Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

December's AGM would give you a better idea of where the clubs' head was at and why. I would hazard a guess and tell you that the response you would get might be a 'continue to have discussions with the MCG and Etihad regarding our home games'...and as for the potential to play at Visy Park again, 'unless you know Sheikh Mansour and can convince him to barrack for Carlton'...might be the answer you get.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

chubbyruss wrote:
Not a hope in the world of playing twilight or night footy at Princes Park.

You need lights :idea:

The residents would never allow it. Their kids would not be able to go to sleep

Hi Chubbyruss! I hope that I was not intending to convey the idea that the CFC should have lights at Princes Park, for night games.

I was only suggesting that we play day games on Saturday or Sunday. :smile:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Shuttle buses from...say Fed Square on match days...Visy sloganed, ethanol run buses....to PP ..no cars in fields..
it could work?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:08 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

I HATE THAT FRIGGIN' STADIUM!

HOW THE HELL DID WE END UP SHARING A GROUND WITH THE LIKES OF THE SAINTS, DOGS, NOT TO MENTION THAT OTHER MOB?

I'm sure it's fine for corporate fat cats who like to park under the stadium and eat vol au vents and canape's while glancing over at the footy occasionally.

The Stadium was a big ruse on Melbourne from the start. it was supposed to have moveable grandstands and the latest technology. Instead we got a poorly thought out stadium with ZERO atmosphere.

YOU CAN'T WALK AROUND THE STADIUM AT THE BREAKS BECAUSE THEY BLOCK OFF THE WALKWAY FOR COACHES TO MAKE THEIR WAY TO THE ARENA!! HA, HA, HA!!!

MAKE NO MISTAKE, THIS IS A "CHEAP ASS" SECOND RATE VENUE WHICH WILL NOT LIVE TO SEE 2020!

GOOD RIDDANCE I SAY!!!

I CAN'T WAIT GET THE THE MCG FAST ENOUGH!

WE DESERVE TO PLAY AT THE MCG!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

Yo mon, I hear you! :clap:

We call ourselves the green team, but have you seen the sun lamps on the icelands turf during the week??!
It's a disgrace, the carbon emissions coming from that...

Princes Park, to borrow a phrase friends.....yes we will, I mean can..! I will go now to the AGM good doctor and find out what they have to say. I got a sniff of democracy on the weekend and I like it! Printed off the member voting rights form today and will fax it in.

I like your thinking Bluegirl, that's the vision that can make it happen. How about the first carbon neutral AFL game held there!? No lights, no cars, Cascade Green, natural grass as we make solar energy burning off the GC suns!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

Curtley Ambrose wrote:

HOW THE HELL DID WE END UP SHARING A GROUND WITH THE LIKES OF THE SAINTS, DOGS, NOT TO MENTION THAT OTHER MOB?

I'm sure it's fine for corporate fat cats who like to park under the stadium and eat vol au vents and canape's while glancing over at the footy occasionally.

The Stadium was a big ruse on Melbourne from the start. it was supposed to have moveable grandstands and the latest technology. Instead we got a poorly thought out stadium with ZERO atmosphere.

YOU CAN'T WALK AROUND THE STADIUM AT THE BREAKS BECAUSE THEY BLOCK OFF THE WALKWAY FOR COACHES TO MAKE THEIR WAY TO THE ARENA!! HA, HA, HA!!!

MAKE NO MISTAKE, THIS IS A "CHEAP ASS" SECOND RATE VENUE WHICH WILL NOT LIVE TO SEE 2020!

GOOD RIDDANCE I SAY!!!

Post of the week mon :clap:

bluegirl72 wrote:
Shuttle buses from...say Fed Square on match days...Visy sloganed, ethanol run buses....to PP ..no cars in fields..
it could work?

I like that idea. Could easily run shuttles from the city train stations or North Melbourne station to help ease the congestion on the tram and it would encourage people to take PT etc.

but the locals will never allow it. Do you guys remember the shitfight when Big Day Out ran at Princes Park for a couple of years? That was them being inconvenienced for ONE day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:24 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Not sure if some of you have been to Princes Park lately, I popped down there at lunchtime today for a look, but there's a new development which takes up one end that'll make it difficult to play an AFL game there again.

