Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:
For example, the existing Visy headquarters could be accomodated easily by modifying and integrating that building under a substantial grandstand that would overlay.

Hmmm...that's not doable...

If the ground did come back as that 3rd Melbourne venue - it would be an AFL controlled ground venue...otherwise known as a 'Clean Stadium'. That'd be the only way that the Roos and Dogs would consider playing games there, as you'd never revert to what happened in the old days with Hawthorn and Fitzroy leasing the ground from us.

That doesn't bother me, as we'd still clear around 300k (minimum) for every home game. So in an ideal world, Carlton would have a seven-four home games split involving Visy Park, with the majority at the MCG, and that would - without a shadow of a doubt provide a better financial return than the current deal. And appease the majority of supporters I would have thought.

Thanks Doc! Unless we receive an engineer's opinion to the contrary, I would consider the development of a new grandstand, technically feasible. By saying it is not doable, I am not clear as to what you mean?

In regards to your suggestion, I am certainly open-minded to the idea that the Roos and the Dogs could have some common interest with Carlton. Whether it is as a co-tenant or co-owner, would depend upon what those two clubs are financially contributing to the development. Can I assume that Carlton owns the freehold land at Princes Park?

On the issue of the MCG, I query whether there are currently too many tenants at the MCG? Is there enough room to fit another tenant such as Carlton, in addition to the present tenants of Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Richmond, the Cricket Club and the AFL itself? Am I missing anyone?

I consider it unusual though, as to why a powerful Club like Carlton would want to share a home ground with its arch enemy Collingwood. Would Manchester United wish to share a home ground (say for example, Wembley) with Liverpool or Arsenal?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:05 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Thanks Doc! Unless we receive an engineer's opinion to the contrary, I would consider the development of a new grandstand, technically feasible. By saying it is not doable, I am not clear as to what you mean?

There's no possible way of putting seating in front of the training facility. With regard to the other stands, engineer reports have already been done and everything has come back with a pretty good report. Actually, there was a big OH&S problem for years as the plumbing leaked in quite a few places for a long time. The reason there is only a $20-25million costing on it is because it only needs cosmetic work...structurally, the stands are mostly ok.

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Can I assume that Carlton owns the freehold land at Princes Park?

Definitely not. This is all public land controlled by Melbourne City Council.

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
On the issue of the MCG, I query whether there are currently too many tenants at the MCG? Is there enough room to fit another tenant such as Carlton, in addition to the present tenants of Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Richmond, the Cricket Club and the AFL itself? Am I missing anyone? I consider it unusual though, as to why a powerful Club like Carlton would want to share a home ground with its arch enemy Collingwood. Would Manchester United wish to share a home ground with Liverpool or Arsenal?

AFL House is at Docklands. Being a tenant at the MCG means very little except on gameday. We'd be unlikely to get the same deal for our Social Club members as Collingwood, but it'd be a darn sight better than the current arrangement at Etihad and my 14-month daughter could negotiate that in her sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

There's no possible way of putting seating in front of the training facility. With regard to the other stands, engineer reports have already been done and everything has come back with a pretty good report. Actually, there was a big OH&S problem for years as the plumbing leaked in quite a few places for a long time. The reason there is only a $20-25million costing on it is because it only needs cosmetic work...structurally, the stands are mostly ok.

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Can I assume that Carlton owns the freehold land at Princes Park?

Definitely not. This is all public land controlled by Melbourne City Council.

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
On the issue of the MCG, I query whether there are currently too many tenants at the MCG? Is there enough room to fit another tenant such as Carlton, in addition to the present tenants of Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Richmond, the Cricket Club and the AFL itself? Am I missing anyone? I consider it unusual though, as to why a powerful Club like Carlton would want to share a home ground with its arch enemy Collingwood. Would Manchester United wish to share a home ground with Liverpool or Arsenal?

AFL House is at Docklands. Being a tenant at the MCG means very little except on gameday. We'd be unlikely to get the same deal for our Social Club members as Collingwood, but it'd be a darn sight better than the current arrangement at Etihad and my 14-month daughter could negotiate that in her sleep.

Thanks for your comments Doc. However, I am afraid to say that I not in agreement with your views. If man can send a human being to the moon in a rocket, it seems to me that we can overlay a grandstand over a modified training facility. I would not be enthusiastic about watching games at Princes Park where there is no crowd at one end. I recall the practise game this year with Brisbane that there was silence at the Royal Parade end, even though there was a crowd in the Legends Stand. I think we need to have a vision that Princes Park is not just a training facility, but a future football ground. If we locked in Princes Park as a home ground, we could "lock in" at least 5-6 wins a season (noting that 11 wins provides finals this year). That obviously translates to success off the field in terms of new members, a connected social club, and more sponsors and revenues.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:24 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The impending redevelopment of the Southern Stand is the perfect opportunity for Carlton to make plans for an MCG move. Hopefully Swanny and co. are holding discussions to construct a Carlton social club as part of the new facilities, similar to what Collingwood have scammed.
Come on boys, earn your dollars before someone beats us to it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:49 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue Vain wrote:
The impending redevelopment of the Southern Stand is the perfect opportunity for Carlton to make plans for an MCG move. Hopefully Swanny and co. are holding discussions to construct a Carlton social club as part of the new facilities, similar to what Collingwood have scammed.
Come on boys, earn your dollars before someone beats us to it.

this

ffs get on in it blues. give ourselves half a chance and get away from ShittyHAD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

Excellent point BV. :thumbsup:

Make it like getting into a private school and drop a tidy donation to the "building fund"! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:36 am 
Ken Hunter

Mosquito Fleet ... have you applied for a seat on the board yet? :thumbsup: .... if not, please ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

pfft they never went to the moon

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

I can safely say now that any team that has a home ground at Docklands will not win a Premiership.

