Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Cameron Ling on Gibbs
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:26 pm 
Bruce Comben

I rate and respect Cameron Ling , so when he talks about one of our players i take notice. When Lingy was asked during the game last night about Bryce Gibbs and his development and what roles/positions he should playing in, he pretty much said that he was not being developed to his full potential and he should be playing midfield and learning to win his own ball. Surely the lost cause season we are suffering would highlight the importance of this fact.Bryce is on a fast track to mediocrity and potential un fulfilled. He should have been played on the ball during many games this year and also dropped for a few weeks to reinforce that no selection is a given. God help us if he's not going to be dropped after what he's dished up this year, well we might as well put the cue in the rack. Geelong took the hard road with Steve Johnson and we all know how that has panned out ! Cotton Wool wont work in the end ! One thing you will never see is Bryce getting cleaned up like Simmo, Bryce is too smart for that. Major Disappointment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

YOUBEAUTY wrote:
I rate and respect Cameron Ling , so when he talks about one of our players i take notice. When Lingy was asked during the game last night about Bryce Gibbs and his development and what roles/positions he should playing in, he pretty much said that he was not being developed to his full potential and he should be playing midfield and learning to win his own ball. Surely the lost cause season we are suffering would highlight the importance of this fact.Bryce is on a fast track to mediocrity and potential un fulfilled. He should have been played on the ball during many games this year and also dropped for a few weeks to reinforce that no selection is a given. God help us if he's not going to be dropped after what he's dished up this year, well we might as well put the cue in the rack. Geelong took the hard road with Steve Johnson and we all know how that has panned out ! Cotton Wool wont work in the end ! One thing you will never see is Bryce getting cleaned up like Simmo, Bryce is too smart for that. Major Disappointment.

I keep hearing Ling wants to coach.

Assistant at the Blues?

Defensive onballer, knows about accountability, seems like a players coach, comes from a very very successful system.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:44 pm 
formerly cj69

YOUBEAUTY wrote:

Yep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

cimm1979 wrote:

Assistant at the Blues?

Defensive onballer, knows about accountability, seems like a players coach, comes from a very very successful system.

Like it Cimm.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

ratten murders talent.
he destroys lists with poor management.
he has no tactical idea.

we need to move beyond him as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

This is a good thread. :wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:55 pm 
Serge Silvagni

cimm1979 wrote:
YOUBEAUTY wrote:

Assistant at the Blues?

Ok,,make it happen !!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:26 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Starts each season in the middle and doesnt really cut it. Moves back to defence and plays his best football and an important role.

Not much point continually crying out for the coach to put a square peg in a round hole.

Dont mind the idea of Ling as an assistant though.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Gotta games into Gibbs as a mid.

I heard Ling and others make the same comment on TV.

Just the thought that Gibbs is a No 1 draft but is used as a tagger is wrong...think about it.

He can get his own ball, and if he has to for a living he will get better at it. Simple.

Otherwise, what a wasted talent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

Waters said the same thing about Goddard and the way he was played under Lyon. Very reason he has pushed him up the ground!!!!
I always said Gibbs me reminds me of Goddard!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:30 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Would love to have Ling on in our coaching ranks somewhere.

Not many guys know as much about the engine room as him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:31 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I assume everybody noticed how much better Gibbs played when taken off the tag. Seems to be useful at half forward and is a good kick for goal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

TruBlueBrad wrote:
Starts each season in the middle and doesnt really cut it. Moves back to defence and plays his best football and an important role.

Not much point continually crying out for the coach to put a square peg in a round hole.

Dont mind the idea of Ling as an assistant though.

Doesnt help if youre coached by Bret 'Kneejerk' Ratten...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:35 pm 
Bruce Doull

SurreyBlue wrote:
Waters said the same thing about Goddard and the way he was played under Lyon. Very reason he has pushed him up the ground!!!!
I always said Gibbs me reminds me of Goddard!!!!!

Why is that???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 pm 
Bob Chitty

Now there's someone I never thought of. Lingy would be a great acquisition. Synbads right, Ratts seems very reactive. Gibbs should be played in the guts all the time. Make accountable and have to get his own footy. No point in wasting him as a tagger or quarterback.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

mots wrote:
Now there's someone I never thought of. Lingy would be a great acquisition. Synbads right, Ratts seems very reactive. Gibbs should be played in the guts all the time. Make accountable and have to get his own footy. No point in wasting him as a tagger or quarterback.

We have quarter backs.
Tuohy
Yarran.

Gibbs needs to take that step up to a genuine matchwinner and weapon between the arcs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:56 pm 
formerly cj69

mots wrote:

Look how Goddards gone backwards since playing that role. You get lazy. No where that player I saw in the drawn GF.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:00 pm 
Bob Chitty

Thats what I am saying Synbad. We have quarterbacks. I am actually agreeing with you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

mots wrote:
Thats what I am saying Synbad. We have quarterbacks. I am actually agreeing with you.

Im agreeing with you too mate!!!

We are agreeing... im just adding my tiny voice with yours...hopefully so they can hear is in the Carlton footy club match committee nerve centre.. where we have an army of very intelligent people thinking about imaginative ways to make this club 'ACE' again... :thumbsup: :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:08 pm 
formerly cj69

The "Quaterback" role if used needs to be a taller mobile player. Need to play third man up, zone off and set up play.

IMO Laidler will be our best bet. Dont right off McInnes or OKeefe for that role in the future.