Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:53 am 
formerly Virgin Blue

Jamison is gawn ! Knew what he was doing and knocked the young lad out cold. I reckon if you're gonna shephard hard these days, you have to try and bend down a bit to make sure you hit the body and nowhere near the head.

Lots of posters have said Gibbs was quiet etc. Well he has been quiet all pr-season. Yesterday he seemed to have been instructed to play outside the packs, on the defensive side - very negative tactic hence hardly got into the action. Suspect club are not wanting to show all their cards re midfield, and expect to see Gibbs and Brock in the thick of it come Round 1.

Thought Yarran BOG; Jamosion very good; Bower good apart from a couple of one on ones where he still gets thrown aside like a rag doll; ellard and Robbo good inside; Duigan good at HB; Lailder better as game wore on, not quick by any means but good hands in the air and lovely kick.

But for Blues to be top 4 Murphy and Gibbs need to gtake their games to new levels, they need to not just rack up touches and use ball efificiently, which they largely already do, but they need to be able to blitz teams, be able to burn away from contests. Look back to the WCE Premiership team, all 3 of Judd, Cousins, Kerr could motor away with blistering run, and break the lines and burn sides. Murphy and Gibbs need to really take the next step. Not criticisng them btw. But it's just about time for these two to take the AFL by storm.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:59 am 
Rod Ashman

sticksaftersiren87 wrote:
Contact within 5m and Jamo has no other choice (ie can't tackle as he does not have the ball). Arm tucked in, didn't leave his feet, does not seem excessive in the circumstances. Henderson is chasing and should expect contact. I reckon Jamo is half a chance to get off and at worst contact would be negligent.

I agree SAS87. If he does not make the shepard then the ball carrier (not sure which carlton player had the ball) gets caught.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sugarcane wrote:
Jamison is gawn ! Knew what he was doing and knocked the young lad out cold. I reckon if you're gonna shephard hard these days, you have to try and bend down a bit to make sure you hit the body and nowhere near the head.

Agreed, I think he's in trouble. There was nothing wrong with the shepherd technically, he did all the correct things. But the AFL has made it clear, you hit the head, you have a holiday. No amount of scientific justification will change this.

Quote:
Lots of posters have said Gibbs was quiet etc. Well he has been quiet all pr-season. Yesterday he seemed to have been instructed to play outside the packs, on the defensive side - very negative tactic hence hardly got into the action. Suspect club are not wanting to show all their cards re midfield, and expect to see Gibbs and Brock in the thick of it come Round 1.

But for Blues to be top 4 Murphy and Gibbs need to gtake their games to new levels, they need to not just rack up touches and use ball efificiently, which they largely already do, but they need to be able to blitz teams, be able to burn away from contests. Look back to the WCE Premiership team, all 3 of Judd, Cousins, Kerr could motor away with blistering run, and break the lines and burn sides. Murphy and Gibbs need to really take the next step. Not criticisng them btw. But it's just about time for these two to take the AFL by storm.

Agree on Murph and Gibbs, Gibbs in particular. The time has come for these guys to become Juddy's equals, not his apprentices. They've both in the system long enough now to reach that elite level, and not need Juddy there for 'protection' anymore. That Gibbs seems to be 'cruising' right now is disappointing, and that the coaching staff tolerate this is even more so.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:13 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Jez1966 wrote:
Contact within 5m and Jamo has no other choice (ie can't tackle as he does not have the ball). Arm tucked in, didn't leave his feet, does not seem excessive in the circumstances. Henderson is chasing and should expect contact. I reckon Jamo is half a chance to get off and at worst contact would be negligent.

I agree SAS87. If he does not make the shepard then the ball carrier (not sure which carlton player had the ball) gets caught.

I tend to agree. After reading the comments yesterday I was expecting to the footage to be very damning. To me, it's not the case. Whilst in the current climate he's likely to get a couple of weeks, I would certainly argue the case as per above. It's not without hope imho.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

Donstuie wrote:
Sugarcane wrote:

Agreed, I think he's in trouble. There was nothing wrong with the shepherd technically, he did all the correct things. But the AFL has made it clear, you hit the head, you have a holiday. No amount of scientific justification will change this.

He hit the guy in the chest, and bending down into the movement only exposes his head to contact. He didn't hit the head on initial contact, and Henderson's head then snapped into him after that initial blow. That's not head high contact in the sense of a reportable offence. It's an unfortunate accident. Next you'll think blokes who get a concussion on landing are automatically deserving of head high frees.

And also, the only level left is for Murphy to elevate himself to one of the best players in the comp (ie. top 10). He already shreds teams regularly.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

jimmae wrote:
Bomba Sheldon wrote:
Dont worry aout the arm being tucked in - thats what you worried about in the 70's and 80's when elbows were still flying around. If you want to hurt someone you hit them with your shoulder and the key to that is that makes the intial contact with the ball of the shoulder followed by the rest of the body. It like being punched in the face more or less. Its one of teh easiest ways to knock someone out or if you have the right technique break someones jaw.

Jamo's arm was the thing that struck Henderson (and not head high), nothing to do with the point of the shoulder.

Head high contact is head high contact - its not allowed regardless

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

Donstuie wrote:
Sugarcane wrote:

Quote:

Agree on Murph and Gibbs, Gibbs in particular. The time has come for these guys to become Juddy's equals, not his apprentices. They've both in the system long enough now to reach that elite level, and not need Juddy there for 'protection' anymore. That Gibbs seems to be 'cruising' right now is disappointing, and that the coaching staff tolerate this is even more so.

