Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alastair Clarkson
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

WOW! We can't do anything right!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

WOW wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
WOW wrote:
robertbb wrote:
WOW wrote:
Do some posters still believe we know what we are doing?

Shambles and a laughing stock. Particularly if it is true there are two board members that won’t vote for Lyon.

That doesn't mean it's a shambles. Surely if there is a majority, they win. If it's 50/50 there must be a process (I would imagine Sayers makes the call) no?

This club is a shambles. Not just referring to the coaching merry go round. Has been for a very long time.

Surely, if Teague is not the right person, then he would have been sacked by now. Instead he is conducting exit interviews.

Who is better qualified to do the exit interviews? :?
Surely Teague knows what has been expected of individual players and what roles they were given. He's contracted for another year. If he cant do the job properly, he should re-consider having any future role in the AFL.

By approaching Clarkson and Lyon before the review was finalised, we have effectively said to Teague you are not the appropriate person to take us forward. Let’s stop kidding ourselves. In this scenario, he should have been sacked before today. My point was not necessarily about him conducting the interviews. Obviously, he is still there and in the best position to conduct those interviews. Although, they become redundant if there is a new coach, who has completely different views.

I thought the review was to assess the performance of the whole of the Footy department, not just to rubber stamp replacement of the coach. The review may have stated that Teague can coach but there needs to be other changes and support mechanisms around him given his new to the senior coach role whilst also adding this could also be overcome by replacing Teague with a more experienced senior coach? Sacking Teague may not be a "fait accompli".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

carntheblues wrote:
WOW wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
WOW wrote:
WOW wrote:
Do some posters still believe we know what we are doing?

Shambles and a laughing stock. Particularly if it is true there are two board members that won’t vote for Lyon.

That doesn't mean it's a shambles. Surely if there is a majority, they win. If it's 50/50 there must be a process (I would imagine Sayers makes the call) no?

This club is a shambles. Not just referring to the coaching merry go round. Has been for a very long time.

Surely, if Teague is not the right person, then he would have been sacked by now. Instead he is conducting exit interviews.

Who is better qualified to do the exit interviews? :?
Surely Teague knows what has been expected of individual players and what roles they were given. He's contracted for another year. If he cant do the job properly, he should re-consider having any future role in the AFL.

By approaching Clarkson and Lyon before the review was finalised, we have effectively said to Teague you are not the appropriate person to take us forward. Let’s stop kidding ourselves. In this scenario, he should have been sacked before today. My point was not necessarily about him conducting the interviews. Obviously, he is still there and in the best position to conduct those interviews. Although, they become redundant if there is a new coach, who has completely different views.

I thought the review was to assess the performance of the whole of the Footy department, not just to rubber stamp replacement of the coach. The review may have stated that Teague can coach but there needs to be other changes and support mechanisms around him given his new to the senior coach role whilst also adding this could also be overcome by replacing Teague with a more experienced senior coach? Sacking Teague may not be a "fait accompli".[/quote]

I'd be surprised if the review made any recommendations for any specific individual to go.
More likely more general recommendations like "need more experience in assistants", or "X and Y are not a good combination". More resources needed in this area, eg development.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

jezzarules wrote:
I thought the review was to assess the performance of the whole of the Footy department, not just to rubber stamp replacement of the coach. The review may have stated that Teague can coach but there needs to be other changes and support mechanisms around him given his new to the senior coach role whilst also adding this could also be overcome by replacing Teague with a more experienced senior coach? Sacking Teague may not be a "fait accompli".

I'd be surprised if the review made any recommendations for any specific individual to go.
More likely more general recommendations like "need more experience in assistants", or "X and Y are not a good combination". More resources needed in this area, eg development.

Agree with the first bit - The ex-pres claimed publicly the review wasn’t specifically of the coach solely, then the media were the ones that threw the bait in the water that this was strictly a performance appraisal of Teague. The general football public grabbed the bait easily and ran with it coz let’s face it, Teague’s been shit all season (at best).

Teague was then the one who made it all about him, playing victim in this self-fulfilling prophecy; throwing in the towel in pressers and pre-empting the findings of the review, already waving the white flag and taking pot shots at the board and the club in the process. His sidekick Pickers then spoke publicly out of turn, sullied the captain (as a proxy voice for Teague) and solidified the untenability of Teague’s continuance.

