Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Soft Goals
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:00 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

I was sitting behind the Swans goal in the second and final quarters on the weekend and was frustrated by the number of times they strolled in and kicked a goal from the square unopposed.

Conversely, when Garlett was running in Kennelly was there for a soccer save on the line.

I was still dwelling on this last night when I saw Ross Lyon talking about stopping "Soft Goals" being one of his teams KPI's.

Our backline seems to be instructed to stay with their man and not peel off to help in the square.

This skill or tactical philosophy is an example of the things that frustrate me as a fan and INHO stop us moving up the ladder.

Regards,

CB :confused:

Post subject: Re: Soft Goals
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

I haven't watched the game again and probably never will but I was scratching my head how Swans players were getting goal side of our boys inside their 50 at stoppages while at the other end we needed Noah's ark to get through the flood.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Shaws soft goal was because Murph tried to get the ball from Mumfords hands as Jacobs was tackilng him. Mumford shoots out a short handball to Shaw who's peeled of the contest and away he goes.

Not sure if Murph did the wrong thing or not, . He backed himself to get the ball or totally wrap Mummy up, but he didn't get there in time.
If he had his time again he'd either make up his mind quicker or stay with Shaw.

I'm sure it will be highlighed at the review. Just something to work on .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

Jetta got a cheap goal when Joseph elected to go to the contest in the pocket instead of staying with his man in the goal square. Given that he didn't influence the contest it was a costly decision.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:47 pm 
Robert Walls

Our backline is poor as is our whole team's defensive attitude and mind set

Did anyone notice twice at boundary throw ins near the Swans goal I think Hanneberry ?? was able to grab possession unopposed? Set plan but one we didn't see coming and we didn't counter for the 2nd time it happened, inexcusable really

Guy just ran into the contest not tagged at all by anyone and was able to swoop on the ball

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rename this thread 'dumb goals'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:59 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

I'm not so much worried about defenders backing themselves to go to a contest, it's more the defensive rotation of the next guy seeing whats happened and covering or rotating.

In a close loss everything gets scrutinised, but the Swans managed to create enough goalline pressure to make Waite hit the post and touch Garlett's running goal etc but we let numerous guys, Bevan, Shaw and Dennis-Lane punt it to the back row!

Little things like this defensive philosophy add up!

CB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:26 pm 
Robert Walls

whoa Coach! there was absolutely no pressure on Waite. He missed a sitter. No excuse.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:30 pm 
Wayne Johnston

More defensive pressure from the midfield and forwards will take a lot of pressure off our defenders making their job a lot easier.
All over team defense has to be worked on. Mind you teams that do have this (top 3) do concede a few soft goal when teams get it over the top of their zone quickly.

Stopage goals are killers as are the ones where we crap ourselves at the end of quarters. Hopefully strength in body and mind, plus experience put an end to such goings on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

Nothing much wrong with our backline...................our forwardline defensive pressure is very ordinary for mine.Like i said in another post,Kenneally killed us,not to mention Malceski.These two blokes always charge late and we were not prepared.Bloody hell,we have our own two chargers in Armie and Bowser.Differance is Roos was aware and countered,notably Dennis-Lane playing deep,and Bowser being corralled rather than tackled.Bowser was corralled front on which in turn forced him wide eliminating him charging through the guts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:34 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Mickstar wrote:
Nothing much wrong with our backline...................our forwardline defensive pressure is very ordinary for mine.Like i said in another post,Kenneally killed us,not to mention Malceski.These two blokes always charge late and we were not prepared.Bloody hell,we have our own two chargers in Armie and Bowser.Differance is Roos was aware and countered,notably Dennis-Lane playing deep,and Bowser being corralled rather than tackled.Bowser was corralled front on which in turn forced him wide eliminating him charging through the guts.

Roos couldnt stop Judd when he knew he was the only one who could turn things at half time. Sometimes you just get outplayed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:44 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

club29 wrote:
Stoppage goals are killers as are the ones where we crap ourselves at the end of quarters. Hopefully strength in body and mind, plus experience put an end to such goings on.

Sydney on-ballers are always directing their teamates where to stand; where the sweeper should be etc - there doesn't appear to be a massive amount of talk/direction during defensive 50 stoppages, especially throw ins.

So many of our players forget their agenda should be to stay tight on their man; instead they ball hunting and get sucked into the contest where their man is then left over the top.

Our forward 50 throw ins however are quite good, especially when Kreuzer is playing.

David King showed on one of the new Fox programs how when we win a stoppage there are so many players who have rolled the dice and run forward - sure it looks brilliant when you maintain possession and kick the goal, but what about when the opposition apply massive pressure and/or your players make the wrong decision or kick properly - you're goneski. There needs to be more balance between attack and defence.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

club29 wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Roos couldnt stop Judd when he knew he was the only one who could turn things at half time. Sometimes you just get outplayed.

With all due respect Clubbie,Judd is in a differant stratosphere to Kenneally and Malceski.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:07 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Mickstar wrote:
club29 wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

With all due respect Clubbie,Judd is in a differant stratosphere to Kenneally and Malceski.

Fair point.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

Alot of this stuff would be sorted if we had better assistant coaches

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:11 pm 
Herald Sun columnist

If I recall correctly the Hawks vs Saints game that was draw a few weeks back was a result of McEvoy being able to contest a throw in near the Saints goal and having no Dawks players goal-side - he slotted in an easy goal that drew the match with only seconds left.

Stuff happens all the time and it is not always a reflection of bad coaching or assistants, just bad lapses by the players.

“It is a state of mind, a system of belief, a way of seeing the world, a deep faith that, because you are Carlton, you belong to something great.” - Mike Fitzpatrick articulating what Out of the Blue means.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:16 pm 
Robert Walls

I made mention of this in the match day thread as it was unfolding and they covered it well on One week at a time.

Sydney push all their players out wide around a forward stoppage leaving a great big hole for their forwards/midfielders to run into. Our players just go man on man and no one drops into the hole to stop the easy take away and subsequent goal.

Unfortunately Sydney were as smart as we were stupid. You'd think it would only happen once during the game before we would change our tactics, however I counted at least 3 occasions where it happened. I reckon it's a bit of a case of our entire team including the coach still learning on the job. Sydney on the other hand have a very experienced coach and some well-drilled players to carry out his instructions to a T.

Hopefully we are not too far away from learning these basic plays.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:56 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Michael Jezz wrote:
Alot of this stuff would be sorted if we had better assistant coaches

or if we put Mark Maclure and Robert Walls on the board.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:42 pm 
Rod McGregor

The buck stops with the coach.

Tactically he struggles and this will not change.

Not sure he can take us any further.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:30 am 
Bruce Doull

Can Eater wrote:
The buck stops with the coach.

Tactically he struggles and this will not change.

Not sure he can take us any further.

if thornton played sydney wouldnt have scored

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.