Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:03 pm 
formerly cj69

@abns

I agree about Russell. Looks a bit sore to me? If so give him a rest and bring in Houlihan. I also think Russell is struggling to find a role. With Touhy, Yarran, Duigan, Gibbs going back he has pushed up the field and isnt comfortable yet. Given time his size around the ball and his addition to the rotations could be a bonus.

I am not sure who is best, Hammer or Warnock but the one thing I do like is Hammers aggression. IMO Warnock needs to develop some presence about him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:26 pm 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
But one player I'm mildly concerned about is JR...he's been terrific for us over the last couple of years, and he's not having what I would call a 'shocker'... but he doesn't look right to me. If he's still carrying an injury, I think the time has come to rest him. If not, perhaps he could be used as Sub? Or even perhaps a spell in the VFL (especially if Lucas runs into some form with the Bullants)? Is he struggling with extra leadership responsibilities? Or is he just feeling the effects of a limited pre-season? Is he adapting to a slightly different role in the team? Or is he a victim of his own standards and I'm expecting too much from him? Anyway, I doubt he'll get dropped this week, I just think he's a good player that can (and we need him to) play better in the second half of the season.

Seems to have lost all of his speed and power from a standing start. You look at him when he receives the ball and it's like he's trying to run through water or something. Earlier in the season I just thought he had put too much weight on. Now I'm wondering if there is an injury there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:48 pm 
Harry Vallence

Robbo available, 93.75 point reprimand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

nck wrote:

:smile: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

nck wrote:

I take it that was for the incident on Black? Watched the replay and there was very little in it. Needs to curb his aggression a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

kezza wrote:
nck wrote:

I take it that was for the incident on Black? Watched the replay and there was very little in it. Needs to curb his aggression a bit.

Nope, Redden incident. Cleared from Black incident

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:06 pm 
Ken Hunter

nck wrote:
kezza wrote:
nck wrote:

Nope, Redden incident. Cleared from Black incident

You are kidding, there was even less in that incident. Chook lotto at its best. What is the bet that Selwood gets off scoff free.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

Take back to Selwood remark, offered 3 weeks with an early plea.

Last edited by kezza on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

I thought the Redden one was worse than Blacks

Selwood 3 weeks with early plea.

Quote:
EVIDENCE from Hawthorn’s Brent Guerra after an investigation on Monday has helped the match review panel charge Geelong star Joel Selwood with a level-five striking offence, which incurs a four-week sanction. Selwood can accept a three-week ban with an early plea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Maybe Russell is carrying an injury, but I reckon he looks fine.

I think it has been a luxury that we have been able to free him for roles further downfield.
He's tough and plays close. It looks like he's given a job just like Gibbs is.

Russell showed more dash from the backline last year, but as I said he seems to be given a different role further up the ground.

I really believe Ratts is now confident with where the team is at now, and it is time to start building in some flexibility and unpredicatability into the team in readiness for the Pies in the GF.

I always have liked the idea of throwing Russell's big body in the midfield group. I liked the way Ratts through Tex in there too. Flex our ability and flex our muscle and we will be difficult to match.

As far as Warnock-Hampson is concerned, may the best man win the 2nd spot. It's still a position which requires strength as well as height. Kreuzer will always be named before them even if he does play 2nd ruck. My best team has always had Warnock ahead of Hampson, but I have no doubt whatsoever that Hampson is faster, stronger and has a better leap than Warnock and doesn't get pushed aside as easily as Warnock does and for that is ahead of warnock atm imo. Did you see Warnock play against a smaller Claremont ruckman on Saturday? That's Claremont, not Collingwood! He looked tall, but was weak and seemed to be pushed aside too easy. It's up to Hampson to lose form and Warnock to bang the door down imo.

I'll leave that to the MC.

Great that Robbo is available for the Swans game. It's his type of battle. Then the week after the other finals contender and surprise of the year the WCE, is wher I'd like to see Robbo do his stuff. He's going to get rubbed out in the 2nd half season with almost 100 carry over points. I hope he doesn't go into the finals with those points so save it all for the Pies in 5 weeks Robbo.

So no change this week imo. Houla will just have to wait for someone needing a rest because I can't see the boys in the current 22 doing too much wrong and wont risk their spot in the team.

Go Blues. Lets tear 'em a new one. We owe these pricks from Sydney. Big Time. Bury them.

10 goal win....again

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

Jez1966 wrote:
I thought the Redden one was worse than Blacks

Selwood 3 weeks with early plea.

Quote:
EVIDENCE from Hawthorn’s Brent Guerra after an investigation on Monday has helped the match review panel charge Geelong star Joel Selwood with a level-five striking offence, which incurs a four-week sanction. Selwood can accept a three-week ban with an early plea.
[

And Juddy goes into $1.01 for the Brownlow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

I reckon ThePsychologist and nightcrawler's comments about JR are fair and interesting. There's certainly a few possible reasons why JR is a bit down (relative to the last 2 seasons). He's a very good player though, and Ratten is apparently a big fan, so I don't think he'll get dropped just yet. But I think if he doesn't improve in the coming weeks, and the likes of Hoops & Lucas get on a roll for the Bullants, JR's spot might really come under scrutiny soon...

It speaks to our improved depth that we are even discussing it... :cool:

Anyway, for this week - with Robbo available and assuming Jamo is OK, but that Waite & Laidler will miss again - I think there will be no changes (although I'd expect the MC to have a long discussion about Hammer vs Warnock...).

