Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Ratten
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:49 am 
Robert Walls

Apparently Ratten is out of contract at the end of next year

Good thing is seems club aren't going to give him an extension right now

Given departure of Fev and Stevo, Blues did well to make finals and lose by just 1 kick to Freo and Swans, but in saying that we went from 13 wins in 2009 to 11 in 2010

Really, now that we have a fwdline developing (Hendo, Waite, maybe Kruez, and Yazz, Betts, Jeff), I think there's no excuses for Ratten in 2011

Hopefully that is the way the club are viewing it, by not extending his contract (at least not right now)

Post subject: Re: Ratten
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:54 am 
Robert Walls

Further to the above, do we worry talk of getting Tarrant is a sign Ratten is trying to put his interests ahead of the club?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:17 am 
Rod Ashman

How about we concentrate on getting a decent forward line coach after Carlton did the smart thing of not re-contracting Lappin!?
If we get decent coaches to support Ratten (and a tall, tough as nails backmen), then I don't see why we would have problems next year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:10 pm 
Robert Walls

Marissa wrote:
How about we concentrate on getting a decent forward line coach after Carlton did the smart thing of not re-contracting Lappin!?
If we get decent coaches to support Ratten (and a tall, tough as nails backmen), then I don't see why we would have problems next year.

I'm a little confused by this comment, and by the departure of Lappin.

Last summer, wasn't the concern whether we could kick goals?

Well we did that, 5th in scoring in AFL, so does the HC or FWD Coach get the kudos for that?

Lappin was also the one who insisted we play all 3 of Betts, Yazz and Garlett together, and it worked some of the time, definitely helped to develop the 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:20 pm 
Geoff Southby

The equation is simple. Apart from a key backman we have the players including the current rookies. And if not, some smart trades and recruiting should help out. And Wayne Hughes has come up trumps frequently in recent years. What we need are the coaches. If the club is going to take the next step it is who is appointed to fill the vacant assistant coaching roles to support Ratten which is crucial.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

Truth is we are deficient in all 3 areas of the ground. We need to improve our backline game plan, our midfield strategies and our forward strategies.
I think we improved in all three areas but there is a way to go.

Like the team, there were moments of high quality but the year was littered by inconsistency and dreadful play/skills. So, whilst I thought I'd be absolutely clear by now about Ratten, there are still questions about Ratten's ability re strategy, re communication/teaching and the team's ability re application, execution and consistency.

Does Ratten have the right startegies but needs to improve his communication?
Are his strategies and communication skills ok but the team needs to lift its application?
Is Ratten the right guy but the team do not have the all-round ability to execute?
Do we have the right players but Ratten is not the right guy?

Likewise, b/c of our inconsistency, it is difficult to say with certainty (although many on here purport to know for sure) whether or not Ratten is capable of taking us to a flag.

We need to win at least 13 matches, including 3-4 games in a row on at least one or two occasions.
We need to finish top 6 for sure and, depending on how other teams go, top 4.
We need to win at least one final.
We need to beat all the teams we should - esp those near us on the ladder.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:34 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Virgin Blue wrote:

Lappin was also the one who insisted we play all 3 of Betts, Yazz and Garlett together, and it worked some of the time, definitely helped to develop the 3

I would love to know our win-loss ratio with all 3 amigos in. I'm too lazy to do the research myself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:53 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The new assistant appointments will say a lot about how Ratts is rated by the club.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

Virgin Blue wrote:
Marissa wrote:

Well we did that, 5th in scoring in AFL, so does the HC or FWD Coach get the kudos for that?

Exactly, it worked some of the time (mainly at the beginning of the season). It's not just about the small forwards, who lacked space, the motivation and passion some of the time as well... especially Eddie.
I just do not understand how somebody as small as Lappin can be the forward line coach for guys such as Henderson, Waite and Hampson. He may have been good for the small forwards... some of the time, but it obviously did not work for the rest of the time ;-).
IMO, our problems in the forward line were not just about lack of goal kicking, but lack of motivation and passion, moving, leading, talking.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the whole coaching panel needs to get their arse into gear, I'm just saying the replacement of Lappin and Harvs will be crucial to helping and supporting Ratten.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:45 pm 
Geoff Southby

Virgin Blue wrote:
Blues did well to make finals and lose by just 1 kick to Freo and Swans, but in saying that we went from 13 wins in 2009 to 11 in 2010

Sydney and Freo finished 12th and 14th last year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:03 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

A thread about Ratten.

I wonder why no one else thought of this.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:12 pm 
Rod Ashman

Virgin Blue wrote:
Marissa wrote:

The critique of Lappin is typical forum claptrap from uninformed and short sighted posters that are always looking to point the finger at someone. Lappin took apart the defences of the Cats and the Saints this year with simple yet smart tactics. It'll be interesting to see if he gets a gig anywhere after Carlton.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:06 pm 
Robert Walls

buzzaaaah wrote:
Virgin Blue wrote:

I would love to know our win-loss ratio with all 3 amigos in. I'm too lazy to do the research myself.

And you will notice I didnt say they won often but it was good to develop them

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:08 pm 
Robert Walls

TheGame wrote:
Virgin Blue wrote:
Blues did well to make finals and lose by just 1 kick to Freo and Swans, but in saying that we went from 13 wins in 2009 to 11 in 2010

Sydney and Freo finished 12th and 14th last year.

And your point is?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:14 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

TruBlueBrad wrote:
A thread about Ratten.

I wonder why no one else thought of this.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Virgin Blue wrote:
Further to the above, do we worry talk of getting Tarrant is a sign Ratten is trying to put his interests ahead of the club?

Do people completely lack any deep thinking skills and perspective taking these days???

Put yourself in his shoes.....then parrot your last two posts....

The pressure is on him....don't extend his contract......send him the message he is on his last chance.....12 months to get it right...

then...

FFS Ratten is after Tarrant, is he insane?

:screwy: :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

do you get it???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

HELLAS BLUE wrote:
Virgin Blue wrote:
Marissa wrote:

The critique of Lappin is typical forum claptrap from uninformed and short sighted posters that are always looking to point the finger at someone. Lappin took apart the defences of the Cats and the Saints this year with simple yet smart tactics. It'll be interesting to see if he gets a gig anywhere after Carlton.

I'm not sure what you are reading but nobody is pointing the finger. Discussion, which was openly encouraged ;-)
You have just named two games where Lappin 'took apart the defenses' of the opposition. If you are happy with that, then I'd be careful about who you are calling short sighted.

I don't know about you, but I'm looking to our future and our forward line (not the only area of our side that needs it) needs a hell of a lot of work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:24 am 
Rod Ashman

One of the next assistants will be a coach in waiting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 am 
Harry Vallence

groan ..... not again

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:33 am 
Trevor Keogh

Rocco Iguana wrote:
groan ..... not again

...... still !! :cry:

This will go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and .......

Hang in there Ratts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next