Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I've been up since 4am...don't you start!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:41 pm 
formerly cj69

doofdoof wrote:
ThePsychologist wrote:
Don't agree. If you can't make an assessment on someone after 2 years then something is seriously wrong.

hard to make an assessment when i have no idea what his KPIs are.

you blamed him for our contract situation and even mentioned recruiting. i am saying you cant lump all of that on him when he isn't responsible for many of the decisions that were made in the past. (ie 2 years + ago)

I come from a different perspective. McKay is "General Manager of Football Operations", he is the boss and as such is responsible for the whole football department. It is his responsibility.

As for 2 years I don't understand how you see that as being not long enough to assess someone, IMO it easily enough time. How long do you think is enough?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

ThePsychologist wrote:
doofdoof wrote:
ThePsychologist wrote:
Don't agree. If you can't make an assessment on someone after 2 years then something is seriously wrong.

hard to make an assessment when i have no idea what his KPIs are.

you blamed him for our contract situation and even mentioned recruiting. i am saying you cant lump all of that on him when he isn't responsible for many of the decisions that were made in the past. (ie 2 years + ago)

I come from a different perspective. McKay is "General Manager of Football Operations", he is the boss and as such is responsible for the whole football department. It is his responsibility.

As for 2 years I don't understand how you see that as being not long enough to assess someone, IMO it easily enough time. How long do you think is enough?

much of what he inherited (with contracts) may of been agreed to 2+ years ago. you implied it was all mckay's doing...
i never said 2 years wasnt enough to assess someone but sometimes things need context.
which contracts has he butchered in his time?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:02 pm 
Bob Chitty

ThePsychologist wrote:
trublu wrote:
ThePsychologist wrote:
If nothing else happens this week and we don't get Docherty questions really need to be asked of McKay.

I hear that we had 'planned' to have many more picks inside 40

Mick wanted to make changes to out list. It's his suggestion that 80% of the changes come via the draft and not necessarily trade.

The question is do you blame those doing the wheeling and dealing or the recruiting peoples who have selected players that no other clubs want?

Both. How Hughes is still at the club is beyond me and I have serious doubts about the McKay selection. Once again no due diligence or process in getting someone with NO experience in the role. We have recruited some very average players and put them on some nice contracts. As such our hands are tied.

Whoever has made the decision to keep Hughes should be sacked immediately. A club standing still is all we are just now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:02 pm 
Bob Chitty

ThePsychologist wrote:
trublu wrote:
ThePsychologist wrote:
If nothing else happens this week and we don't get Docherty questions really need to be asked of McKay.

I hear that we had 'planned' to have many more picks inside 40

Mick wanted to make changes to out list. It's his suggestion that 80% of the changes come via the draft and not necessarily trade.

The question is do you blame those doing the wheeling and dealing or the recruiting peoples who have selected players that no other clubs want?

Both. How Hughes is still at the club is beyond me and I have serious doubts about the McKay selection. Once again no due diligence or process in getting someone with NO experience in the role. We have recruited some very average players and put them on some nice contracts. As such our hands are tied.

Whoever has made the decision to keep Hughes should be sacked immediately. A club standing still is all we are just now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:56 am 
Vale 1953-2020

DocSherrin wrote:
I've been up since 4am...don't you start!

Do you mean "DO you start"?

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:09 pm 
Robert Walls

DocSherrin wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:
Maybe these guys ?

Recruiting based on sabermetrics could work in Australian Rules Football - but not in the same way as baseball. Nearly every event in baseball can be categorized and quantified: walk or strikeout, homerun or flyout, ball or strike. Aussie Rules lacks baseball’s clarity: Did Dennis Armfield execute a good shepherd, or not? When to kick - when to handball. How do you measure that when it's not black and white?

The only way to do it from a coaching point of view is separate the field into three and execute more set-plays from the stoppages. If you viewed each stoppage as a 'down' in American Football parlance, and had set plays called by a midfielder at that stoppage - then you could possibly justify using a data-driven approach to game plans and therefore - enhance your list management based on that. I'm a firm believer that Geelong has been doing that for a few years. Their 'outer circle' at the stoppage changes depending on where they are on the ground - but in essence, all their midfielders have a defined zone and role at the stoppage. Carlton is very ad-hoc depending on the opponent. But anyone who looked at stats from the AFL in 2013 saw that many of the traditional Champion Data stats went out the window.

Our traditional stats look like this:

Disposals: 341.5 (16th)
Contested possession differential: +8.2 (3rd)
Tackles: 64.0 (9th)
Clearance differential: +3.6 (3rd)
Inside-50 differential: +2.0 (10th)
Scoring % inside 50: 51.9% (5th)
Av points for: 96.6 (8th)
Av points against: 90.5 (9th)
Av winning margin: 30
Av losing margin: 18

AS for uncontested possession - only Simpson, Scotland and Walker made the top 50. Gibbs the only other to finish inside the top 100.

Better stats to look at and consider with regard to recruitment of midfielders are metres gained per match and retained possession from disposal. There are a few kids not considered draft worthy until the second round of this draft who fare very well in the aforementioned areas. But because they're south of 180cm and the current vogue is big-bodied mids, they slip down the order rather than go up.

