Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:22 pm 
Serge Silvagni

One thing that crystallised for me last night was that, well, we are so far off the pace that is isn't funny. We're not going to be a genuine finals chance for years to come.

I was thinking - say we go the Synbad route and bottom out, get the picks, get the kids. Quality kids. Start building the list from the bottom up.

Now how long will we be doing this? Next year, certainly. Probably the year after that (2007). Maybe we'll be somewhere near being competitive the year after that, being very optimistic (2008).

By that stage Kouta will be gone. Lance as well, presumably. Barbaby French won't be around. And Campo might have a heart attack and die when he sees his new contract.

What i'm getting at is the fact that whilst having the youngest list in the competition, in a couple of years that is only going to be more noticeable, especially when there isn't the older players in the list to help guide the kids through.

Our leadership group will be:

Stevens - presumably captain
Thornton - vice-captain
Lappin - if he's still around
Fevola - is he leadership material at all?

Off the top of my head that is four. Look at st kilda. I could count at least ten.

Now what can we do to fix this?

It can't be helped I guess. We're in a rut, but we have to dig our way out of it. The hard way. And it is going to take a while.

We need genuine leadership at the club. That means, drafting kids that will be the face of the club for the next 10 years. Imagine having a Luke Ball and a Lenny Hayes for us. Players, and more importantly, personalities that you can build a list around. Hell, even the way that Cooney conducted himself in the post match interview was impressive.

That means that our early picks are crucial. We need kids of outstanding qualities as a person, not just football skills.

And I think that whilst we are at the bottom we need to exploit it. Use the pre-season draft as much as possible to get the best quality 25 and older players that you can get. Luke Power, i'm looking at you.

I think that we should look at the Geelong school of thought. Played the kids for years. Much maligned. Sam Newman on radio and tv gave them so much stick that it was embarrassing. People thought that their kids weren't up to it.

And look at them now. That list matured together and now they are playing a brand of football that is very impressive.

It's a long way back. That next premiership is going to be the best one of all.