Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:14 am 
Ken Hands

Ellard laid 9 tackles against the eagles, four against the pies and nine again against the Bombers. Friday night he had more disposals than Bryce Gibbs. I think he adds something to our mid-field and we look a lot stronger when we have some players willing to put their bodies on the line and take one or two for the team and I think Ellard is one such player. And to me, his skills look to be improving with each match. I think he looks like he belongs out there. And Hadley, I have always liked him and I thought that he would be a good player for the blues and a really handy pick up, not that he has proven me right too often.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:21 am 
Rod Ashman

grrofunger wrote:
not sure about hadley but ellard had a game high 7 clearances and 9 tackles

If Hadley was any good we wouldn't have gone for Mclean. Ellard is coming along nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:56 pm 
Robert Walls

HELLAS BLUE wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

If Hadley was any good we wouldn't have gone for Mclean. Ellard is coming along nicely.

What, do you think that 1 inside midfielder is enough for any AFL team? That is just a silly statement.

I suggest you watch Friday night's game again and then see if you think Hadley is any good or not. He was very good on Friday night :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:06 pm 
formerly BlueRob

I reckon a bloke called Greg Williams would still be a star today ... he had no pace .. but he did his job superbly. He would still win the ball ... he would still hit a team mate on the run and on the chest with a 20 m handball.

Now ... Hadley aint no Greg Williams ... but we need someone in and under ... its as simple as that ... if he can play smart football there is a place for him in this schitso Carlton side. I thought his combination with Warnock was a vital reason for the big win.

I have to say that Ellard was serviceable (better than I expected).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

HELLAS BLUE wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

Hadley was missed in the final after he broke his arm.
It was obvious we needed an in and under playing every game; Hadley is known to be susceptible to injury.

It turns out both McLean and Hadley are susceptible to injury.
I guess that's more than likely to happen playing the in and under role.

We need both...and Ellard is the surprise packet of the 3 imo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I can think of a couple of occasions where a Hadley possession and handball/kick started a possession chain that resulted in a goal, but all too often he disappears in a game. He just kinda trots along, hangs outside the packs, doesn't lead for possession or anything like that, but anyway, you take the good with the bad I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:48 pm 
Rod Ashman

Agree with the general sentiment re: Ellard and Hadley, but ...

I hope Hadley can tighten up his disposal with a few more games and some confidence. The number of times I see him handball to someone 5m away and hit their feet or make them jump ... too often. It usually doesn't hurt us as the player adjusts, but it's sloppy and sometimes the receiver's under intense pressure.

I'd certainly persist with both though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:22 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

They both added much needed grunt to the side............and about time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:25 pm 
Garry Crane

Stone Free wrote:
I can think of a couple of occasions where a Hadley possession and handball/kick started a possession chain that resulted in a goal, but all too often he disappears in a game. He just kinda trots along, hangs outside the packs, doesn't lead for possession or anything like that, but anyway, you take the good with the bad I guess.

SF I share your frustration that he can sometimes look too casual on the field especially when chasing - and I suspect that is why he gets dropped - but his effectiveness in the heat of the kitchen is undoubted.

I have watched the replay several times already and Hadley's work in close is sensational. You are right that he had a hand in many goals. Both he and Ellard got so many of the little touches and deflections that make all the difference - the less than 1%ers!

As for disposal BK, in space his disposal is generally first class in my opinion (yes I did see the couple of clangers). His value in close is his quick hands and quick decision making - under this pressure it is a bit much to expect lace out chest high delivery every time.

I have long been of the opinion that we are much better when Hadley is in the side. Since he returned in Rd 18 last season (after being dropped for 9 rounds) he has played in 9 games for 7 wins and 2 losses - hardly a liability.

His form in this pre-season was far superior to McLean but club chose to go with McLean and then persisted despite some continued very ordinary form. I think Hadley deserves a chance to really establish his place in the side and not get dropped at the first bump in the road.