The chances of playing AFL football there again ended when we started the re-development.

Besides taking up 25% of the crowd capacity, there's only room for 1 cheer squad.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:47 am 
Geoff Southby

TruBlueBrad wrote:
Not sure if some of you have been to Princes Park lately, I popped down there at lunchtime today for a look, but there's a new development which takes up one end that'll make it difficult to play an AFL game there again.

The chances of playing AFL football there again ended when we started the re-development.

Besides taking up 25% of the crowd capacity, there's only room for 1 cheer squad.

No sh!t, I loved PP but it's gone now.

I actually don't mind the dome except on a sunny day when the roof is open and the recent issues with the dangerous shifting turf. The atmosphere is electric when there is a good game on there like against StKilda last year. Not the stadium's fault we've been in a number of dull encounters there this season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:52 am 
Stephen Kernahan

TruBlueBrad wrote:

The only way it could work is if North had a massive falling out with both Etihad and AFL and a scheduled 'Dome' game against a Freo was shifted to Visy. Of course for this to happen, Visy would still need $20 million to lift it to an acceptable standard.

For Carlton to play regular season matches there is a lost battle, however there's no reason why more NAB Cup, VFL reserves and TAC Cup games cannot be played there if the facilities are up to scratch. Getting a viable 3rd venue up to scratch as quickly as possible benefits everyone - but as already stated, there are many reasons as to why any private investment would stay well clear for now.

Meanwhile, Geelong hope Abbott can form government because he's promised $36 million to Kardinia Park (should we get the World Cup)...and the Kangaroos hope Gillard gets the nod as she's promised them a swag of cash for ground development which includes new interchange benches, goal posts, fences and seating, as well as new boxes for timekeepers, coaches, and scorers.

Did she think the 'Kangaroos' play matches there? I shook my head in disbelief when I read that - but my bigger concern was the fact that Carlton didn't have a word to either party about some federal funding for a proposed upgrade to bring Visy Park up to AFL standard. It goes to show you that whilst we think the men in suits on the Carlton board run Carlton, it's the men in suits at AFL House who control the Blues.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:11 pm 
Rod Ashman

missnaut wrote:
Curtley Ambrose wrote:

GOOD RIDDANCE I SAY!!!

Post of the week mon :clap:

bluegirl72 wrote:
it could work?

I like that idea. Could easily run shuttles from the city train stations or North Melbourne station to help ease the congestion on the tram and it would encourage people to take PT etc.

but the locals will never allow it. Do you guys remember the shitfight when Big Day Out ran at Princes Park for a couple of years? That was them being inconvenienced for ONE day.

Speaking as someone who lives over the road from Kardinia Park, where do you get these "locals" and can they do anything about my rates going to the GFC?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:08 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Getting a pass-out is also a nightmare.

To top it all off, we play our worst footy there!

I know the halcyon days of Princes Park are over, but why are they adding insult to injury by chosing to play there?

Just in case you weren't aware where I stood on this issue:

I HATE THAT CHEAP-ASS, FRAUD OF A STADIUM!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

Plus there's no breeze to work with there eh Curtley?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:

The only way it could work is if North had a massive falling out with both Etihad and AFL and a scheduled 'Dome' game against a Freo was shifted to Visy. Of course for this to happen, Visy would still need $20 million to lift it to an acceptable standard.

For Carlton to play regular season matches there is a lost battle, however there's no reason why more NAB Cup, VFL reserves and TAC Cup games cannot be played there if the facilities are up to scratch. Getting a viable 3rd venue up to scratch as quickly as possible benefits everyone - but as already stated, there are many reasons as to why any private investment would stay well clear for now.

Meanwhile, Geelong hope Abbott can form government because he's promised $36 million to Kardinia Park (should we get the World Cup)...and the Kangaroos hope Gillard gets the nod as she's promised them a swag of cash for ground development which includes new interchange benches, goal posts, fences and seating, as well as new boxes for timekeepers, coaches, and scorers.

