Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: R13: Pros & Cons
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:28 am 
Rod Ashman

I must have missed Henderson's superb gather on the half volley after running off the square and dish off to a running teammate 15 seconds in...

People see things the way they want to; if idiotic Carlton supporters (and there were many at the game today) want to espouse Henderson's work ethic was appalling then thats their choice. Fact of the matter is delivery to him was poor, he was consistently double teamed, and he tried his guts out all day. I lost count how many times the ball was kicked on his head or simply bounced away from him after he lead up towards it.

In the 3rd he started to get a bit of value for his efforts, which was pleasing.

The unfortunate thing for Lachlan is he's become the Carlton whipping boy (a mantle previously held by J. Russell). Irrational, often simply moronic, supporters blame him for any and all ills in the team and how we play. He is an easy target because of his avenue and circumstances of arrival to the club and, because of this, is singled out. Someone said it best early in this thread: Carlton fans seem to want him to make a mistake, which is sickening.

Sure he had a slow start to the game, but when it was won he was in the thick of it.

"In fairness it did seem in the early days of the draft teams would just pick a name totally at random out of a hat. I'm pretty sure we picked James Cook at #2 one year. The mediocre forward, not the explorer" - Me, 12/9/2011

Carlton 2012: Lets remind them why they once feared the Dark.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:31 am 
Bruce Doull

seanpb wrote:
I must have missed Henderson's superb gather on the half volley after running off the square and dish off to a running teammate 15 seconds in...

People see things the way they want to; if idiotic Carlton supporters (and there were many at the game today) want to espouse Henderson's work ethic was appalling then thats their choice. Fact of the matter is delivery to him was poor, he was consistently double teamed, and he tried his guts out all day. I lost count how many times the ball was kicked on his head or simply bounced away from him after he lead up towards it.

In the 3rd he started to get a bit of value for his efforts, which was pleasing.

The unfortunate thing for Lachlan is he's become the Carlton whipping boy (a mantle previously held by J. Russell). Irrational, often simply moronic, supporters blame him for any and all ills in the team and how we play. He is an easy target because of his avenue and circumstances of arrival to the club and, because of this, is singled out. Someone said it best early in this thread: Carlton fans seem to want him to make a mistake, which is sickening.

Sure he had a slow start to the game, but when it was won he was in the thick of it.

i think thats the best thing you have ever written :thumbsup:

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:56 am 
Geoff Southby

The thing is he just looked so damn slow in the first half and could not impose himself on the game physically. He did get into the game later on which is good but I am still not convinced with Lachie. Needs to impose himself more in one on one contests and back himself to have a shot from 50 as he is actually a pretty good kick. When he improves his physical strength he has the potential to be anything.

Pros:

Kruezer is a champion. 2nd game back after a knee reco and you wouldnt even know it.
Murphy continues to grow in stature, Id put money on him for the Brownlow, not Judd
Yarran's run off half back and pin point disposal, all the morons writing him off after one season :screwy:
Crazy hard at it again, what a steal at pick 40
Hampson playing wonderful footy until his injury, hopefully its not serious
Gibbs had Goodes in his back pocket again
Scotland another solid game, what a bonus his season has been so far for us

Cons:

Hampson injury
Slow start and slow finish, though the latter doesnt bother me as much
Betts again struggling when the heat is on
Letting Adam Sooks dominate in junk time

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:56 am 
Rod McGregor

What a great win.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:32 am 
John Nicholls

Pros
Just got on line here in London to see another great win!
Will be in a much better state tomorrow to revel in the success!

Cons
Just got on line and jet lagged!
Too tired to read all the wonderful posts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:04 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Henderson copped Bronx cheers, and a pasting on here from me, because he didn’t work hard in the first half, simple as that. No excuses for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:31 am 
Horrie Clover

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Henderson copped Bronx cheers, and a pasting on here from me, because he didn’t work hard in the first half, simple as that. No excuses for it.

I'm sure Lachie came on here to read your considered opnions,he'll be much better for it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:40 am 
Ken Hunter

Hendo is the least of my worries right now. This is his 3rd senior game for the season, only his 2nd in a row, and his 1st against decent opposition.

Wojee wrote:
Pro:

Murphy
Gibbs
Kreuzer
Yarran

Con:

Hampson injury.
Taking the foot off in the last, although injuries hurt us.
The peanut sitting a couple of rows behind me who spent most of the game bagging Henderson.
The kid sitting behind me who cried out "Go Sydney" in her shrill little girl voice every 10 secs for the entire match. I wish I was exaggerating.

Special mention to Adam "Appeals for the free" Goodes just for being an unlikeable flower.

If I had to cough up a dollar for every time I said "@#$%&! off Adam Goodes!" I would have had a very empty wallet yesterday :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:05 am 
Trevor Keogh

Never been a fan of the bronx cheers..Its not something we do at Carlton, its more of an Essendon* thing...

