Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
GWS wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Still can't figure out why Betts didn't continue as a part time Development coach/ indigenous liaison.

He was enticed over for that role, plus to escape from the Crows culture.

A superstar with 350 games under his belt and probably the best small forward the game has seen...something not right here.

With Jesse Motlop coming on board as a small forward, Betts' tutelage would've been invaluable for him, perhaps expedited his development, let alone Durdin's, Owies' and Fisher's.

I think peoples emotions get the better of their reasoning when they rate Betts. Carlton has had many stars over the years but Eddie would probably not feature in my top 50. No premiership player, B and F, captain. Great player and exciting to watch but never achieved the ultimate success in playing in a premiership. It’s people like Diesel who you want around the club. Not Eddie Betts.

29th highest goal kicker in league history and third highest as a small player and he doesn’t make your top 50 Carlton players?
Best footy was at Adelaide wasn't it?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Does it matter?

It was in the context of Betts taking a coaching role and it then being suggested people overrate him.

He's an AFL all time great.

If you were looking for someone to teach small forward craft I don't think there'd be anyone on the planet better qualified.

Don't care if he played for West Pluto.

This is my position too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

GWS wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
GWS wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Still can't figure out why Betts didn't continue as a part time Development coach/ indigenous liaison.

He was enticed over for that role, plus to escape from the Crows culture.

A superstar with 350 games under his belt and probably the best small forward the game has seen...something not right here.

With Jesse Motlop coming on board as a small forward, Betts' tutelage would've been invaluable for him, perhaps expedited his development, let alone Durdin's, Owies' and Fisher's.

I think peoples emotions get the better of their reasoning when they rate Betts. Carlton has had many stars over the years but Eddie would probably not feature in my top 50. No premiership player, B and F, captain. Great player and exciting to watch but never achieved the ultimate success in playing in a premiership. It’s people like Diesel who you want around the club. Not Eddie Betts.

29th highest goal kicker in league history and third highest as a small player and he doesn’t make your top 50 Carlton players?
Best footy was at Adelaide wasn't it?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Does it matter?

It was in the context of Betts taking a coaching role and it then being suggested people overrate him.

He's an AFL all time great.

If you were looking for someone to teach small forward craft I don't think there'd be anyone on the planet better qualified.

Don't care if he played for West Pluto.

He wanted to, we didn’t want him

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:03 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Maybe there were other undurlying issues.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:19 am 
Geoff Southby

I think if Eddie wants to make a career in the coaching caper its in his best interest's to go elsewhere . Broaden his horizon , get a new perspective .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:27 am 
Horrie Clover

There were underlying issues.

First time around he jumped, I wondered why. Went home to his old man, Carlton didnt match the contract a little bit or something, blah blah blah.

Then we brought him back to move into a coaching role. Given the carnage we have gone through off field, our soft cap is probably bulging, which leads to us having to save some money somewhere in there, so we probably have had to offer reduced wages.

Enter Geelong, and all of a sudden Eddie is going down the highway to Geelong.

We can believe all the stories, and the rest of it, but the one thing that I think I have learned, is that Eddie is probably looking out for Eddie, and its all about $$$ and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it aint strange, he just got another offer. Thats it. He isnt a loyal clubman type, and dont ever think he will be, he would have earned plenty out of marketing irrespective of where he landed and this to me looks more like penny pinching than anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:39 pm 
Serge Silvagni

The problem with Eddie is that he appears conflicted in where his loyalties lie. Too many question marks, so best to have a unified team where everyone’s values are aligned.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

He wanted a role in coaching and openly stated so. We offered him a role in marketing and welfare.
Geelong were smart enough to offer him a development role in the coaching department which was his chosen path.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:15 am 
Rod Ashman

Let's not overplay the loyalty factor: We seem to demand loyalty from our players/people but don't exactly treat our own with a similar ration of loyalty when it doesn't suit us.

Loyalty is most often shown by the players when they stick with us ahead of other offers on bigger coin. e.g. Kernahan lots of times, Crippa, Kruezer and Murphy even. And that is awesome and can be inspiring.

I think in Eddie's case, it appears there was a degree of mutual loyalty - we and he both gave each other first dibbs on what we were both after. In this case, he wanted a coaching role; we wanted him in marketing and player welfare. Therefore, we agreed to go different ways. Sounds perfectly fine to me and not that much to do with $$.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:39 am 
Rod Ashman

The Eddie discussion misses the point that it is important that Vossy and Cook have ownership over the coaching panel and the culture path we are on.

Whether or not he was determined a fit we will never know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

Good points being made in the last two posts. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
He wanted a role in coaching and openly stated so. We offered him a role in marketing and welfare.
Geelong were smart enough to offer him a development role in the coaching department which was his chosen path.

Correct.

Nothing to do with money.

It’s a part time role at the Cats.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:27 pm 
Rod Ashman

Am I correct in remembering a few months ago there was a bit of criticism that we didn't get someone like Rance when Essendon* announced him as an assistant? Apparently, his tenure was somewhat short-lived...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

17th Premiership wrote:
Am I correct in remembering a few months ago there was a bit of criticism that we didn't get someone like Rance when Essendon** announced him as an assistant? Apparently, his tenure was somewhat short-lived...

I recall there was some discussion late last year about seeing if he’d be interested in coming out of retirement for one season as a player with us (ie. to fill the gap left by Jones until a longer term option presented itself). Obviously that didn’t happen. I don’t remember anyone saying we should get him for an assistant coaching role though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:56 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

aboynamedsue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
Am I correct in remembering a few months ago there was a bit of criticism that we didn't get someone like Rance when Essendon*** announced him as an assistant? Apparently, his tenure was somewhat short-lived...

I recall there was some discussion late last year about seeing if he’d be interested in coming out of retirement for one season as a player with us (ie. to fill the gap left by Jones until a longer term option presented itself). Obviously that didn’t happen. I don’t remember anyone saying we should get him for an assistant coaching role though.

He may have been mentioned along with Scarlett

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:14 am 
Rod Ashman

I think it was along the lines of "we're crap because we haven't chased down someone like Rance to be our assistant - all the other teams are getting the best and we're left with 'the rest' "...
I any event, I'm looking forward to the season!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:42 pm 
Ken Hunter

Prediction: Hamill back at the club - curse broken. :razz:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:

I choose to be the superstitious type too.

Hamill was the first to leave us for money when we were a Finals team. We booed him at Princes Park and then.....

Then there's the Kennedy swap for Judd to deal with....in my head.

Henderson leaving for success or to be down the Bellarine Peninsula is another one who bugs me.

I'll feel cleansed when all the above are finished, but agree the tables turn with return of Hamill to his home.

Not so concerned about Robinson because he's enjoying some success after being kicked out by MM.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

Jones, Stocker, Walsh. Things haven't exactly gone swimmingly since Hammill returned :lol:

(sorry to be a negative nelly)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:

Jeezus Suss , you never fail to come up with some pearler's . Where did you drag that one from ? Could be right mate . Just whack Jack's name back on the stand and we will be away for sure .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Jeezus Suss , you never fail to come up with some pearler's . Where did you drag that one from ? Could be right mate . Just whack Jack's name back on the stand and we will be away for sure .

:lol:

Its all happening at Princes Park.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 80  Next