Did she think the 'Kangaroos' play matches there? I shook my head in disbelief when I read that - but my bigger concern was the fact that Carlton didn't have a word to either party about some federal funding for a proposed upgrade to bring Visy Park up to AFL standard. It goes to show you that whilst we think the men in suits on the Carlton board run Carlton, it's the men in suits at AFL House who control the Blues.

Hi Doc ! It seems to me that if we control our ground, we control our destiny.

I think it is entirely feasible for Carlton to play regular AFL home and away games at Princes Park (say Carlton v Gold Coast), provided that the development is right. For example, the existing Visy headquarters could be accomodated easily by modifying and integrating that building under a substantial grandstand that would overlay. Just a thought. :smile:

I consider that $20 million is not a prohibitive investment, considering that (1) the Federal Government is proposing to contribute $36 million of taxpayers funds for Geelong's ground and (2) If the commercial broadcast rights from the ground are captured and valued correctly by Carlton.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:38 am 
Ken Hunter

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Hi Doc ! It seems to me that if we control our ground, we control our destiny.

I think it is entirely feasible for Carlton to play regular AFL home and away games at Princes Park (say Carlton v Gold Coast), provided that the development is right. For example, the existing Visy headquarters could be accomodated easily by modifying and integrating that building under a substantial grandstand that would overlay. Just a thought. :smile:

I consider that $20 million is not a prohibitive investment, considering that (1) the Federal Government is proposing to contribute $36 million of taxpayers funds for Geelong's ground and (2) If the commercial broadcast rights from the ground are captured and valued correctly by Carlton.

We need people like you on the BOARD :idea: :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:53 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
For example, the existing Visy headquarters could be accomodated easily by modifying and integrating that building under a substantial grandstand that would overlay.

Hmmm...that's not doable...

If the ground did come back as that 3rd Melbourne venue - it would be an AFL controlled ground venue...otherwise known as a 'Clean Stadium'. That'd be the only way that the Roos and Dogs would consider playing games there, as you'd never revert to what happened in the old days with Hawthorn and Fitzroy leasing the ground from us.

That doesn't bother me, as we'd still clear around 300k (minimum) for every home game. So in an ideal world, Carlton would have a seven-four home games split involving Visy Park, with the majority at the MCG, and that would - without a shadow of a doubt provide a better financial return than the current deal. And appease the majority of supporters I would have thought.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:14 am 
Robert Walls

Labour governments have already bankrolled the new facilities.
They aren't going to pay fir more development.
AFL will not either.

Unless you can sell the idea of Prince Roman Abramovich's Park, of get a sheikh involved as someone else mentioned, then it won't happen.

I want to play home games at the G.
That would be a great result.

Also the club should keep on top of any plans to build a second docklands/port Melbourne stadium.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

Mosquito Fleet you're spot on. It is an asset not being fully realised. I ask again, what is the Board's vision for the ground?

Port melbourne/second docklands stadium?? Is this a rumour/proposal going round. Can you elaborate on that one Bluey44?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:52 pm 
Robert Walls

TomAlvin'sWig wrote:
Mosquito Fleet you're spot on. It is an asset not being fully realised. I ask again, what is the Board's vision for the ground?

Port melbourne/second docklands stadium?? Is this a rumour/proposal going round. Can you elaborate on that one Bluey44?

John Brumby was spruiking it.
Not sure how serious it is.

If Ted Bailleu wins the election his real estate agency will probably start selling off Princes Park to apartment developers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

Thanks Bluey. With at least one more election due soon it would be a good time to lobby for our ground; and Parkville/Carlton must be a marginal seat now with the Greens on the march in there!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:51 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Wrong srategy.... purchase a slice from a stadium like Olympic Park specifically renovate it and add 15,000 seats.

Lease it out to clubs that want to keep their overheads down... cheapest and most profitable match day experience.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 37  Next