As I said earlier, if his onfield performance (or lack thereof) hadn’t sealed his fate, his off-field performance in recent weeks certainly has. Will take a lot to move forward and the pressure will be unreal if so…

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:45 pm 
Banned

:donk:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:27 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

In a way I'm glad Clarkson is out of the running. I was finding myself conflicted and had started to convince myself that he was the best choice for the club. Now I can just go back to hating the cauliflower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

The_Cranium wrote:
In a way I'm glad Clarkson is out of the running. I was finding myself conflicted and had started to convince myself that he was the best choice for the club. Now I can just go back to hating the cauliflower

Me too Cranium .... me too

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:18 pm 
Rod Ashman

I am so used to Carlton coaches failing and being replaced that I feel completely unmoved by any announcement of a new coach and will not be smiling at the no-doubt positive spin promoted in the off-season about anything Carlton, until we beat Richmond in round 1. I will be there hoping

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:58 pm 
John Nicholls

Not sure what y'all are on about. I never wanted the cauliflower and wouldn't have renewed my membership had he got the gig.

There was never a "oh well maybe.....". Nup, the guy's a sniping @#$%&! knuckle and should get fined for driving down Royal parade.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:02 pm 
Serge Silvagni

robertbb wrote:
Not sure what y'all are on about. I never wanted the cauliflower and wouldn't have renewed my membership had he got the gig.

There was never a "oh well maybe.....". Nup, the guy's a sniping @#$%&! knuckle and should get fined for driving down Royal parade.

Many are with you mate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:09 pm 
Horrie Clover

carntheblues wrote:
I am so used to Carlton coaches failing and being replaced that I feel completely unmoved by any announcement of a new coach and will not be smiling at the no-doubt positive spin promoted in the off-season about anything Carlton, until we beat Richmond in round 1. I will be there hoping

Yep its like the rocky and bull winkle show.

Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat, this time for sure....

Only for it to eventually lead to a series of shit performances and the next coach "inherited a mess".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

I’m with you guys. Relief as I think he’s past his best. Don’t buy into the last 4 or so games.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:00 am 
Craig Bradley

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-ne ... 3Q4TK8Pjto

Post subject: Alastair Clarkson
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:27 am 
Wayne Johnston

SurreyBlue wrote:
I’m with you guys. Relief as I think he’s past his best. Don’t buy into the last 4 or so games.

Likely just a dead cat bounce at the end there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:41 am 
Rod Ashman

thryleon wrote:
I've been of the opinion Clarkson to gws is the AFL's want.

Cameron has coached well based on what he had to work with, but he's been bleeding talent for years, has had 8 years with that mob, missed finals last year, and they need a long term messiah type to make that franchise work.

The AFL will definitely engineer it so that Clarkson gets to either GWS or Gold Coast.

The wants of a Victorian club are rather trivial in comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:49 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

tap in 79 wrote:
thryleon wrote:

Cameron has coached well based on what he had to work with, but he's been bleeding talent for years, has had 8 years with that mob, missed finals last year, and they need a long term messiah type to make that franchise work.

The AFL will definitely engineer it so that Clarkson gets to either GWS or Gold Coast.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:01 am 
Geoff Southby

jezzarules wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
thryleon wrote:

Well, we had better talk to Rowell and or Anderson this trade period then.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
jezzarules wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
thryleon wrote:

Well, we had better talk to Rowell and or Anderson this trade period then.

Absolutely

That sort of interference shows how corrupt The AFL Commission is...the Agenda based Commission trying to cover up its wastefulness and failures with the GCS and GWS failures: Demetriou's gamble.

Once a Gambler, always a Gambler.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:55 am 
Bruce Comben

jezzarules wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
thryleon wrote:

Alistair Clarkson was very close to signing with Carlton, according to sources. Jeff Kennett stepped in & demanded Carlton pay out full value of contract (up to $1.4 million). AFL intervened & agreed with Kennett. Believed there’s an AFL-led push for Clarko to Gold Coast in 2023.
10:36 AM · Aug 26, 2021

If the above was true, what would be stopping Clarkson from declaring his preference and together with the Blues calling the AFL on restraint of trade - esp if if Sayers is a corporate big-wig....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

azzurro wrote:
jezzarules wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
thryleon wrote:

Alistair Clarkson was very close to signing with Carlton, according to sources. Jeff Kennett stepped in & demanded Carlton pay out full value of contract (up to $1.4 million). AFL intervened & agreed with Kennett. Believed there’s an AFL-led push for Clarko to Gold Coast in 2023.
10:36 AM · Aug 26, 2021

If the above was true, what would be stopping Clarkson from declaring his preference and together with the Blues calling the AFL on restraint of trade - esp if if Sayers is a corporate big-wig....

Yessss! I am extremely doubtful of this one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next