Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: R19: Pros and Cons
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Pros:
Judd - superb
Warnock
Robbo
Jeffy
Intensity at the ball
Accuracy at goal
Winning the clearances
That wonderful 4th Q
The weather was beautiful at the G

Cons:
Don't care tonight, there'll be plenty of time to think about them later.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

WARNOCK was the best thing to come out of this game.

Ryder or Hille just couldn't get first hands on the pill.

We are going to have to find ways to get value out of MK whilst still allowing Robbie to dominate the hit outs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

Grigg - don't let him go, he needs to play ones and get slef belief and keep working on fitness and workrate.l

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

PROS:
- Intensity
- Absorbing their 3rd Q fightback and then wresting control back again
- Warnock, Garlett
- Hampson, Grigg (clearly NOT going to GC... sign them up, damnit!!)
- Judd
- Ellard, Robinson, Hadley, Murphy injected much more grunt tonight
- Strong finish sets momentum for Tigers next week
- Not easy to find their way back in for Walker, Yarran, Setanta (Let alone, Fisher, Thornton...)

CONS:
- Glad we didn't have to find out how we would have gone if they had kicked straight in the 1st half.
- Worried that we will follow our 2010 pattern and lose next week!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

Pros

Finally getting the chance to see the Bomber supporters leaving halfway through the last quarter. GOLD! :thanks:
Many players did many things they hadn't been doing for a month. It's all between the ears at this level.
Ellard and Robo set the tone about getting their hands on the ball first nomatter what the consequences to their physical wellbeing.

Cons

Scotto early was woeful with his decision making and execution.
Carrots was good but he still runs in circles far to often for mine. Take the @#$% 1st option for goodness sake!
Bower thinking he was going to get an umpire to change his mind. Hasn't happened in 120 yrs so won't happen now.

Congrats to the Club for tonights effort. Again the bench mark has been set. Players who finally put their head over the ball tonight now have to put it over the ball at every contest from now on. This is 110% non-negotiable!

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:59 pm 
Trevor Keogh

Round 19 Pros and Cons

Getting the ball helps
Having a dip helps
Pressuring the corridor (it only took 6 times!) helps
Playing a crappy scum team also helps

And ‘poof’, the crisis is gone.

But surely it must not be forgotten. We have a near perfect record against bottom 6 and that is all that should really be reflected on thus far.

PROS

1. WARNOCK! Yeeha, best game for the club. Some Harry Madden like taps. Marks and clearances. More please. Well done to Hammer for a few grabs too.

2. The hard and classless set the tone – Ellard, Robbo, Hadley had great tough games, despite Hadley’s 2 or 3 Brock McLean ‘I can’t dispose’ impersonations (and Watson killed Hads early).

3. Judd, Simmo, Scotland – 3 leaders. Judd immense. They tagged simmo early but he rose to the top. Scotto should be acknowledged.

4. Waite – Should never play anywhere else. Great game. Missed a few one on one grabs when he had the sit, but kept working when it hit the deck.

5. You may not believe this, but after 6 attempts against Essendon* we protected the corridor and forced turnovers in the corridor. How about that??? They’ve had one tactic for 2 years and we finally caught on. Surprise surprise we won.

Special mentions to Murph Gibbs and Carrots who stood up.

CONS

1. Bower and Jammo in the first 3 quarters played too far behind their men and were outmarked. Must be tighter.

2. This performance is an even bigger indictment on the last 2 months. Where has this intensity been? How can you not bring that every week? Better late than never I guess.

3. When we play tough we seem to get sucked into stupid frees and 50’s. We must learn to be aggressive without giving away cheap rubbish goals, even though umpires save their worst for Carl Ess games.

4. Still rely heavily on Judd when the game is in the balance. Others tend to rise to the top once the great man has led the way.

5. Great to hand it to those scum sooks – but the club has shown a penchant for getting sucked in by a short addictive highs. They are 12th. The club has serious issues with off field leadership and the match committee that must be addressed and this mustn’t be glossed over.

Well a fun night for once.

Come on the dark blues.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:02 am 
Wayne Johnston

Pro:- The way the Club, coach and players reacted since 4.45pm last saturday.
- Effort. Makes a lot of difference.
- Warnoch
- Murphy
- Vibe amongst the players and coach all game.

Con: - I am not one to really blame the umpires. I see an umpire decision as just a random moment in the game that could go either way but tonight i feared for the game. The sort of decisions that could have been completely ignored. Stuff that didnt even involve football were being pulled out and it all got to much for my zen approach. So the umpires are a massive con.
- with Bower short of fitness and touch and jamo struggling our defense is going to need a lot of pretection for the rest of the season. Winning the clearances is key, then spotting up the short leads just over center then kicking it in over the line and keeping it in. If it comes out make it slow and on our terms so we can set up to defend as a team.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:03 am 
Trevor Keogh

Cazzesman wrote:
Ellard and Robo set the tone

simonverbeek wrote:
2. The hard and classless set the tone – Ellard, Robbo, Hadley

Just submitted my post and saw this above - look at the post times, written at the same instance.