Although Lachie was quiet yesterday, i thought he contributed well to our structure. His opponent Heath Grundy, who can rack possessions up, was also non-existant. Not sure what his stats were, but he was not influential. How many times did Grundy influence a contest, or crowd the space for Walker, Betts, Garlett, Kruezer etc... None that i can remember

I think people get too worked up with Supercoach/Dreamteam points on deciding whether a player was good or not. I had an arguement who bagged Lachie because he only scored 40-50 points.

Also, does anyone else know of any 21-22 yr old KPP that are currently doing more than Lachie?

Dont get me wrong, he wasnt very good yesterday, but he certainly didnt deserve to be given the bronx cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:06 am 
Robert Walls

Pros

We beat the Bloods - Courage.

Cons

The number of people who spell Greg Swann's name with one N - it's two NN's

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:14 am 
Bruce Doull

Navy Blue Horse wrote:

I think Henderson has massive potential and will play at least 100 games for us, but at present I don't see a spot for him. I'd like him to play 2nds footy for a while and build his confidence and knowledge.

We'll know when he's ready. For now we need an experienced forward line with Waite, Walks, Betts, Jeffy, Kreuz etc. I don't think we have another spot for a 6'4" forward. Likewise the defence is playing well and is settled.

Let's not @#$%&! around with a good formula.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:30 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

God.................... It's been a while since we've been in this position. Feels GREAT!

Pros:-

- Kreuzer. Just gold. Gotta love this kids endeavor!
- Murphy. Check back to my pre-game post where I said that this will be the game where Murphy overtakes Judd in both the B&F and Brownlow count. He is now in the elite category. Can't understand why people still put Dale Thomas ahead of Murphy though???? :banghead:
- Non-Reliance on Judd. A big reason as to why we are in the position we are in now! Team effort, no passengers!
- Crowds. 2 big weeks of a packed Etihad stadium. Great atmosphere.
- Yazz. Jesus it's great watching him burn that turf up.

Cons:-
- Shocking last qtr. Just piss weak. Should have had 2 x 10 goal wins in a row. Sure, I know Hampson went down leaving Kreuzer to do most of the ruck work with Hendo but bloody hell, our intensity that defies our game just evaporated!!!!

Can't think of too many other.

Top 4 spot in this comp is now 'Ours to loose'!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:34 am 
Stephen Kernahan

DOA wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:

I'm sure Lachie came on here to read your considered opnions,he'll be much better for it!

Did I say he would? Thought this was a forum, somewhere to post ones opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:50 am 
Rod Ashman

Its not a Hendo thread but if we compare Hendo to what Josh Kennedy has done think that 2011 Hendeson offers Carlton more than 2009 Kennedy offered the Eagles at the same stage in their careers. - so I cant wait to see 2012-2013 Henderson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:21 pm 
Horrie Clover

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
DOA wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:

Did I say he would? Thought this was a forum, somewhere to post ones opinion.

Just demonstrates how futile your efforts are , your criticisms have no chance in hell of reaching the intended recipient.
And sure, it is only a forum, if you are content in venting into cyber space, that is all that matters.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

DOA wrote:
Just demonstrates how futile your efforts are , your criticisms have no chance in hell of reaching the intended recipient.
And sure, it is only a forum, if you are content in venting into cyber space, that is all that matters.

If you can't handle criticism of players DOA (and let's face it, if I were in your position I probably wouldn't be able to), you're probably visiting the wrong website.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:59 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

NBH, I'm guessing your opinion is based on watching Lachie off the ball rather than on his output, was it anything in particular, not leading up the ground enough, working back, just getting to enough contests?

It looked like Tex was working up to the wings more than recent weeks which I thought was due to Henderson/Kreuzer still looking for match fitness so could it have been more role related than work rate?

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:13 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

TruBlueBrad wrote:
NBH, I'm guessing your opinion is based on watching Lachie off the ball rather than on his output, was it anything in particular, not leading up the ground enough, working back, just getting to enough contests?

It looked like Tex was working up to the wings more than recent weeks which I thought was due to Henderson/Kreuzer still looking for match fitness so could it have been more role related than work rate?

More often than not.....not leading up the ground when the kicker was say, 75 metres away. Just generally not presenting and giving the kicker an option.
Also seemed to be getting caught behind a lot when a quick kick came in, suggesting he just wasn't quite on his game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:28 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Pro: big Kruze BOG in his second game back :grin: :grin:

Con: me. for forgetting how good he is :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:33 pm 
Bruce Comben

good or bad, people can voice there opinions on how a player is going, this site would be very boring if we brown nosed every player, the bronx cheer is a joke, loosen up peeps.

pro
for mine: across the borad we have improved alot. intensity is high , i feel that the back 6 is the key and ours is starting to look pretty good.

murphy has arrived in a big way.
yazz is a delight to watch, love when he gets the pill, i want him to burn players off
krueze was great and best afield for mine
robinson, walker, scotland(what a year) jamo
the biggest plus is that i can see us improving and being better as the year goes on!!

con : none

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next