Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:37 am 
Rod Ashman

So the the latest team l have is

Carlton Indigenous Team

B: Rod Waddell, Joey Anderson, Norm Le Brun

HB: Chris Yarran, Corey McGrath, Clinton Benjamin (reserves)

C: Sean Charles, Troy Bond, Ed Curnow

HF: Syd Jackson (c), Alan Thorpe (2 night games), Jeffery Garlett

F: Eddie Betts (vc), Andrew Walker, Ezra Bray (1 pre-season game)

R: Alf Egan, Justin Murphy, Mark Naley

I: Iggy Vallego (reserves), Corey Ah Chee (reserves), Willie Pepper (U/19's), Andrew Lovett (reserves)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:59 pm 
Bruce Comben

I'm afraid that Norm LeBrun does not belong in this team because he does not have an Indigenous Australian background.

His mother had a Cape Verdean / Jamaican heritage. His father's parents were from Jersey and Scotland.

Someone probably thought he looked a bit dark, took a guess and got it wrong. The internet version of Chinese whispers has done the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 am 
Horrie Clover

Ed Curnow is not of Aboriginal descent,source-his parents, I directly asked them!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

DOA wrote:
Ed Curnow is not of Aboriginal descent,source-his parents, I directly asked them!

Thanks for clearing that up DOA. I had heard that Ed had some Pacific Island heritage but was also confused by an article that appeared in the Adelaide Advertiser when he was at the Crows. The article was titled "Rookie on the run" and refers to Ed as an indigenous recruit. Obviously the journo did not do his homework.

And I can confirm that Iggy Vallejo is not of indigenous heritage. His dad is Spanish and his mum is of Portugese/Timorese background. (souce Iggy himself - he is married to the daughter of one of my mates.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

NTBlue wrote:
DOA wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up DOA. I had heard that Ed had some Pacific Island heritage but was also confused by an article that appeared in the Adelaide Advertiser when he was at the Crows. The article was titled "Rookie on the run" and refers to Ed as an indigenous recruit. Obviously the journo did not do his homework.

And I can confirm that Iggy Vallejo is not of indigenous heritage. His dad is Spanish and his mum is of Portugese/Timorese background. (souce Iggy himself - he is married to the daughter of one of my mates.)

Thanks guys, i will alter the team and references on BZM to match, next thing you will tell me is that Wikipedia cant be trusted :razz:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

Carlton Indigenous Team

C: Sean Charles, Troy Bond, Andrew Lovett (reserves)

I: Corey Ah Chee (reserves), Willie Pepper (U/19's),

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

Carlton Indigenous Team

B: Rod Waddell, Joey Anderson, Corey Ah Chee (reserves),

I: Willie Pepper (U/19's),

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:28 pm 
Trevor Keogh

What about Greg Williams?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

madblue21 wrote:
What about Greg Williams?

Williams olive complexion is due to his Spanish heritage I think on his dad's side of the family, I read that somewhere a few years back in an interview he gave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

Bomba Sheldon wrote:

Carlton Indigenous Team

Good stuff putting this together Bomba. Sorry about crossing Iggy off the list for you. He should be close to qualifying as his wife and kids have indigenous heritage via their maternal grandmother who has lived in Darwin for 40 years but hails from Broome originally.

Another person you might consider is a guy called Bob Jones. He played in the ruck for Buffaloes in Darwin and is the father of Liam (from Western Bulldogs). I don't know Bob personally but Darwin footy supporters believe that he played seconds footy at Carlton and he has mentioned it in radio interviews. I have searched Blueseum but no luck. Hope you do better than me.
NTBlue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:54 am 
Rod Ashman

NTBlue wrote:
Bomba Sheldon wrote:

Carlton Indigenous Team

Good stuff putting this together Bomba. Sorry about crossing Iggy off the list for you. He should be close to qualifying as his wife and kids have indigenous heritage via their maternal grandmother who has lived in Darwin for 40 years but hails from Broome originally.

Another person you might consider is a guy called Bob Jones. He played in the ruck for Buffaloes in Darwin and is the father of Liam (from Western Bulldogs). I don't know Bob personally but Darwin footy supporters believe that he played seconds footy at Carlton and he has mentioned it in radio interviews. I have searched Blueseum but no luck. Hope you do better than me.
NTBlue

No issue at all, if it isnt accurate its good to know to correct the error, appreciate the heads-up on that :thumbsup:

I will check with a fellow BZM colleague Willowblue, he is a reserach guru for the BZM site and works part-time with teh AFL with stats and has access to these sort of records

Do you have any more details on Bill Martin eg roughly when he played, DOB, recruited from, was he known as Robert etc, any extra details would help

