Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rocco Iguana wrote:
when we were forced to take docklands as our part 'home' ground we were on our knees with few friends.

Let's make sure our Club is strong in membership; developing successfully on the field and financially secure ... then we go to the AFL and demand a renegotiation ... no doubt AD would be in favour of that as he's a master of that.

once we pay back our $1M loan to the AFL, we could just about start shaking the tree on this matter .... MCG or nothing !

also let's make sure we can have the same home and away reserve seats as Collingwood, while we are at it.

Good point but apparently we don't give away enough scarves and beanies to attract more members.... :wink:

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

TomAlvin'sWig wrote:
(ps. does anyone know when is the agreement up at Jihad stadium?)
It was a 10 year contract. Not sure of expiry date but i assume 2015, with last game at PP 2005.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:09 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Stone Free wrote:
I thought we played alright there last year, but we had Fev then, so our style of play may have changed since.

We definitely played better there last year.

Etihad 6-2
MCG 4-4
Interstate 2-5

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:57 am 
Rod Ashman

I recall media announcements about 1 year ago, that there was a feasibility study undertaken by the AFL about the possibility of returning football to Princess Park. Does anyone know what the result of that study was?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:26 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
I recall media announcements about 1 year ago, that there was a feasibility study undertaken by the AFL about the possibility of returning football to Princess Park. Does anyone know what the result of that study was?

The Executive Summary is probably still with Gillon McLachlan...it's probably not something that's going to happen.

* It would cost about $20 million to renovate to 'acceptable AFL boutique ground' standards.
* There is a lack of suitable public transport and no car parking.

Carlton, North Melbourne and the Bulldogs would love it of course. The Roos and Dogs contract with Etihad has already expired, so they'd love to play their games against interstate clubs there.

At the end of the 2008, Carlton asked the MCG to help buy the club out of its Docklands contract but the MCG refused.

Not that it's any of their business, but I doubt the other clubs would be too happy with the knowledge that Carlton would profit to the tune of $400,000 a game at Princes Park. The larger crowd drawing games would be played at the MCG. I for one would be willing to sit in the Legends Stand with the sun directly in my eyes to see this come to fruition.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:54 am 
Rod Ashman

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

The Executive Summary is probably still with Gillon McLachlan...it's probably not something that's going to happen.

* It would cost about $20 million to renovate to 'acceptable AFL boutique ground' standards.

Carlton, North Melbourne and the Bulldogs would love it of course. The Roos and Dogs contract with Etihad has already expired, so they'd love to play their games against interstate clubs there.

At the end of the 2008, Carlton asked the MCG to help buy the club out of its Docklands contract but the MCG refused.

Not that it's any of their business, but I doubt the other clubs would be too happy with the knowledge that Carlton would profit to the tune of $400,000 a game at Princes Park. The larger crowd drawing games would be played at the MCG. I for one would be willing to sit in the Legends Stand with the sun directly in my eyes to see this come to fruition.

Thanks Doc. :thumbsup: Really useful information! Following up from your comments and thinking aloud, $20 million could be achievable IMO, having regard to the value of the broadcast rights of the games from that ground. I'm sure there are some smart actuarial acccountants that can work something out. This is particularly so, if there were 3 clubs including Carlton playing games there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

Please keep your ear to the ground on this one Doc...................its only a faint hope,and a very faint hope,but while there is life there is hope.I cannot think of any geater achievement than Sticks returning us to our ancestral home.Prez for life if he achieves that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:
Please keep your ear to the ground on this one Doc...................its only a faint hope,and a very faint hope,but while there is life there is hope.I cannot think of any greater achievement than Sticks returning us to our ancestral home. Prez for life if he achieves that.

Ruffy Geminder has a better chance than Sticks. There are a few 'old heads' around the place who believe that we will never be a force in the AFL again unless we can make this happen. As much as I would love for it to eventuate - there's next to no chance of this happening. Focus on getting to the 'G a bit quicker than the contract allows.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

Significant increases in revenue from Bruce Mathieson's pokies gift will help no end if it comes to us trying to negotiate our way to an early exit from the docklands contract.

