Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alastair Clarkson
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:25 pm 
Craig Bradley

deano35 wrote:
thryleon wrote:
deano35 wrote:
thryleon wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Malthouse 2.0 .......spare me

Alistair Clarkson is a 4 time Premiership coach from the last 17 years.
He has just taken a bottom 4 list with injuries to 1 yes 1 less win then us.
It is absolutely different to why Mick came and coached us.
Malthouse coached on for all the wrong reasons.
Clarkson is still in the top 3 if not the best coach in the AFL.

We need to do everything we can to get Clarkson to coach our club.
This is our Ron Barassi moment in time.

Mick's last two years at Collingwood was back to back grand finals, a premiership and a minor premiership.

Clarko is leaving a hawthorn where the real work and 5 years out in the wilderness beckons unless he pulls off a miracle and turns it around quickly.

For the record, we have two real options.

1. Extend Teague for 2 years giving him 3 more to go (doubtful, less than 5%).

2. Sack him and go with someone else.

Irrespective of where that sits with fans, I'm of the opinion that unless our club changes its ways and fully invests in the direction its going we aren't going to do much but more of the same for the next few years.

Mick's first year with us was an elimination final win does everyone remember that

For the record we have 2 real options you are correct:

1 - Sack him and hire Clarkson

2 - Sack him and hire Lyon

Got in the 8 only because the drug cheats booted out. We finished 9th on the ladder not playing Mick's way and he took us backwards after that.

If you truly believe that Clarkson will take us backwards I can't converse with you anymore.
I will respectfully agree to disagree with you.

Our club has killed off 6 coaches. Even a good coach struggles with a club with a poor culture, which would include Clarko. Malthouse struggled with it and he was every inch as good a coach given his history before arriving here. Tells me our issues aren't necessarily coaching. If you are simply using coaching and performance at Carlton as your guide then you are right off direction.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

I'm not sure you can use the Malthouse example. Like Pagan he just did not relate to the players. Sometime long term successful coaches at other clubs just don't translate into a new club. And I do not believe it is purely a club culture thing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:16 pm 
Rod Ashman

Whoever the coach is let's hope he can make better match day decisions on

1- who makes the team/who is dropped/elevated

2- where they are placed on the ground.

1- example. Marc Murphy and Setterfield. Murphy was average in the first six rounds but he was still selected. Not dropped, why?
Setterfield..I went to the Collingwood match Rd 3 and he was a significant factor in the loss. He was dropped/omitted next game but brought back in Round 4....why? were there no better options?

2- where the players are placed. The Paddy Dow one is really intriguing. A good coach would know how to get the best out of a player that has had his confidence implode. Sometimes he looked back on track...but is he really a midfielder now? Is there somewhere else for him? A good coach would know the answers for that.

Then again I like what they did with Jack Silvagni- they found the ruck/ruck rover position is a brilliant way to get him into the game.

2- attacking half-back flankers. We have an oversupply. Who do you use there- is one of them better somewhere else?

Whatever happens- I want a coach who knows where to put the chess pieces and when to take pieces off the board when they aren't producing.

The player that could really lift others in confidence is Nic Newman. I will be intrigued where they put him next year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

carntheblues wrote:
I'm not sure you can use the Malthouse example. Like Pagan he just did not relate to the players. Sometime long term successful coaches at other clubs just don't translate into a new club. And I do not believe it is purely a club culture thing.

No coach at Carlton seems to relate to the players. Been an issue for 20 years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/24/ ... qDx5WL2gxg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:38 pm 
Serge Silvagni

jim wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/24/alastair-clarkson-firming-for-carlton-job-in-2022/?fbclid=IwAR1e9iHVUHnK5FT2HfcZUUjrbP11xKV99yBmJDMqTPB7ZJGeQqDx5WL2gxg

Haha.

Notice all of the hypotheticals contained...I...might..win tattslotto...because..... I bought a ticket..... !!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:41 pm 
formerly Fevola

BlueJean wrote:
jim wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/24/alastair-clarkson-firming-for-carlton-job-in-2022/?fbclid=IwAR1e9iHVUHnK5FT2HfcZUUjrbP11xKV99yBmJDMqTPB7ZJGeQqDx5WL2gxg

Haha.

Notice all of the hypotheticals contained...I...might..win tattslotto...because..... I bought a ticket..... !!!!

Yep the media is trolling Big Footy I reckon and creating articles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:57 pm 
formerly Fevola

Not coaching as per Tom Browne. Official apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:59 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Tom Browne
@TomBrowne7
·
1m
“He is fully committed to taking the year off to spend time with his family and to undertake further study and personal development opportunities” Henderson has told @7NewsMelbourne
@7AFL
Clarkson’s manager James Henderson has confirmed this to @7NewsMelbourne
@7AFL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Drewgirl wrote:

If official (and def not having a go at you, but will wait for official word, Tom Browne is not official), do we look at Ross or explore other coaching options? Either way, Teague has to go. No ifs ands or buts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

rhino27 wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:

If official (and def not having a go at you, but will wait for official word, Tom Browne is not official), do we look at Ross or explore other coaching options? Either way, Teague has to go. No ifs ands or buts.

Lyon or others, not Teague

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

rhino27 wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:

Other options, there's gotta be more out there and perhaps something out of left field. If Teague's onfield performance hasn't sealed his fate, his off-field performance (with help from sidekick Pickers) certainly has.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:10 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The whole 'surround Teague with good assistant coaches' thing seems flawed to me. If I was an up and coming assistant, he's the last coach I'd want to learn from.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If this is true, then I certainly hope the wasted week thus far hasn't been on account of Clarkson, but it is hard to imagine otherwise.

Wonder what happens to Teague now. Do we get rid of him anyhow? If so then they should have done that weeks ago.

Do we go Lyon as Plan B?
If so then they should have sacked Teague weeks ago.

Are we forced to keep Teague?

Or go a Plan C like a Pyke or a Scott, which the club will sell in to members with great enthusiasm but deep down some of us will know is nothing less than a compromise.

Maybe Clarkson has said he will coach is in 2023. I find it hard to believe he would commit when so much can happen in 12 months.

Bit of a mess really.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:13 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Scotty12000 wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:

Other options, there's gotta be more out there and perhaps something out of left field. If Teague's onfield performance hasn't sealed his fate, his off-field performance (with help from sidekick Pickers) certainly has.

Agree. Can't possibly see how he returns after his mouthpiece slagged off our captain. Truth be told, couldn't really see a situation where he returned regardless.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:15 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Add to that, would be incredibly stupid of the club (but nothing this club does surprises me anymore) to keep Teague in the hope Clarko will change his mind in 12 months time. Create nothing but distractions and instability, not to mention having a bloke who has proven to be hopelessly out of his depth for another 12 months. Regardless of what Clarko decided, Teague should already have been sacked.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:15 pm 
Craig Bradley

rhino27 wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:

His manager was quoted so Clarko is out. Wasn't Tom Browne getting snippets.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

rhino27 wrote:
Add to that, would be incredibly stupid of the club (but nothing this club does surprises me anymore) to keep Teague in the hope Clarko will change his mind in 12 months time. Create nothing but distractions and instability, not to mention having a bloke who has proven to be hopelessly out of his depth for another 12 months. Regardless of what Clarko decided, Teague should already have been sacked.

Correct. Teague should have been sacked and a process commenced, timed to allow Clarkson to make a decision.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:18 pm 
Craig Bradley

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/exclusiv ... -c-3775871

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Buckley.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next