Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Sky is falling
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

TomAlvin'sWig wrote:
Roy wrote:
To me it reeks of people at the Carlton Football Club becoming satisfied with what they have achieved.

Ratten - New contract and won a final. Now with the security of a 2 year contract Ratten has become comfortable in his surroundings and it has shown with his coaching this year. ( Port Adelaide and the 2nd half against Brisbane come to mind)

Judd - Has been ordinary since the birth of his child. Judd now has new priorities in his life and it is showing in his football. Judd's best is well and truly behind him.

Murphy - With the security of a 3 year contract Murphy has not looked as fit or as sharp as this time last year. Expect to see a drop off in his performance based on what he has produced so far.

youre joking, right?

If only.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

club29 wrote:
King Kenny wrote:
So look at the fourth quarter again in isolation. We stepped it up to a good standard, we went with our guns in the middle the first time all pre-season, we chased and harassed, we won the quarter and should've won by more. That's what you'll see Round 1!

Exactly.

I seriously don't want to be going all negative on everything today, but it's not really that simple.

We substituted three, north substituted no one.

It would be reasonable to suggest that the freshness of our players had a lot to do with the last quarter. Not saying we didn't lift, but it was hardly apples apples in the last.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Punter22 wrote:
club29 wrote:
King Kenny wrote:
So look at the fourth quarter again in isolation. We stepped it up to a good standard, we went with our guns in the middle the first time all pre-season, we chased and harassed, we won the quarter and should've won by more. That's what you'll see Round 1!

Exactly.

I seriously don't want to be going all negative on everything today, but it's not really that simple.

It would be reasonable to suggest that the freshness of our players had a lot to do with the last quarter. Not saying we didn't lift, but it was hardly apples apples in the last.

True.
Murphy and Judd spent plenty of time on ball in the first 3 quarters. They were comprehensively beaten and no excuses should be made.
I'm not saying it will happen next week or the week after but they had plenty of opportunities before 3/4 time to step up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 pm 
Harry Vallence

Punter22 wrote:

It probably had more to do with us falling away so badly in the 3rd. Robbo, Brock and Thornton off for AJ, Lucas and Watson.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:51 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Did notice the kick to handball ratio was out of kilter! Is Rats trying a different strategy for these games maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:26 am 
formerly BlueRob

I think the sky will fall in on the 29th.

Our midfield is struggling ... could not even beat North's.
Our back line is fragile ... 9 (or 7) goal streak against us highlights this.
Our forward line looked 1 dimensional ... Waite the exception.
Major injury worries ... gunna really miss Jamo, Laidler and Walker.
We looked slow and under done against North on a small ground ... yikes.
Richmond on the other hand is looking the complete opposite.

It will be an excellent performance if we can win this one. If we met the tigers in round 5 we would probably beat them.

So yes ... the Sky will probably fall.

I will be there ... hoping that all this is just a trick ... a sleight of hand ... a clever deception.

Come on Blues ... DO SOMETHING!

Post subject: The Sky is falling
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I just can't see us losing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

You can't take too much notice of practice match form. We will belt the Tiges, they were crap last year and I can't see any reason to expect them to be better this year. We'll have a better idea of where we stand after round three.

What did worry about the North match was that there were characteristics to be seen which are all too familiar.

We were unable to contain a gun forward. We had a period where our game fell apart and the opposition dominated, as also happened against West Coast in the finals. Our kicking skills (field and goal) let us down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

dane wrote:

Dane MNBF (My new best friend) im with you.... i cant see us losing!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:28 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Synbad wrote:
dane wrote:

OMG!
BFFs foreva?!?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:06 am 
Bruce Doull

dane wrote:
Synbad wrote:
dane wrote:

OMG!
BFFs foreva?!?

Depends how much i like life on this side.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 am 
Wayne Johnston

BigBlueWave wrote:
I think the sky will fall in on the 29th.

Our midfield is struggling ... could not even beat North's. Judd and Murphy didnt get out of second gear.
Our back line is fragile ... 9 (or 7) goal streak against us highlights this. Most of those goals came from slick rebound footy that any backline would have struggled against. Midfield not in gear gave them a free run at it.Our forward line looked 1 dimensional ... Waite the exception.
Major injury worries ... gunna really miss Jamo, Laidler and Walker. Yep
We looked slow and under done against North on a small ground ... yikes. Our team fitness was nowhere near peak. That will come in a couple of weeks. Our training isnt designed to have them ready for the NAB.
Richmond on the other hand is looking the complete opposite. Peaked and will now fade.

It will be an excellent performance if we can win this one. If we met the tigers in round 5 we would probably beat them.

So yes ... the Sky will probably fall.

I will be there ... hoping that all this is just a trick ... a sleight of hand ... a clever deception.

Come on Blues ... DO SOMETHING!

I do agree we will have to play well to win.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AFL analyst David King has query on Carlton

Quote:
"Carlton games historically have been high-energy, high-speed football. If they are to have success, they need to change.

"They can still win the flag, but right now my criticism of them is with talent out, they are still trying to win it on talent."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

Effes wrote:

Quote:
"Carlton games historically have been high-energy, high-speed football. If they are to have success, they need to change.

"They can still win the flag, but right now my criticism of them is with talent out, they are still trying to win it on talent."

Do you actually rate his opinion ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

redback wrote:
Effes wrote:

Quote:

Do you actually rate his opinion ?

He says we have been exposed through the corridor. I would think anyone who has seen a few of our pre season games would agree.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

Effes wrote:

Quote:

He speaks of us not being defensive enough. Based on what? A couple of scratch matches?
In 2011 we were 5th for points against. 4th for percentage. And I don't have the stats on me but I believe we were league leaders in a number of defensive stats such as forward 50 tackles, pressure acts etc. And we are in exactly the same place now until the season starts. We do get caught on the rebound too often, I'll give him that. I suppose this is from pressing too high, or lack of workrate to push back once the press is penetrated.

But our main issue is our ball movement when our run gets shut down and our forward 50 entries. Thats when we go into our shell. We lack that key forward presence up forward. Hopefully a full season from waite and one other forward stepping up to at least be servicable, whether it be hammer, rowe, or someone else will straighten us up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

Also this is all based on 2011 form as there is no 2012 form to go by yet.
I just don't understand why people are judging teams and where they're at based on a few practice matches, while seemingly completely disregarding our 2011 season, thrashing of Essendon* in a final and narrow loss WC at subi.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:37 pm 
Ken Hunter

Pppfffttt...he's no thelistmanager

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:29 pm 
Rod Ashman

King is trying mind games wanting us to go defensive.
That's the only way they can stay in touch.
If we attack, play our game and have forward focal points they have no chance.
Our defence will still be up to scratch and the midfield will rise for the real season.
Back to business. :thumbs up:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

My humble reply:
Ratten - an equal and opposite can be mounted that with some tenure he has clear air to get on with it. He is one of the more experienced coaches now and is building impressive IP and continually renewing his support staff. As for his hunger I cannot for the life of me see anywhere where that is lacking.

Judd - if he's tired it's because he has carried this club until now, until the no. one's can take over, which is now. He has done his job in spades, symbolized hope, kept up the arrogance, and pride in the jumper. He should be allowed to slot in to the team, do his share in the middle and get some easy stats and goals in the forward line.

Murphy - B&F, AFLCA 2011. In his prime. Cant be questioned.

None of us went to Abu Dabi but it has still been a long pre-season for us all. Maybe we need that worry room back, but I see on paper a bloody good side that can't wait to make its mark. Go blues!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next