Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

verbs wrote:
Malthouse doesn’t want the rules changed for women or men. He said he doesn’t like women playing footy.

The interview I heard was him saying he doesn't like it ion its current format. He says there should be some rule changes that address the injury issue.

#Istandwithmick on this one

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:13 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

What rule changes for the women did he suggest?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

The women go in hard... way more than the men imo... it's what I admire about AFLW and makes the game very watchable.

But the health concerns associated have to be taken seriously... it's just a shame that in today's social climate, whether the message is either taken on board or is lost, is dependent on the messenger.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

sinbagger wrote:
So men aren’t allowed to have any opinions about women?

Of course they are, but we're talking systemic and generational issues here, well beyond the Malthouse–Hope stuff, and in many cases it's not that men hold opinions on women's issues, it's that they're often held at the expense of all others and assume they know best and that any counter opinions are wrong.

I'm not saying Hope acted in the best or most appropriate manner, but just look at the gender profiling that's taken place in recent comments. Malthouse, hitherto slandered and dismissed by pretty much all of us on this site, has been suddenly elevated to expert on women's footy who's every word is accepted, while Hope has been dismissed pretty much universally and her opinion not accepted.

Neither Malthouse nor Hope has acted perfectly, but only one is being listened to. Some of that may be because of the way Hope reacted etc, and some of that criticism directed towards her behaviour may be warranted. However, as the only AFLW player involved in the discussion, Hope deserves to be heard.

It's difficult to discuss stuff like this because the specifics of the issue at hand get caught up in the much, much broader issue of gender imbalance. But why that bigger picture issue matters is that Hope has probably been told countless times by men why AFLW is crap, or why women should do this or that. That's after probably being laughed at when she was a kid if she said she wanted to play footy. And so it goes.

Anyway, I should have learnt by now it's not really worth trying to add a counter point to topics such as this. C'est la vie.

:beer:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

verbs wrote:

That would've been a really good question for Mo to ask Mick - but she was crying in the carpark posting shit on Instagram because someone said something she didn't agree with.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

camelboy wrote:
sinbagger wrote:

Of course they are, but we're talking systemic and generational issues here, well beyond the Malthouse–Hope stuff, and in many cases it's not that men hold opinions on women's issues, it's that they're often held at the expense of all others and assume they know best and that any counter opinions are wrong.

I'm not saying Hope acted in the best or most appropriate manner, but just look at the gender profiling that's taken place in recent comments. Malthouse, hitherto slandered and dismissed by pretty much all of us on this site, has been suddenly elevated to expert on women's footy who's every word is accepted, while Hope has been dismissed pretty much universally and her opinion not accepted.

Neither Malthouse nor Hope has acted perfectly, but only one is being listened to. Some of that may be because of the way Hope reacted etc, and some of that criticism directed towards her behaviour may be warranted. However, as the only AFLW player involved in the discussion, Hope deserves to be heard.

It's difficult to discuss stuff like this because the specifics of the issue at hand get caught up in the much, much broader issue of gender imbalance. But why that bigger picture issue matters is that Hope has probably been told countless times by men why AFLW is crap, or why women should do this or that. That's after probably being laughed at when she was a kid if she said she wanted to play footy. And so it goes.

Anyway, I should have learnt by now it's not really worth trying to add a counter point to topics such as this. C'est la vie.

I'm happy to hear your counter point and I'm sure the audience at the lunch would've loved to hear Mo's counter points also. I respect her opinions, but we don't all have to agree. And it's hard to have a conversation with someone who runs out and slams you on Insta to her 10,000 followers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:35 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The Duke wrote:
verbs wrote:

That would've been a really good question for Mo to ask Mick - but she was crying in the carpark posting shit on Instagram because someone said something she didn't agree with.

So did he say in a just general senses that there should be rule changes without going into details?

He hates rule changes and hates Women playing his sport.

He’s a dinosaur. One who we stupidly got sucked into his warped 1950s thinking.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:48 pm 
Bruce Doull

verbs wrote:
The Duke wrote:
verbs wrote:

So did he say in a just general senses that there should be rule changes without going into details?

www.google.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:51 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The Duke wrote:
verbs wrote:
The Duke wrote:
verbs wrote:

http://www.google.com

You’re the one who said he suggested rule changes for women. Either you made it up or can detail his “improvements” due to his conern for the welfare of women playing AFL.

