!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:48 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

cimm1979 wrote:

That's very unfair and insulting. I happen to know Doc and he's NOT a stuck-up wanker at all. In fact I reckon he's quite a modest and humble wanker. ;-)

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

Last edited by moshe25 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

moshe25 wrote:
cimm1979 wrote:

That's very unfair and insulting. I happen to know Doc and he's NOT a stuck-up wanker at all. I'm fact I reckon he's quite a modest and humble wanker. ;-)

So start a thread and we'll see how it goes. :razz:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next