Are you reading my mind!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:06 am 
Rod Ashman

Pros:

Highest score and greatest winning margin for the year

Warnock

Run and carry - breaking lines

Cons:

Leaving Gibbs in the backline all night - should have let him join the part after half time

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:07 am 
Trevor Keogh

I didn't mention Grigg - fantastic.

WOuld be devastated to lose him to GC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:11 am 
Geoff Southby

Pro : Carrots woohooo in Monfries face after his goal in the last qtr :grin: :grin: :grin:

Con : umpiring was an absolute disgrace.

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:13 am 
Rod Ashman

PROS:

If Grigg's celebration after his last quarter goal is any indication of anything, he doesn't want to leave the Blues. And boy do I hope he stays!

I know jack sh!t about footy! I NEVER ever thought we could do that. I thought there was nothing left in this group. The last few weeks, culminating in last weeks capitulation, showed to me that we were done. Stick a fork in us. What can I say though, my emotions get the better of me

CONS:

Davies not up to it (yet)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:14 am 
Ken Hunter

killpies wrote:
Pro : Carrots woohooo in Monfries face after his goal in the last qtr :grin: :grin: :grin:

Oh yes almost forgot about this one!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:14 am 
Garry Crane

killpies wrote:
Carrots woohooo in Monfries face after his goal in the last qtr :grin: :grin: :grin:

I'm almost certain that was Stanton actually. They had a few asides off the ball tonight, but it was good to see Carrazzo step up to the level expected and required. It gives you the right to let your opponent know about it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:15 am 
Horrie Clover

FWIW....I know Ratts likes his stats... so hows this for one that I heard tonight...

In our 10 wins the 3 amigos have kicked 60 goals..

In our 9 losses they have kicked just 25.

Not reliant on them... much

Great win by the boys...

I have told my father-in-law who has knocked my faith in Shaun Hampson that his initials are such as one day he'll be known as "Sticky Hands'... He is starting to hold the grabs and once more marks stick and he learns to kick he could be anything...

Robbie Warnock.. great to see he has had two very good games in a row.. Still missing some fitness I think, but that will come with a full pre-season.

David Ellard really growing on me.. Yes, he isn't a world beater.. but who has 22 a graders? He gives his all...

Robbo... he reminds me of a fart under the covers... you just can't get away from him and he'd just annoy anyone in his vacinity.

Davies.. I felt that while he was often where the ball was (which is a good sign) and was happy to get a game into him.. he is maybe not just AFL ready.. seemed a second off the pace throughout and hopefully will grasp the tempo with time.

As for the not so goods... Paul Bower needs to find form... FAST.. he is very important to the future of CFC but after a pre-season where he was hyped up, he has shown very little and has gone back to his hold indecisive habits when he gets the ball.

As for the umpiring.. has there ever been a worse performance??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:20 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Steel wrote:
killpies wrote:
Carrots woohooo in Monfries face after his goal in the last qtr :grin: :grin: :grin:

I'm almost certain that was Stanton actually. They had a few asides off the ball tonight, but it was good to see Carrazzo step up to the level expected and required. It gives you the right to let your opponent know about it.

I think you're right, i just rewound it and i cant tell if it is a 5 or a 6 but it looks more like stanton. Either way love to see him in their face.

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:20 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Blue Steel wrote:
killpies wrote:

Yes it was Stanton and I reckon Carrots should be more worried about replicating his efforts from tonight than showboating.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:21 am 
Horrie Clover

Sorry... I also forgot to add..

My highlight of the night was a Carlton supporter who sits near me at the games (and reads this site) had just waved "bye bye" to an Essendon* fan who'd been giving him a tought time all night.. After the Essendon* supporter snaps back with a comment, the rest of the discussion goes like this...

Blues Supporter: "Do you have foxtel?"
Bombers Fan: "Of Course I do!"
Blues Supporter: "Good, then your can watch you team get smashed twice in a night when you watch the replay"

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:26 am 
Harry Vallence

PROS:
finally beat the scum
showed some ticker

CONS:
that is now expected week in, week out, regardless of scoreboard
monFREES still getting goals from bullcrap free-kicks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:27 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Amazing what 100% effort in all areas can do........chase even when you may not get there, commit to getting the loose ball at all costs, shepherd, support, block, harrass, get in their face, don't worry about the umps etc etc. Surely this sets the bar for the rest of the year.

Pros

206....was one of the few to be ok against the Pies, and was just great tonight. Memories of Harry :donk:
206 & Hammer taking pack marks around the ground. So refreshing to see :thumbsup:
Ellard is improving each game. Deserves to keep his spot.
Murphy's second half was superb, and he chased as well :wink:
The great man led from the front, just a special player :clap:
Hendo kept presenting......loved the no look give :clap:
Jeffy :donk: :donk:
Grigg - like Ellard & Hammer & 206 - just getting better with game time. Very important big bodied player, and kept his feet in some crucial contests.
No weak links tonite :razz:
Gee its great to be able to post PRos for a change. It's been a while.
Oh....finally beat the Scum :beer: :beer: :beer:

Cons
Disgraceful umpiring, first half especially. Just embarrassing really
Picked the Scum, so no Whopper for me this week (that might be a Pro ?)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next