Hopefully this time his body will not let him down.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:26 am 
Wayne Johnston

Blue Beatle wrote:
Koutamagic wrote:
I think we underestimate the important role inside grunt players like Hadley & mcclean is to us. Friday night saw Hadley and ellard win the contested balls in close and releasing to Judd & co to spread and create.

I think most commentators have overlooked just how important these players are to the team structure and balance.

blue sombrero and i also noticed how warnock also palmed the ball away from the centre pack directly to these two (rather than to his feet in the middle of the pack) , especially in the last quarter when confidence rose

Yes I noticed this too, I wondered if it stems from the amount of time Warnock has spent playing with Ellard and Hadley in the Ants this season, they seemed to have quite a good understanding...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:39 am 
Rod Ashman

Mil Hanna wrote:
HELLAS BLUE wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

What, do you think that 1 inside midfielder is enough for any AFL team? That is just a silly statement.

I suggest you watch Friday night's game again and then see if you think Hadley is any good or not. He was very good on Friday night :thumbsup:

No he wasn't, not from where I sat. Each to their own.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:54 am 
Harry Vallence

Hadley was very good on Friday night. 'snip'

Last edited by DownUnderChick on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal attack removed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:22 am 
Rod Ashman

Having watched the replay, I was impressed at the number of centre clearances Ellard got. For a guy playing his third game, he knows where to put himself at the centre bounce, and how to get the ball out. That's no mean feat. May be in the process of getting himself a contract next year.

Bring back the laurel wreath logo!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:28 am 
Rod Ashman

Siegfried wrote:
Having watched the replay, I was impressed at the number of centre clearances Ellard got. For a guy playing his third game, he knows where to put himself at the centre bounce, and how to get the ball out. That's no mean feat. May be in the process of getting himself a contract next year.

Agreed. He's come on in leaps and bounds from his game against the Eagles. He's got a classic set shot kicking style as well, that goal was never going to miss!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:51 am 
Ken Hunter

Ellard gets to the right places. I think he'll get his contract.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:24 am 
Horrie Clover

Ellard should absolutely get a contract for next year. He has taken his opportunity and shown what he can do. This combined with an outstanding attitude and work ethic should be what the future of the club is all about.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

Ellard definitely a contract next year. hadley is a good player to have on the list but whether he's in our best 22 or not im not as sure....2011 with everyone at full fitness i have McLean ahead of him in terms of selection priority.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:18 pm 
Garry Crane

Ellard has impressed me with his attack on the ball and teh man with the ball. His disposal looks sound from what I can see and he isn't as slow in my view as Ants reports suggest. He seems to want it bad enough and has obviously worked very hard on all aspects of his game at the direction of the MC.

I think if we don't sign him, he'll be playing seniors elsewhere next year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:13 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Hadley's problems have always been injury and his pace which due to his inuries has declined over the years. In tight he is very good however when they spread from the pack he can be left behind. Unfortunately just as he looks about to cement a spot he gets injured eg last year he had a great game around 30 odd possessions with about half contested and then got injured.

In his time at the Blues I think the only player to win more contested ball in the centre than Hadley has been Judd. He handballs a lot which IMO is probably to instruction. Win the hard ball and then get the ball outside to the runners. Against the top teams they try to match him up with a non stop runner and use that player all the time. Given the way he and McLean throw themselves at the footy they are bound to cop injuries and probably we need both on the list.

I like Ellard and despite his drawbacks he puts his nose over the ball and runs non stop and wins the hard ball. As supporters that is what we demand of our team and he sets an example for a lot of others to follow. The way AFL is going contested ball winners are becoming a premium whether it be in the ruck, marking around the ground, at the centre bounce, in defence or attack. Would like to see the club keep all three on the list but you would have to get a medical clearance on Hadley because his body may just not stand up to another season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:01 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

A few of us have been pushing up for Ellard for awhile now....he hasn't let us down.