Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Blues go for speed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:22 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Here's an article from today's Sun.

I hope I get this right....
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-goes-for-speed/story-e6frf9jf-1225952309269

Post subject: Re: Blues go for speed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-goes-for-speed/story-e6frf9jf-1225952309269

You got it right BS, and so have the MC.

Speed will rip the opposition apart.
Bettsy has proven to be a weapon in the centre square. Uncanny ability to get the ball.
Garlett goes allright on a wing. Remember his run from the backline as a linkman and nearly scoring a goal against one of the top 4 teams
Yazza has got good closing speed when pressuring the opposition's ball carrier...but don't know about him in the guts.
Add Murphy, Judd, Walker, Simpson and Lucas to that mix and we have plenty of genuine speed in our midfield. Truckloads of it.
I hope they can go hard the other way defending because that's the secret to midfield success and a weakness of ours for a long time now.

Gotta get the ball first though.
Bettsy can do that, so can Judd and Gibbs has a knack for it too.
If Kreuzer is ruck roving at times, he'll get the ball out to advantage with his huge frame and 2nd and 4rd efforts.

I wonder if McLean will lift and release the abovementioned as ball carriers and feed out the ball to the speed demons on the outside.
I hope we don't need him to lift and the natural maturity of our kids sees them passing McLean.
On the other hand, good luck to Brock; we could do with an in form Brock in the guts.

Geez, I just convinced myself again that we'll be in the mix for the Flag in 2011. :smoking:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:47 am 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
Geez, I just convinced myself again that we'll be in the mix for the Flag in 2011. :smoking:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

Bettsy has proven to be a weapon in the centre square. Uncanny ability to get the ball.
Garlett goes allright on a wing. Remember his run from the backline as a linkman and nearly scoring a goal against one of the top 4 teams
Yazza has got good closing speed when pressuring the opposition's ball carrier...but don't know about him in the guts.
Add Murphy, Judd, Walker, Simpson and Lucas to that mix and we have plenty of genuine speed in our midfield. Truckloads of it.
I hope they can go hard the other way defending because that's the secret to midfield success and a weakness of ours for a long time now.

If Kreuzer is ruck roving at times, he'll get the ball out to advantage with his huge frame and 2nd and 4rd efforts.

I wonder if McLean will lift and release the abovementioned as ball carriers and feed out the ball to the speed demons on the outside.
I hope we don't need him to lift and the natural maturity of our kids sees them passing McLean.
On the other hand, good luck to Brock; we could do with an in form Brock in the guts.

firstly...I believe in brock..hope he has a super year and sends the nay sayers packing. :smile:

secondly...why couldn't it be a carlton /collingwood gf in 2011?
we have as much chance as any other sucker team...
not saying we'd win...cos I'm pretty sure it'll be a c'wood double..but hey ..who cares.
It'll be ours in 2012. :thumbsup:
and....oh the fun of getting that close. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:04 am 
Serge Silvagni

Firstly for me - I'm constantly amused by the nongs that think they are contributing something by trying to write something of comedic value in the comments on the HS pages. Capital L for them.

Secondly - I hope this works out, i really do. I know there will be those who disagree but something about 'speed kills' comes to mind. I'm sure there is more to it than just running fast... I think.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:56 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluegirl72 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

firstly...I believe in brock..hope he has a super year and sends the nay sayers packing. :smile:

not saying we'd win...cos I'm pretty sure it'll be a c'wood double..but hey ..who cares.

Because Collingwood won't be in the GF next year...
Clubs won't let them play the way they played this year.
The forward crush (read: reverse flood) will be countered by possession and play close to the boundary...same way as it's done in a forward flood...except the loose man you're looking for won't be a forward, it will be a midfielder who will run forward almost on his own (read Betts, Garlett, Yazz)....thus (I'm guessing) Ratt's comments. If Collingwood "floods back" or opens up a bit, hold ball and get it to Krueser who is in the middle....but by then they are playing the way the other team wants

We did this a few time this year..worked well. Just weren't drilled enough to switch to doing it when required, and stop doing it when not!
Most other teams were'nt doing it at all...Collingwood (read Malthouse) must have been thinking all year..."sh!t I hope no-one works this out, sh!t I hope no-one works this out, sh!t I hope no-one works this out, "

By the time the 2nd Grand Final came along StKilda tried it (watch the first quarter, but couldn't hit the side of a barn when they did kick it forward....I'm betting Gibbs' accuracy will be better than Gwilt's though :wink:

We shall see

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:03 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Buzza4 wrote:
Firstly for me - I'm constantly amused by the nongs that think they are contributing something by trying to write something of comedic value in the comments on the HS pages. Capital L for them.