It’s not difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:14 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Sakc Mikc

Last edited by verbs on Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:47 pm 
Wayne Johnston

camelboy wrote:
sinbagger wrote:

I think the problem is she had no opinion on what MM said, except that it was apparently all wrong and sexist.

You gain respect by arguing your point of view respectfully and logically. Not by doing a dummy spit.

Maybe MM was completely wrong, it wouldn’t surprise me. But Hope never even tried.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:48 pm 
Bruce Doull

Cos she had......no hope.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 am 
Robert Walls

verbs wrote:
The Duke wrote:
verbs wrote:

He may well be a dinosaur but the bottom line is that for many of us to immediately challenge Mick's 'wrongfulness' just because Mo stormed out devalues Mo's credibility when she is talking to girls in schools about being empowered to have a voice, follow their dreams and challenge the status quo.

Sadly, and this is not my opinion but more an observation, Mo's emotional exit, posting on instagram and avoiding the issue the next day at a footy clinic does nothing but feed the stereotype that some men may have about women/emotions etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:20 am 
Bruce Doull

I don't think it's a female thing - just an generation/upbringing issue. They weren't taught how to be emotionally resilient and can't deal when someone disagrees with them.

I blame universities for not preparing them for the realities of life :razz: . She thinks she's a trailblazing rebel, but in reality, when she behaves like that, she's just a dumb simpleton who's been exposed.

But Hope will get enough support from other 'victims' to think she's right and also a victim of maleness.

And so the great divide continues.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:50 am 
Stephen Silvagni

99prelim wrote:
verbs wrote:
The Duke wrote:
verbs wrote:

He may well be a dinosaur but the bottom line is that for many of us to immediately challenge Mick's 'wrongfulness' just because Mo stormed out devalues Mo's credibility when she is talking to girls in schools about being empowered to have a voice, follow their dreams and challenge the status quo.

Sadly, and this is not my opinion but more an observation, Mo's emotional exit, posting on instagram and avoiding the issue the next day at a footy clinic does nothing but feed the stereotype that some men may have about women/emotions etc.

Regardless of how one person reacted, what does it say about the codger saying he doesn’t like women playing footy during that forum? He’s entitled to his opinion for sure but where’s the tact?

It would be good to hear what he actually said at the function but what he’s said subsequently proves we made a monumental blunder appointing him. He’s set us back so far it’s not too far fetched to think perhaps it was a Collingwood ruse all along.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:55 am 
Craig Bradley

Caroline Wilson does the victim act from time to time but she came out in support MM today...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:56 am 
Stephen Silvagni

That’s a good reason to despise Malthouse even more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:58 am 
Craig Bradley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

99prelim wrote:
verbs wrote:
The Duke wrote:
verbs wrote:

He may well be a dinosaur but the bottom line is that for many of us to immediately challenge Mick's 'wrongfulness' just because Mo stormed out devalues Mo's credibility

Just like you're incorrectly judging other posters by suggesting they're making judgements based on Mo Hope storming out. :?
I read what he said and thought his comments were bigoted and outdated. Mick has a history of lying and deflecting to save his own arse. This is quite possibly another case of the same.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

verbs wrote:
99prelim wrote:
verbs wrote:
The Duke wrote:
verbs wrote:

Regardless of how one person reacted, what does it say about the codger saying he doesn’t like women playing footy during that forum? He’s entitled to his opinion for sure but where’s the tact?

It would be good to hear what he actually said at the function but what he’s said subsequently proves we made a monumental blunder appointing him. He’s set us back so far it’s not too far fetched to think perhaps it was a Collingwood ruse all along.

Can you actually give me the quote where he says "I don't like women playing football"? Or are you just guessing. And what has he actually said since that is so 'disgusting'.

Forget the MM that coached the CFC, he's gone. I want to know what was said that was so offensive. Not what people thought he said, not what people think he meant, just what he said.

Because I can't find the offending comments.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next