Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Legend John Nicholls dark on old Navy Blues

Quote:
CARLTON'S greatest player John Nicholls believes the Blues have lost respect and had their brand trashed during the lowest period in the club's history.

Nicholls, one of the game's greatest ruckmen and a member of the AFL's Team of the Century, also criticised former club presidents John Elliott and the late George Harris, who he said had been arrogant when Carlton was successful.

After watching Q&A on ABC this evening it's no surprise our club went down the shitter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Effes wrote:
Legend John Nicholls dark on old Navy Blues

Quote:
CARLTON'S greatest player John Nicholls believes the Blues have lost respect and had their brand trashed during the lowest period in the club's history.

Nicholls, one of the game's greatest ruckmen and a member of the AFL's Team of the Century, also criticised former club presidents John Elliott and the late George Harris, who he said had been arrogant when Carlton was successful.

After watching Q&A on ABC this evening it's no surprise our club went down the shitter.

x2.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

Effes wrote:

You should see him at functions. Having said that he's nearly 69, and hasn't exactly looked after himself. Takes its toll.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

jimmae wrote:
Effes wrote:

You should see him at functions. Having said that he's nearly 69, and hasn't exactly looked after himself. Takes its toll.

If you bothered to listen...JE actually made some sense. Especially with regards to the dire situation of our water supplies. He may have been detrimental to our club, but he does have some valid points as a more successful businessman than you or i. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mark J wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Effes wrote:

If you bothered to listen...JE actually made some sense. Especially with regards to the dire situation of our water supplies. He may have been detrimental to our club, but he does have some valid points as a more successful businessman than you or i. :wink:

I didn't watch Q&A. I've heard him before on it; he generally starts well then trails off. Sound familiar? ;)

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:19 am 
Rod McGregor

The club has never been the same since big Jack was ousted !!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:59 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Mark J wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Effes wrote:

I'm a more successful business man than JE. I've never been banned from being a company director!

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:43 am 
Craig Bradley

Typical HUN taking the negative, misleading angle.

Nicholls is talking about past Blues administration, and coaching; not the current ones.

Dig a bit deeper, and you find:

Quote:
But Nicholls gave credit to the current team, which sits sixth on the ladder.

"I am tickled pink with the way we are going," he said. "We have lost a few games I've been disappointed with, but I put that down to lack of experience and game time."

moshe25 wrote:
Mark J wrote:
a more successful businessman than you or i. :wink:

I'm a more successful business man than JE. I've never been banned from being a company director!

I've never declared myself bankrupt either.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:32 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Can Eater wrote:

Too true. We now have our debt under control and we're not cheating our way to the spoon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:34 am 
Ken Hunter

The Age has a slightly different article up.
Great says Blues not in great Nick
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/great-sa ... 121k3.html

(one thing he commented on was the lack of pressure in the recent Carlton sides - Ratts was in attendance too)

Plus no idiotic comments from the peanut gallery unlike the Hun article. Reading the comments on any Carlton article at the Hun is something like this:

"Carlscum! Carltank! They cheated their way to their last flag! LOL can you smell what the blues are cooking it stinks! LOL They know we're coming yeah right more like They know we're going!"

Honestly I've read more intelligent stuff on Bay 13.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:05 am 
Adrian Gallagher

From The Age:

Nicholls also lamented the lack of senior Carlton players in attendance at yesterday's function, organised by the coterie group Spirit of Carlton. He noted the presence of Jarrad Waite, the son of 1970 premiership player Vin Waite, who attended in honour of his deceased father. Injured ruckman Matthew Kreuzer was also there, while Ratten sat at a table of young Blues rookies.

Well done to Waite and Kreuzer... they have blue blood in their veins.

What about the rest of the playing group. Wouldn't have this important occasion been the perfect oportunity to instill a bit of carlton spirit into the present playing group? They don't seem to understand the long history they represent when they run out in the navy blue...
Carlton teams of old never gave up, never gave in... always fought tooth and nail to the end... just as Big Nick said.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:10 am 
Geoff Southby

4th Gen Blue Boy wrote:
From The Age:

Nicholls also lamented the lack of senior Carlton players in attendance at yesterday's function, organised by the coterie group Spirit of Carlton. He noted the presence of Jarrad Waite, the son of 1970 premiership player Vin Waite, who attended in honour of his deceased father. Injured ruckman Matthew Kreuzer was also there, while Ratten sat at a table of young Blues rookies.