Yeah. I started reading them, but unfortunately, I speak English, so I couldn't make head or tail out of most of them.

(It reminded me of a Pros and Cons thread on TC when we've lost badly....... "waht a bunch of loosers omg ratt's must go we never one a game in are lifes lol")

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

billc3 wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

The forward crush (read: reverse flood)will be countered by possession and play close to the boundary...same way as it's done in a forward flood...except the loose man you're looking for won't be a forward, it will be a midfielder who will run forward almost on his own (read Betts, Garlett, Yazz)....thus (I'm guessing) Ratt's comments. If Collingwood "floods back" or opens up a bit, hold ball and get it to Krueser who is in the middle....but by then they are playing the way the other team wants

We did this a few time this year..worked well. Just weren't drilled enough to switch to doing it when required, and stop doing it when not!
Most other teams were'nt doing it at all...Collingwood (read Malthouse) must have been thinking all year..."sh!t I hope no-one works this out, sh!t I hope no-one works this out, sh!t I hope no-one works this out, "

By the time the 2nd Grand Final came along StKilda tried it (watch the first quarter, but couldn't hit the side of a barn when they did kick it forward....I'm betting Gibbs' accuracy will be better than Gwilt's though :wink:

We shall see

hmm..I like your comments.
They make sense.
'specially the bit where you say woodies won't make gf again.
but...
it's disappointing if the whole league will now have to play along the boundary line to counteract that stupid team..
and...also...
I think they will still make the gf unfortunately. :lol:
but there is always hope.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:12 pm 
formerly BlueRob

McLean does not need to lift ... just play as he did before getting injured. I love it when a Myth gets propagated.

:smoking: :smoking:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BILLC3
Quote:
The forward crush (read: reverse flood) will be countered by possession and play close to the boundary...same way as it's done in a forward flood...except the loose man you're looking for won't be a forward, it will be a midfielder who will run forward almost on his own (read Betts, Garlett, Yazz)....thus (I'm guessing) Ratt's comments. If Collingwood "floods back" or opens up a bit, hold ball and get it to Krueser who is in the middle....but by then they are playing the way the other team wants

We shall see
I'm with BillC3.
History says so too.
There's always a but though.

But: the status quo is:

(a) Colligwood is the best
(b) Teams rarely win 2 flags in a row

I'm still with BILLc3.

Carlton are as much chance as Collingwood for the flag in 2011. :smoking:

That's a good start for 2011. :thumbsup: Glass is getting fuller!

:beer:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:26 am 
Ken Hunter

..speed kills is true, but with less interchanges [3 men] means that those using their blistering speed will also need elite fitness, and elite repeat efforts.. ..i think the important factor as mentioned above, is gonna be how well as a team we go from flat out speed to strict, controlled tempo..if we can switch between these seamlessly, we'll be hard to match..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

IMHO it'll be Judd, Murphy, Gibbs who will set the tone. Judd gave more output than Murphy and Gibbs combined. If they lifted and provided anywhere near as much as Judd, Carlton would tear teams apart.

There's a question of the flakiness of defense but if your midfield has it 60/40 and they are damaging, the other team is going to treat you with a bit more trepidation.

Bring on the season... oh damn its still 4 months away.

At least Dallas and Arsenal both won on the weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Thanks Bondiblue....

I just wish some of the coaches would read my comments :wink:

Actually I don't think (Bluegirl72) that all the play will be along the boundary...depends on how quickly players can switch when they see what's happening.

The quicker this happens the less the forward crush works, the lesser a requirement to go via the boundary..(Collingwood went via the boundary even when they didn't need to...shows that even well drilled teams are slow at switching FROM a particular play)

BUT most importantly...come 2011..we all start even...Go Blues