Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:01 am 
John James

Blue Vain wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:
Macca's been working at the AFL for the past 7 years, and has always been the consumate professional both during and after his playing days. I have no reason to doubt that he'll do a good job.
And for those worrying about a 'jobs for the boys' mentality at Carlton, wasnt Peter Dean overlooked for the Bullants job in favour of Robert Hyde ? Or was that just something that was conveniantly overlooked in the negative ramblings....

Perhaps....but how did PD get an interview? I'm looking to see where the position was advertised and it hasn't shown up yet. Was it actually advertised? Many coaching roles are advertised on AFLVICs website but I haven't seen anything of this one.
You dont know what will fall out of the tree if you dont shake it.
Lets hope the best people are being sourced instead of the best of a couple of candidates.

What was Dick Pratts theory? Dont go for the best available, go for the best. Chances are, if they are available, then they probably aren't the best. Peter Dean, was an obvious candidate for the Bullants job, but to me, the hiring of Hyde, particularly given the demographic of the group at his disposal (in particular their age), then he seems to me to be an awesome appt.

Re Macca's appt, surely it is hard to see any negatives given his work within the AFL over the past 7 years. I think it was mentioned in an earlier post, if you have a couple of candidates with the same attributes, and one of them just happens to have a deep passion for the Carlton Footy Club, then I would hire that person every day of the week over the other candidates.

Go Blues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:24 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Why would Peter Dean be an obvious candidate? :?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:19 am 
Bruce Doull

Blue Vain wrote:

Because he's mates with Kernahan and Ratten obviously :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:25 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:

He's got pretty good credentials, certainly qualified but it's just good that we got someone even more qualified.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If you believe my local rag, Peter Dean, Rohan Welsh, Adrian Hickmont and Hyde were all interviewed for the job.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

woof wrote:
If you believe my local rag, Peter Dean, Rohan Welsh, Adrian Hickmont and Hyde were all interviewed for the job.

Some great players amongst that lot (Hicky was probably my favourite player at the time) but a lacklustre group of interviewees.
There are some quality young blokes coming up through the system at the moment. A bit of an opportunity lost IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:00 pm 
John James

Blue Vain wrote:

Why would he not be? I didn't say he was an obvious choice to get the job, but as a candidate, why not given he has been in the AFL system for several years?

Sorry I forgot that no-one that has ever spoken to Ratts or Sticks should ever be considered because of the jobs for the boys scenario....something tells me that Swanny would be involved in the process of all senior appointments, and I cant remember him ever pulling on the navy blue jumper????

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:01 pm 
John James

Blue Vain wrote:

Why would he not be? I didn't say he was an obvious choice to get the job, but as a candidate, why not given he has been in the AFL system for several years?

Sorry I forgot that no-one that has ever spoken to Ratts or Sticks should ever be considered because of the jobs for the boys scenario....something tells me that Swanny would be involved in the process of all senior appointments, and I cant remember him ever pulling on the navy blue jumper???? :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

There's no need to be dramatic and drag the discussion off course BlueDW.
Where have i stated that it's a 'jobs for the boys" scenario? I'm honestly asking what qualifies Peter Dean to be a strong VFL/development coach.

From memory he had a short stint at the Bushies and went to the Bulldogs where the feedback I heard was less than complimentary. Unless I'm mistaken he was moved on and is out of a job. It doesn't make him an obvious candidate to me.
As I stated there are plenty of up and coming coaches in the AFLVIC/TAC system. I would hope some of them were offered the opportunity to apply.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:01 am 
John James

Blue Vain wrote:
There's no need to be dramatic and drag the discussion off course BlueDW.
Where have i stated that it's a 'jobs for the boys" scenario? I'm honestly asking what qualifies Peter Dean to be a strong VFL/development coach.

From memory he had a short stint at the Bushies and went to the Bulldogs where the feedback I heard was less than complimentary. Unless I'm mistaken he was moved on and is out of a job. It doesn't make him an obvious candidate to me.
As I stated there are plenty of up and coming coaches in the AFLVIC/TAC system. I would hope some of them were offered the opportunity to apply.

The "jobs for the boys" jibe was aimed at the thread in general, more so than yourself exclusively BV. The point is, does anyone really know who applied, or who was interviewed. As there is obvious bountiful recruitment experience on the board, and I believe enough professionalism in the executive of the club, to guarantee that the correct process/procedure was followed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

Dirko wrote:
Was just on radio over here, and he sounded mighty impressive.

Will post a link for the a listen when AA put one up.

http://www.fiveaa.com.au/audio_andrew-m ... lub_103360

BOOM. :P

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:08 pm 
Geoff Southby

Macca is one of those infuriating types who are good at whatever they take on.Makes us mere mortals look so pedestrian.Good choice i reckon.Jobs for the boys,who cares,so long as he does a good job.As far as ending in tears,well eventually it probably will.Thats how it go's in footy clubs sooner or later.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:52 pm 
Rod Ashman

Frighteningly competent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:22 pm 
Robert Walls

I'll be interested to see how Andy operates when the turds really start to hit the fan.

Will he stick up for Ratts until the end?
Will he rock the boat if he thinks it's necessary?
Will he be able to stand up to Sticks & Swann if they overrule him?
How will he resolve the Ratts/Cordy situation ?

Massive job.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

If he administrates and leads like the way he played, we will be fine. Otherwise, part of the boys club.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:31 pm 
Robert Walls

So it's been two years now ......

How do you think Mr Mckay is faring ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

Bluey44 wrote:

We drafted much better last year than previous years. Managed to cut Judd's pay a bit and made the right tough choice on Betts.

So far we've done well this trade period and look like we'll add Docherty for a second rounder and sell Hampson for the same pick.

Definitely a pass mark in my books. Now for the tidal wave of TC negativity.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:13 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

zeecfc wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:

We drafted much better last year than previous years. Managed to cut Judd's pay a bit and made the right tough choice on Betts.

So far we've done well this trade period and look like we'll add Docherty for a second rounder and sell Hampson for the same pick.

Definitely a pass mark in my books. Now for the tidal wave of TC negativity.

From a contract management point of view - it's a fail. That's not his forte and it shows. Having a committee of 4 make up a List Management team isn't ideal. Shane Rogers recruits the kids into the club - so there's a level of attachment there. Swann clearly has no list management nous - his signing of Waite for 3 years was abysmal.

There was no 'tough choice' on Betts. There would have been a tougher choice had we had the money to pay him what he wanted.

We need a list manager.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

DocSherrin wrote:

We need a list manager.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next