What about the rest of the playing group. Wouldn't have this important occasion been the perfect oportunity to instill a bit of carlton spirit into the present playing group? They don't seem to understand the long history they represent when they run out in the navy blue...
Carlton teams of old never gave up, never gave in... always fought tooth and nail to the end... just as Big Nick said.

You only have to read some of the court transcripts from the Lovett case to get a sense of what goes on in the average AFL player's head.

For every Kreuzer, there's a heap of self-absorbed, immature peanuts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

jimmae wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Effes wrote:

I didn't watch Q&A. I've heard him before on it; he generally starts well then trails off. Sound familiar? ;)

yes..that is it exactly. he was unable to participate in the group discussion..he just kidnapped the conversation to state his ideas..which in themselves weren't too bad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:00 am 
Trevor Keogh

Good on you Big Nick!!!!

If people can't see that the club is unhealthy, they aren't looking. It is refreshing to see a club legend divert from the "It's all OK" group-thinking that pours out of the usual sources.

The communal back slapping and self-satisfaction after we trash bottom 6 sides is nauseating. We have failed against every team in our vacinity on the ladder, and everyone wants to pat themselves on the back. Where is the Carlton that aspired to more?!

Very interesting article about how Jim Stynes has rescued Melbourne.

He noticed that not one player attended the club christmas function in 2008, was appalled, and then in 2009 every player on the list was there and they did an entertaining revue. That brings some cohesion and spirit to the place.

How did we only have 2 or 3 players at that event?

The whole group would've learnt more from listening to Big Nick's talk than they would have from listening to Lappin's forward plan.

The Board is led by a puppet who doesn't want to be President anymore, and the Match Committee is inept and not cohesive. But we're 10-9 so "it's all ok".

Just wait for the back slapping tomorrow about how good we are when we smash the 15th team on ladder.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:29 am 
Rod Ashman

I found it astounding how little respect the 1964 to 1972 generation get. This playing group started from where the current group sits now & yet none of them are in the inner sanctum. Forum members, playing group & administration should listen to every one of their words They are not has beens. They are done its. They did what the current Carlton can only dream of, so they understand the journey and commitment levels required. That is why I keep pushing to get Robert Walls on the board & you could do worse than having Big Nick sit next to him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:47 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Can Eater wrote:

Too true. We now have our debt under control and we're not cheating our way to the spoon.

So true!
I'd rather wait another ten years if it meant having integrity off field as well as great skill on field.
I shudder to think that buffoon would come back in power at our club.
Those times are gone, and should stay that way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

4th Gen Blue Boy wrote:
From The Age:

I find it bewildering that attendance at this sort of thing isn't compulsory......but they'll happily go go-karting. :garthp:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:40 pm 
Ken Hunter

JohnM wrote:
4th Gen Blue Boy wrote:
From The Age:

You only have to read some of the court transcripts from the Lovett case to get a sense of what goes on in the average AFL player's head.

For every Kreuzer, there's a heap of self-absorbed, immature peanuts.

Very true...but I would like to hope that our team isn't full of players with the same mentality as that.

I wondered about the lack of senior players. Waite was there and he's playing on the weekend and I reckon if Krooz was playing he still would have showed up.
Where were the leadership group? At the least they should have been in attendance. It's a luncheon, only a couple of hours out of the day.

Last edited by missnaut on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:43 pm 
Robert Walls

I liked Big Nick having a go and not trotting out the same old shit. But the players not attending really gets up my goat. I'm not sure why, but I just expected more. This is the most successful and famous club ion the game and they should relish being part of it. At every opportunity.

Perhaps it's indicative of how little they realise how effing good they have got it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Far be it me to question Big Nick but sometimes you wonder if the players of old even have the slightest clues about what involved in playing football these days or any other sport for that matter .

and as for complaining about not turning up to the event it's a bit like asking your teenager to sit back and enjoy Great Nannas 80th