I've got no doubt that shifting the bulk of our home games to the 'G is a key plank in our club's future prosperity. Princes Park is a nice little dream, but there's precious little chance of it happening... just too many variables that would all need to align... too hard.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Please keep your ear to the ground on this one Doc...................its only a faint hope,and a very faint hope,but while there is life there is hope.I cannot think of any greater achievement than Sticks returning us to our ancestral home. Prez for life if he achieves that.

Ruffy Geminder has a better chance than Sticks. There are a few 'old heads' around the place who believe that we will never be a force in the AFL again unless we can make this happen. As much as I would love for it to eventuate - there's next to no chance of this happening. Focus on getting to the 'G a bit quicker than the contract allows.

Thanks Doc...............im in the'oldheads' camp................its the 'fortress' mentality thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:27 am 
Rod Ashman

Princes Park Whistler wrote:
TomAlvin'sWig wrote:
It was a 10 year contract. Not sure of expiry date but i assume 2015, with last game at PP 2005.

I thought the contract came about in 2002?

"GIBBS."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
Focus on getting to the 'G a bit quicker than the contract allows.

Doc, is that "we are focusing" or "we should be focusing"???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:03 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
Focus on getting to the 'G a bit quicker than the contract allows.

Doc, is that "we are focusing" or "we should be focusing"???

He is saying focus on the G not PP if i read correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The powers that be have been trying to get to the 'G for 2 years. But the MCG has reneged every time. You would think that Stephen Gough would owe us a few favours - however as CEO, he is answerable to a board as well.

I think this will be one of the first things the new President will push for. There is growing dissatisfaction at Etihad (Essendon* are the only ones who won with their stadium deal), and our membership and crowd levels certainly warrant the move. If all goes to plan - we could be playing home games at the 'G by as early as 2012. I actually believe we'd gain many more members if we did.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:55 am 
Rod Ashman

Captain Dan wrote:
Princes Park Whistler wrote:
TomAlvin'sWig wrote:

I thought the contract came about in 2002?

Think you are right Dan, the contract was negotiated during Collins' time, I think when he first took over. Certainly before 2005. I think there might only be a couple of years left (unless Smorgon was stupid enough to extend it, which would not surprise :roll: )

Bring back the laurel wreath logo!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:56 am 
Rod Ashman

[quote="Dr.SHERRIN"]The powers that be have been trying to get to the 'G for 2 years. But the MCG has reneged every time. You would think that Stephen Gough would owe us a few favours - however as CEO, he is answerable to a board as well. /quote]

Don't understand that Doc. Surely the MCC would want more tenants, especially big drawing ones? Why would they so no???

Bring back the laurel wreath logo!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:01 am 
Serge Silvagni

Would love to see us return to Princes but as stated earlier if parking isnt rectified this is never going to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:29 am 
Stephen Kernahan

We moved there in 2005, meaning the 10 years is up at the end of 2014.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:44 am 
Harry Vallence

I believe that the AFL has a contract with Etihad Stadium to play X amount of game there per year, so even if we had a home ground at PP, the AFL won't schedule ALL of our home games there anyway. So we might end up with 2-3 games at PP, 8-9 at etihad, 7-8 MCG and 4 interstate games per year.

My preference is that we develop a gameplan that works on a smaller venue so that we get some advantage at docklands from interstate sides where most of them play on larger grounds and take advantage of our home ground.

Good teams play well on any ground and it is a test of how well we progress when we can be competitive on any ground in any state. Rather than b1tch and moan, we should embrace the challenge and the fantastic venue that is Docklands. (provided they can fix the turf issues)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

Yep stop bitching and moaning everyone and just take it up the back side like your supposed too ..... :banghead: and while your at it, enjoy watching GEELONG receive all the spoils we used to get once upon a time :idea:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next