Either T-Bird or JR as the Sub.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
I reckon ThePsychologist and nightcrawler's comments about JR are fair and interesting. There's certainly a few possible reasons why JR is a bit down (relative to the last 2 seasons). He's a very good player though, and Ratten is apparently a big fan, so I don't think he'll get dropped just yet. But I think if he doesn't improve in the coming weeks, and the likes of Hoops & Lucas get on a roll for the Bullants, JR's spot might really come under scrutiny soon...

It speaks to our improved depth that we are even discussing it...
:cool:

Anyway, for this week - with Robbo available and assuming Jamo is OK, but that Waite & Laidler will miss again - I think there will be no changes (although I'd expect the MC to have a long discussion about Hammer vs Warnock...).

Either T-Bird or JR as the Sub.

Fair comment (highlighted).

I'd rather know he's carrying an injury which is hampering him rather than assuming he is. He may be playing to instruction, but I agree he doesn't "seem" to have the express pace from a standing start he had last year.

Nevertheless, the real question is whether Russell's current form warrants his spot in the 22. The pressure is on!!!

No doubt Houlihan is knocking on the door, and is next in line to come in for likely another mid sized player.

The big question I have is whether Russell is ahead of Curnow and Tuohy, because they would be the most obvious peripheral mid sized players in the 22. I have a feeling Tuohy is in for good, and I'm sure Houlihan will be given a go sooner than later if he maintains the form in the Ants week in week out. I can't fault the running game Curnow brings to the table.

You guys could be right that Russell's spot may not be as secure as I thought he imay be. And I love it!

Great discussion fellas. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:01 pm 
formerly cj69

The good thing about this is that players should ow be picked on form. Whether it's Russell, Thornton, Hampson or whoever that can only be a good thing and encourage better and more consistent performances.

What is also a positive is the discussion re our bottom 6. Not a weakness anymore!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:27 am 
Stephen Kernahan

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 1g0hi.html

Quote:
Key defender Michael Jamison is nursing a sore ankle and is in doubt for Sunday's clash.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:37 am 
Stephen Kernahan

aboynamedsue wrote:
Hopefully Robbo won't get rubbed out - he's become an important player for us - but I guess if he does, the upside is it gives someone like AJ, Armfield, Brock or Hoops an opportunity. And perhaps a 1-2 week break at this stage of the season wouldn't be the worst thing for Robbo anyway. It's a long season for a player of his type...

I think the ruck situation is getting interesting now that Kreuzer is back. We know that the 2nd game back from an extended lay-off is the most difficult. That makes it especially important that we make the right choice between Hammer or Warnock for the other ruck spot this week. Added to that, Mumford will be back for them and they are a very good stoppage team. Who is the best match-up for Mumford? I know Hammer took an excellent mark yesterday, and his form over the last 2 games has been OK, but Warnock is probably the better tap ruckman and a more skillful player. Then again, I love Hammer's energy and mobility. But how's Hammer's body after quite a heavy workload over the last couple of weeks? If Warnock's over his concussion, he might be fresher? With it being one of the few times ever that Kreuzer, Hammer & Warnock have all been available, I hope we take a 'horses for courses' approach. It'll be a tough call for the MC.

I don't think there will be any other changes - I've got a feeling that Waite & Laidler will need another week off, so Bower should keep his spot. As should Curnow, Ellard, Tuohy & T-Bird.

But one player I'm mildly concerned about is JR...he's been terrific for us over the last couple of years, and he's not having what I would call a 'shocker'... but he doesn't look right to me. If he's still carrying an injury, I think the time has come to rest him. If not, perhaps he could be used as Sub? Or even perhaps a spell in the VFL (especially if Lucas runs into some form with the Bullants)? Is he struggling with extra leadership responsibilities? Or is he just feeling the effects of a limited pre-season? Is he adapting to a slightly different role in the team? Or is he a victim of his own standards and I'm expecting too much from him? Anyway, I doubt he'll get dropped this week, I just think he's a good player that can (and we need him to) play better in the second half of the season.

:smoking:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:28 am 
Wayne Johnston

Against Bris we carried the extra tall defender to cover for Jamo's suspect ankle. We could afford to do it against the Bears. This week against Sydney we should swap that extra tall out with a running player to make sure we have the rotations to run out the game against tough opposition.

Bower out (if t bird isnt injured) and Armfield in.

Bower wont get fit playing sub again. Armfield can do the sub work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:55 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

+ 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:03 pm 
Robert Walls

Jamo out for a rest. Bower into his spot and Waite straight back in. Russell the sub.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:09 pm 
Craig Bradley

Gut feeling says no change.

In practice, team balance against opposition's team makeup says one less tall.

Gibbs takes Goodes, which leaves LRT, Dennis-Lane and Sam Reid. Duigan on Dennis-Lane, Jamo on LRT, and then Bower or Thornton on Reid.

So either one of Bower/Thornton makes way, or we rest Jamo. Will be interesting to see what they do with the resting ruck, assuming Mumford returns too. Be a very tall forward line all of a sudden.

I'm assuming Waite has another week off as per Richardson's comments. Maybe Houlihan in?

HAVE YOU SIGNED UP FOR TALKINGCARLTON SUPERCOACH 2009 YET?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next