I do the Lower Grade Players Section on BZM (see link below) and there are over 600 players listed who didnt play senior footy but played U/19's / Reserves footy with the Blues. So if i can get something from WB i will do a Bio on him and include in BZM plus add him to our "All-Star" List, would be good to have at least 20 players in the team :grin:

Thanks again

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php? ... de+Players

Last edited by Bomba Sheldon on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

Bomba Sheldon wrote:
NTBlue wrote:
Bomba Sheldon wrote:

Carlton Indigenous Team

NTBlue

No issue at all, if it isnt accurate its good to know to correct the error, appreciate the heads-up on that :thumbsup:

I will check with a fellow BZM colleague Willowblue, he is a reserach guru for the BZM site and works part-time with teh AFL with stats and has access to these sort of records

Do you have any more details on Bob Jones eg roughly when he played, DOB, recruited from, was he known as Robert etc, any extra details would help

I do the Lower Grade Players Section on BZM (see link below) and there are over 600 players listed who didnt play senior footy but played U/19's / Reserves footy with the Blues. So if i can get something from WB i will do a Bio on him and include in BZM plus add him to our "All-Star" List, would be good to have at least 20 players in the team :grin:

Thanks again

Sorry, I have led you astray on Bob Jones, Bomba. My informant was getting mixed up with Bill Martin (who has coached Darwin and Waratahs in the NTFL.) I suppose the mix up is understandable given the similarity in their names :roll: :roll: :roll: .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:43 pm 
Rod Ashman

NTBlue wrote:
Bomba Sheldon wrote:
NTBlue wrote:
Bomba Sheldon wrote:

Carlton Indigenous Team

NTBlue

Do you have any more details on Bob Jones eg roughly when he played, DOB, recruited from, was he known as Robert etc, any extra details would help

Thanks again

Sorry, I have led you astray on Bob Jones, Bomba. My informant was getting mixed up with Bill Martin (who has coached Darwin and Waratahs in the NTFL.) I suppose the mix up is understandable given the similarity in their names :roll: :roll: :roll: .

No worries, as you can see I have done on a Bio on Bill Martin http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Bill+Martin

If you want I can update his Bio if you can give me some details about him post the Blues

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

Not sure,but i think Bob Jones may have been with the Saints.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Bomba Sheldon wrote:

Carlton Indigenous Team

C: Sean Charles, Troy Bond, Ed Curnow

I: Iggy Vallego (reserves), Corey Ah Chee (reserves), Willie Pepper (U/19's), Andrew Lovett (reserves)

crikey some flaky types in there. Would hate to see them on an "off" day :yikes: But on a good day, that Fwd line would snag a few !!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

Mickstar wrote:
Not sure,but i think Bob Jones may have been with the Saints.

Thats the one, he was a ruckman come CHB - one day he gave a sticks a touch-up on a bog down at Moorabbin i think it was

NT Blue got Bob Jones mixed up with Bill Martin who played Blues U/19's & reserves, he made teh correction later on this - but me being as sharp as bowling ball also typed in Bob Jones again :donk:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

Carlton Indigenous Team

I: Willie Pepper (U/19's), Lionel Proctor (reserves)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:13 am 
Rod Ashman

I just read an article in the Footy Record last night indigenous VFL/AFL players who had served in the military and it had Cyril Mann listed as one such player. As a result I have updated this team, if anyone can provide any more players that may have been missed please advise;

Carlton Indigenous Team

B: Rod Waddell, Joey Anderson, Ezra Bray (1 pre-season game)

HF: Syd Jackson (c), Alan Thorpe (2 night games), Cyril Mann

F: Eddie Betts (vc), Andrew Walker, Jeffery Garlett

I: Willie Pepper (U/19's), Lionel Proctor (reserves), Corey Ah Chee (reserves)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 am 
www.blueseum.org

Bomba Sheldon wrote:
I just read an article in the Footy Record last night indigenous VFL/AFL players who had served in the military and it had Cyril Mann listed as one such player. As a result I have updated this team, if anyone can provide any more players that may have been missed please advise;

Carlton Indigenous Team

Thanks Bomba. The Cyril Mann bio is quite interesting reading - we at the Blueseum didn't pick up Tony's 2013 article until your work led to it!

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Cyril+Mann

From the Bluesuem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:26 pm 
Rod Ashman

The Blueseum wrote:
Bomba Sheldon wrote:

Carlton Indigenous Team

Thanks Bomba. The Cyril Mann bio is quite interesting reading - we at the Blueseum didn't pick up Tony's 2013 article until your work led to it!

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Cyril+Mann

From the Bluesuem

Glad to help out where I can BZM :thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next