2001 Brisbane - Gabba
2002 Brisbane - Gabba
2003 Brisbane - Gabba
2004 Port Adelaide - AAMI
2005 Sydney - SCG
2006 West Coast - Subiaco
2007 Geelong - Skilled
2008 Hawthorn - MCG
2009 Geelong - Skilled
2010 Collingwood - MCG

It is a no brainer - Carlton to the MCG for the blockbusters and Princes Park for small interstate teams.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

Weren't the scum based there in 2000?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:19 pm 
Wayne Johnston

We cant expect the luck collingwood have had with their draw if we dont actually use the mcg as our home ground.
We have to get there at all costs. It will be the equal of getting Judd to the club.

Pass the hat around. I am sure we can buy our way out of our current deal and buy into a new one with the MCG.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:22 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Donstuie wrote:

Why do you think he started his analysis in 2001?

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

If the ball had bounced the other way and Milne had won them a flag, would we need to extend our Etihad contract?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

Donstuie wrote:

Yes Donstuie, you are correct. :wink:

However, that year from my reading Dons had: 9 home and away games at Docklands, 9 home and away games at MCG;
All 3 finals at MCG.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:42 pm 
Ken Hunter

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
I can safely say now that any team that has a home ground at Docklands will not win a Premiership.

2001 Brisbane - Gabba
2002 Brisbane - Gabba
2003 Brisbane - Gabba
2004 Port Adelaide - AAMI
2005 Sydney - SCG
2006 West Coast - Subiaco
2007 Geelong - Skilled
2008 Hawthorn - MCG
2009 Geelong - Skilled
2010 Collingwood - MCG

It is a no brainer - Carlton to the MCG for the blockbusters and Princes Park for small interstate teams.

6 won by interstate sides

2 won by non Melb based sides

2 won by Melb based sides

:hitcomputer:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:34 am 
Harry Vallence

club29 wrote:
We cant expect the luck collingwood have had with their draw if we dont actually use the mcg as our home ground.
We have to get there at all costs. It will be the equal of getting Judd to the club.

Pass the hat around. I am sure we can buy our way out of our current deal and buy into a new one with the MCG.
Stephen Gough for President.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

In the wake of our publicised financial situation, I looked back at this thread. Three points stood out:
1. the Etihad deal does nothing for us, and we might be best served to get ourselves out of it sooner than the 2012/2014 endpoint.
2. we must get to the MCG and negotiate for a social club there when the Southern Stand gets re-developed, so we can feel more like a club (not just internet supporters as I often feel).
3. Prince Park is an amazing asset, we have been there for over 100 years, and we should be thinking big and making a plan to have it back in action, as a serious revenue earner.

These three issues require a strong board with a bold vision, good networks into AFL/MCC/government, and damn good ability to negotiate. Unfortunately at the December AGM we heard precious little abotu this important issue. There are some 'rumours' of a strategic plan but nothing to get excited about. As members we need to agitate about this, we need to some bold vision again for our club!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

TomAlvin'sWig wrote:
3. Prince Park is an amazing asset, we have been there for over 100 years, and we should be thinking big and making a plan to have it back in action, as a serious revenue earner.!

There is no chance of Princes Park being used as an AFL Venue - however in a proposal I raised on TC last year - we should seriously think about completely taking over the Preston/Northern Bullants Football Club over - and rebranding them as the Northern Blues (obviously changing their colours to Navy Blue) and playing all their home games at Princes/Visy Park.

This is firstly to grow our community supporter base in the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne and secondly to leverage the exposure that will grow with the State Based Champions League concept.

Most Melbourne AFL clubs have staked a geographic claim in the Melbourne Suburbs - Hawthorn to the East, St. Kilda to the South East, Footscray to the West, Essendon* to the North West.

Collingwood has abandoned its traditional Northern Suburb heartland to embrace a national and international focus - whilst I firmly agree that our Carlton AFL side should continue along this path a Northern Blues VFL side should target and focus on the Northern Suburbs to ensure a strong foothold for membership growth in the future and to ensure we remain a relevant force when the call goes out as it will in the future for the reduction of AFL clubs.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

we need to be based at the 'G - forget the romanticism of playing back at PP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Bomba Sheldon wrote:
we need to be based at the 'G - forget the romanticism of playing back at PP

I am referring to having a stand alone side playing in the VFL at Princes Park (to be known as the Northern Blues). :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next