By traditional stats I'm guessing you mean 2013? - it would be informative to have year to year comparisons (ie ratten's tenure v micks) - I'd imagine that they will be quite different in some areas. Imo, the huge change in gamestyle would take a while to implement properly (ie more than 1 yr)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

DocSherrin wrote:

Better stats to look at and consider with regard to recruitment of midfielders are metres gained per match and retained possession from disposal. There are a few kids not considered draft worthy until the second round of this draft who fare very well in the aforementioned areas. But because they're south of 180cm and the current vogue is big-bodied mids, they slip down the order rather than go up.

I reckon you are onto something here DocSherrin. The " metres" gained is an interesting stat. If you can get e ball closer to goal, you have to score. I'd also extrapolate it by giving extra metres for the metres gained by who you gave the ball to. Perhaps that can identify those with good decision making ability.

It would be an interesting exercise to at least explore different measurements.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:51 am 
Robert Walls

So how do you think McKay is handling the footy department through all this?

IMO he has been flying under the radar BIG TIME throughout this crisis.

People are putting the blowtorch on Malthouse, Sticks, Swann, etc

But if anyone I think McKay has the least credits in the bank at the moment.

Do you think we need a separate list manager?
Or a new head of footy ops?
Or BOTH ?

I'm of the opinion that Andy shouldn't continue in his current capacity / job description.
At minimum some sort of separate list manager role should be created.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

Running out of heads for TC to kick Bluey? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Is it just me, or did things start to go awry when Steve Icke left?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:19 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

they really shouldn't lead with their chins though eh... ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:39 pm 
Robert Walls

Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

Most of the issues that people are complaining about at the moment all seem to be related to the footy department.
I don't see people threatening to tear up their memberships because they don't like our facilities, or they worry we don't have enough sponsorship, or our family days aren't top notch.

So if the issues are footy related, then in my opinion McKay should be copping the most heat.
Makes sense.

Hopefully the new President will take a good hard look at the way the footy department is structured and run,
because you can't put out a whole range of spot fires if you don't have the right firefighters in place.

What type of things are TC posters upset about -
Recruitment is sub par?
Game Plan isn't up to scratch?
Assistant coaches are underperforming?
Players aren't showing leadership?
Mick can't coach?

etc etc
Aren't they all footy department issues?
Hence McKay needs to sort them.

Is that unreasonable?

I think creating a separate List Manager role would be a start.
Then Andy's role and performance can be assessed from there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

mckay as another 95 premiership player needs to be immune from any scrutiny.

footy managers are not important .....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53 pm 
formerly cj69

Bluey44 wrote:

Or BOTH ?

I'm of the opinion that Andy shouldn't continue in his current capacity / job description.

Totally agree. I believe his role should be under more scrutiny than anyone else. I am happy if Swann stays but McKay needs to go.

What has happened with our List Management, Contracts, Recruiting has been a disgrace. Worst in the league.

Also, not the right person to be out in front of the media at this time. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Sounds like a backbencher.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 pm 
Robert Walls

the performance of the football team out on the field is sub-par

that responsibility rests with who?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:26 pm 
Robert Walls

ThePsychologist wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:

Or BOTH ?

Totally agree. I believe his role should be under more scrutiny than anyone else. I am happy if Swann stays but McKay needs to go.

What has happened with our List Management, Contracts, Recruiting has been a disgrace. Worst in the league.

Also, not the right person to be out in front of the media at this time. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Sounds like a backbencher.

Fair point.
If he isn't comfortable under the blowtorch, then it's probably better that he has minimal media appearances.

We're not privy to what goes on between him and Swanny, but Andy's honeymoon period in the role has worn off.

It seems he has a reputation as a high performer, but at the moment he doesn't seem to be on top of the tasks at hand.
If he needs help then the CEO and the board should help him to rejig the footy department and get it functioning well.

Sacking the coach again won't do anything if the footy dept is not functioning well as a whole.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 pm 
formerly cj69

Bluey44 wrote:
ThePsychologist wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:

Or BOTH ?

Fair point.
If he isn't comfortable under the blowtorch, then it's probably better that he has minimal media appearances.

We're not privy to what goes on between him and Swanny, but Andy's honeymoon period in the role has worn off.

It seems he has a reputation as a high performer, but at the moment he doesn't seem to be on top of the tasks at hand.
If he needs help then the CEO and the board should help him to rejig the footy department and get it functioning well.

Sacking the coach again won't do anything if the footy dept is not functioning well as a whole.

The appointment has to be questioned.

Why was he given the job. No List Management experience at all. He's a Vet that worked at the AFL.

When you are struggling and looking to rebuild you don't hire an inexperienced person to do it especially in such an important role.

We did the same with Ratten and his coaching staff. It makes no sense at all. We need experienced people with a history of SUCCESS not former 1995 Premiership mates.

If any of these peanuts were in the corporate world they would of been sacked long ago.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:56 pm 
Ken Hands

Got to go in my books. He very rarely tells the truth when giving updates and tows the political line all the time.

Where has all the smoke and mirrors got us? Nowhere.

How about honesty towards your fans at all time. If for any reason you can't give an honest account then state that clearly. Fans can at least know where they stand.

I challenge somebody to go back 6 months and critically assess all of Mackay's updates. They invarably end up being wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:05 pm 
formerly cj69

Blues21 wrote:
Got to go in my books. He very rarely tells the truth when giving updates and tows the political line all the time.

Where has all the smoke and mirrors got us? Nowhere.

This is actually a good point. Why the lies?

This is a Membership based football club. Not a political party.

Tell the truth, members will be happy, it will create a more positive and understanding atmosphere and will help us grow.

Do it. :thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next