Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: NRS nominations
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:11 am 
Trevor Keogh

Now I'm unsure whether Carrazzo is eligible for a rising star nomination this year...... :razz:
but could Casboult, Bell or McInnes get a look in over the last 3 rounds or will it continue to be a GWS love-in?

Post subject: NRS nominations
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:27 am 
formerly King Kenny

McInnes is eligible, Bolt is too old, Bell I think is to old?

Post subject: Re: NRS nominations
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:57 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Not that i rate the NRS as a way of sucssesful drafting..........

However it is a concern that we haven't had a nomination for 2 years now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:05 am 
Ken Hunter

Our debuting players last year were all too old - Tuohy, Duigan, Curnow.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Who cares? Many of these dont "go on" with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If you think a generally below par showing in regards to the NRS over the years is not symptomatic of something then you are living in Fairyland.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

King Kenny wrote:

Bell is still eligible, he only turned 21 this year. Have to be under 21 at the start of the season.
Unless you play for GWS you dont get a look in anyway, the award and selection of the nominations is flawed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:26 pm 
Garry Crane

Can anyone with the time/inclination throw up some info such as who has been eligible (age/games wise) for a NRS nomination for the Blues in the last 3-4 years?

Pafloyul wrote:
If you think a generally below par showing in regards to the NRS over the years is not symptomatic of something then you are living in Fairyland.

Playing devil's advocate here, but maybe it isnt 'symptomatic of something' but rather the result of the methods used by the Carlton coaching and development staff? The reason I asked for the stats before is I just wondered how many genuinely young players we have given a few games compared to some other clubs. Perhaps the Blues staff seem to think playing a guy who is 18 years old with an underdeveloped body and low skills is not the way forward?

People have often been critical of the club for simply copying other team's plans or systems, but perhaps this is somewhere we are trying something different.

Of course, I could just be way off the mark and we have played plenty of young guys and they were all duds :) My memory is a bit poor after working a 12 hour day...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:04 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Eddie wrote:
King Kenny wrote:

Bell is still eligible, he only turned 21 this year. Have to be under 21 at the start of the season.
Unless you play for GWS you dont get a look in anyway, the award and selection of the nominations is flawed.

Damn Straight. Clay Smith round 1 kicked 4 and plenty of touches. Didn't get the nod. Hasn't been nominated yet and if doesn't get the nod in next couple of weeks will be ineligible for next year cos he has played more than 10 games. Dumb system for nominating.

In terms of the Blues, Touhy was too old by about a month maybe less. Would have been a shoe in for a nom and probably would have given it a nudge otherwise.

Did Mitch Robinson get a nom in his first year? Again kicked 4 on debut and got heaps of touches and didn't get the nod that week. Does it matter that he missed out on one? meh....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:59 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Number of NRS nominations is a rough proxy for young talent in a team, but it has some value.

I don't think we can complain about unfair NRS criteria or selections any more than other clubs.

The fact is we haven't had a highly talented and eligible kid perform at a high enough level in the last few years.

None of the last 47 NRS nominees have been Carlton players and every other club has had at least one nomination in that time.

GWS - 7
GC - 5
Melb - 4
Geel -4
Rich - 4
WCE - 4
Ess- 2
Coll - 2
StK - 2
Bris - 2
Port - 2
Freo - 2
Haw - 2
Dogs - 2
Nth - 1
Adel -1
Syd - 1
Blues - 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

I've kinda forgotten what the NRS is, it's been so long since we've had a nomination.

I think it's a reasonably flawed system that acknowledges immediate impact over sustained development, but you'd still have to think it's a worry that we lag in nominations.

Factors would be recruiting, development and a reluctance of the match committee to actually bring kids in and give them proper jobs to do on the field.

Whatever the causes, I think it'd be fair to say that we haven't really excelled at constantly rejuvenating the team via drafted youth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:26 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Hardly matters. We played a team only fractionally older than Brisbane on the weekend -- 20 days older on average. 8 players with less than 50 games. One player over 30.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:29 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

JohnM wrote:
I've kinda forgotten what the NRS is, it's been so long since we've had a nomination.

I think it's a reasonably flawed system that acknowledges immediate impact over sustained development, but you'd still have to think it's a worry that we lag in nominations.

Factors would be recruiting, development and a reluctance of the match committee to actually bring kids in and give them proper jobs to do on the field.

Whatever the causes, I think it'd be fair to say that we haven't really excelled at constantly rejuvenating the team via drafted youth.

Yep. The list has improved in the last 3 years, but the last 6 weeks is the first time in a while we've played kids, and out of necessity, we've found a few that are ready to play at the level. McInnes is the only one of these who is eligible, and while he's a good young player, and a good get at 70+, he isn't a star.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:05 am 
Horrie Clover

At the start of the year Carlton had the ruling favourite to win this years award. He was in his third year (a massive advantage) but still eligible because of total games played. He was seen as all class, had a great pre season (hype?) and was going to be the next midfielder we needed to become a top four team.

He can't get a game (form? GWS? not good enough?) , and is now $1000 to win the award.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:17 am 
Geoff Southby

pinnell wrote:
At the start of the year Carlton had the ruling favourite to win this years award. He was in his third year (a massive advantage) but still eligible because of total games played. He was seen as all class, had a great pre season (hype?) and was going to be the next midfielder we needed to become a top four team.

He can't get a game (form? GWS? not good enough?) , and is now $1000 to win the award.

Yeah well, a lot of things were going to happen this year but for some reason didn't. Remember Ratts told us Gibbs was going to take the competition by the scruff of the neck in 2012? He must be injured I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:36 pm 
Wayne Johnston

It's a pity Levi is not eligible :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:30 pm 
Craig Bradley

You'd think McInness might be a chance at a nomination ... if it wasn't determined by media spruiking, Supercoach points, or the AFL's interests in promoting the game in developing markets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:15 am 
Stephen Kernahan

It's bingo FFS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:29 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Stefchook wrote:
You'd think McInness might be a chance at a nomination ... if it wasn't determined by media spruiking, Supercoach points, or the AFL's interests in promoting the game in developing markets.

It'd be nice for him. BUt realistically he is never going to win the whole thing. And to be honest, from a selfish perspective I'd rather have a solid 200 game player than a bloke who plays 30 flashy games but gets an NRS nom in his first year.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:54 am 
Bruce Doull

nom nom nom