Last time I looked there were 22 games in a season and minimum 3 to win a GF which is 7 months away. Gibbs and Murphy don't need to go to hard to early in Feb and March. I don't care if they don't get out of 1st gear when there are other kids to play. Murphy got smashed several times in the 1st half of yesterdays game so I'm glad he was rested. Gibbs will get on with it when the season starts.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Murph has been good all preseason dont know why any one is even questioning him

Gibbs has spent 2 years playing off half back now he has been put in the middle

Not easy playing midfield and some players struggle reading the play having to go both ways you have to adjust from attacker to defender in asplit second

I still think Gibbs should become our general down back - he appears better reading the play going one way

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I've finally seen the footage, couldn't get it on firefox, I just now figured out to try IE.

I don't think you can definitely say Jamieson hit the head. To me it looks like he didn't. If there was any head contact, it would have been secondary.

I think he'll be let off.

I'll be pissed if he misses for that.

The guy got concussed, thats footy. It was a good solid fair bump. At the most maybe a tad late, but Jamo wasn't really to know that Yarran had kicked the ball. We can see that but he was looking at Henderson.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

I am not so fussed about how X is going or why Z hasn't played a trial game at the moment. I think the real issue is selecting only 22 players from a list where probably 30 or so are seriously laying claim to a start. How do you fit Curnow in when you have Ellard, McLean and Carazzo lining up? Same with Collins as a lead up forward. Or Kerr? In the backline where do you slot in Tuohy, or Davies or Austin?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

so you cant sheperd in footy anymore?

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:21 pm 
Bruce Doull

Quote:
INJURIES
Carlton: Nil

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:31 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

stubba wrote:
I am not so fussed about how X is going or why Z hasn't played a trial game at the moment. I think the real issue is selecting only 22 players from a list where probably 30 or so are seriously laying claim to a start. How do you fit Curnow in when you have Ellard, McLean and Carazzo lining up? Same with Collins as a lead up forward. Or Kerr? In the backline where do you slot in Tuohy, or Davies or Austin?

I can't believe you left Y out of that...... Don't you know anything about footy???

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

Just a few observations/comments from yesterday:

* The 3 players who brought a smile to my face yesterday were Yarran, Hammer & Duigan. Yarran looks a million bucks at the moment. His run out of defence and ball use was first class. Hammer carried the can in the ruck in the 2nd half after Warnock went off early in the 3rd term. I think Warnock might have suffered a minor injury and was kept off the ground for the rest of the 2nd half as a precaution (by the way, I thought Warnock was fairly dominant in the ruck in the 1st half - made one or two clangers with the ball, but he controlled the ruck contests well). We've been saying for a few years now that Hammer will be handful if/when the marks start sticking...well, he clunked a few beauties yesterday and his workrate was excellent. And Duigan....looked very determined to have an impact yesterday (obviously fighting for a spot in the Rd 1 team + I suspect he wanted to prove a point to the Crows...) and I think those that compare him to Andrew McKay are pretty close to the mark. Time will tell if he gets to the AA level that Macca did, be he certainly seems a similar type player to Macca. Pencil him in for Round 1 now. :thumbsup:

* Bower appeared to injury his shoulder (or perhaps elbow?) early in the last quarter. It didn't look good when he came off (he looked distressed and was holding his arm in his jumper like something was seriously wrong), but he made it back on the ground late in the quarter, much to my relief. If we'd lost both he and Jamo (unfortunately, I think Jamo will get at least a week because the AFL won't like the photo in today's paper of the Crows' player's eyes rolling into the back of his head :banghead: ), that would have been very bad for us...

* Although T-Bird did OK, I think we'll look a better side with Hendo at CHF (not to mention Kreuzer running around midfield/attack :cool: ).

* Tex looked to me like he was either carrying a minor niggle or was holding himself back a little bit.

* Newbies Curnow, Laidler and Collins all showed a bit. Curnow's kicking worries me though. Collins looks a bit like Hoops (but doesn't move as smoothly or appear as laconic). Laidler and Watson (who didn't play yesterday) are probably competing for the same spot and I'd say Laidler will get the first opportunity early in the season.

* Murph didn't reappear after half time, hopefully there's nothing more to that than he was given a rest. And I would feel reassured if someone can confirm that JR will be back next week... :?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

Video's extremely inconclusive also, point of contact is definitely not clear at all.

I'm feeling better after seeing the vision. Not confident (because its like a box of chocolates), but better.

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:41 pm 
Bruce Doull

I believe Murphy & Warnock were the ones subbed out, for Curnow & Davies respectively.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:46 pm 
formerly Virgin Blue

I am not saying they need to go hard pre-season. And I acknowledge Gibbs seems to be instructed to play away from contests.

Point is, aside from having an overall exceptional defensive mind set among the entire team, we won't be top four until gibbs and Murphy become absolute topline midfielders, destroying teams like Cousins, Judd, Kerr did, as an example.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

grrofunger wrote:

Agree there is more contact in Netball :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

grrofunger wrote:

If he gets weeks for that then that would appear to be the case. The AFL has done an excellent job at changing fans' opinions on what constitutes a fair bump going by the sentiments in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:19 pm 
Rod Ashman

We could always put Jammo in a Scum jumper with David Hilles number on it, he seems to know how to escape penalty when a bump is involved (from memory he has been sited 4 times for 0 weeks)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next