Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:24 am 
Ken Hunter

Just posted on the AFL website that finally Jeff has received a nomination. Fully deserved and he should really be talked about as one the favourites to win it. What a great pick up and a really good story. Well done Jeff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:28 am 
Robert Walls

Well done Jeffy.
Thought Carrazzo was a bit stiff all the same.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:15 am 
Ken Hunter

Wild Blue Yonder wrote:
Well done Jeffy.
Thought Carrazzo was a bit stiff all the same.

Well done to Jeffy and Swan Districts FC who really got him onto our radar and gave him a lot of support. :thumbsup:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:16 am 
Rod Ashman

is Carrazzo eligible?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 am 
Rod Ashman

Excellent work Jeffy! :thumbsup:

I agree a huge chance to get the award for the year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 am 
Garry Crane

30 odd goals this year in what's widely regarded as one of the hardest possies to play. I agree that he should be getting more noise made about his performances.

I was a bit miffed as to why he wasn't even mentioned on "On the Couch" last night when Lindsay Thomas got paraded around for his 7 against us. I said to a mate at teh Nth game that it would be the last time Thomas kicks 7 goals.

Garlett is one of my fave players this year. Undoubtedly he has improved in just about all areas. I think he could become another mid for us too if the 1st qtr pick up, pause and pass to Carrazzo that resulted in Judd's goal is an indication.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:14 am 
Ken Hunter

Well done Little Jeffy!

He's been one of my favourites too this year. Pretty consistent overall when you consider he's only played a handful of games and I just love it when he tackles opposition players and they look surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Does buddy have any more cousins????

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:42 pm 
Ken Hands

Well done Jeffey u r a GUN.

Said it a number of times already but geez he reminds me of Michael Long ... my overall most hated player ever ... BUT .... wished he was one of us.

GO MICHAEL Jr.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:42 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

ryan2000 wrote:
Does buddy have any more cousins????

:lol:

I hear that Lance Franklin is Jeffy's cousin.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:46 pm 
Bob Chitty

Well done Jeffy G :clap:

All you need to do now is head to my mum n dads house in the pre-season for some good old fashioned italian "fattening up"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Well deserved honour.

This is a beauty of a rookie pick.
So far I have him ahead of Yarran in development. Hopefully that gives Chris the spur to make himself better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:23 pm 
Bert Deacon

buzzaaaah wrote:
Well deserved honour.

So far I have him ahead of Yarran in development. Hopefully that gives Chris the spur to make himself better.

Amazed we got him so cheaply. Great pick.
Anyone know if he was on any other clubs radar? or what the general opinion of him before the draft was?

Having him and Yarran will help both of them develop as they played for the same club and now live together...also the friendship with Eddie Betts has seen them all improve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

jt wrote:
Anyone know if he was on any other clubs radar? or what the general opinion of him before the draft was?

I think he may have been considered too much trouble. I read a really good article about him last year (in The Age, I think).
He was living in a car/homeless. He used to rock up to games at Swan Districts and had not eaten for days, so someone at the club would buy him a pie from the canteen and he would play. That's why he was so skinny.
A massive effort to become an AFL footballer. Imagine what he's going to be like in a couple of years, with more pre-seasons and good nutrition.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:05 pm 
Craig Bradley

Its really an incredible story and speaks volumes of the positive part that sport can play in a kids life.

Well done to the club for taking a punt and giving the kid a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

Stamos wrote:
jt wrote:

I think he may have been considered too much trouble. I read a really good article about him last year (in The Age, I think).
He was living in a car/homeless. He used to rock up to games at Swan Districts and had not eaten for days, so someone at the club would buy him a pie from the canteen and he would play. That's why he was so skinny.
A massive effort to become an AFL footballer. Imagine what he's going to be like in a couple of years, with more pre-seasons and good nutrition.

Jeff Garlett finds home at Carlton

Quote:
"He's a real good kid, but, if he didn't have footy, I'd hate to think where he might have ended up,"

"He's a kid that's been bumped here, there and everywhere in the past few years. It was great to see someone give him a chance.

"I think his circumstances off the field made a lot of people (clubs) shy away.

"I used to say to a few people, 'Imagine him in the AFL system if he can play like he plays without eating properly, no regular home'.

"Jeff is the perfect example of the problems an indigenous kid faces in Perth without his family."

"He had been by himself in Perth for quite a while without any consistent accommodation.

"He'd come here (the club) on match days and might not have had a proper meal for a couple of days, and we would have to take him into the canteen and give him a roll.

"He needed lifts to and from training, he struggled to hold a job because he didn't have a licence. He hasn't had it easy off the field."

"I genuinely believe if he didn't get picked up and given a chance (in the AFL), he would have been back in the bush in a couple of years.

"Everything's been hard for him except footy, which has come natural to him."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

good on him. Seems like a really well natured guy and I hope he can become a 10 year player. :thumbsup:

Will he poll a few votes?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

Congrats Jeff...............deserves this award.............but ya gotta keep it going kid ! there is a saying...'brightly burning stars burn brightly briefly'.............dont let that be you Jeff........
The greatest aboriginal player to pull on the boots for us was that incomparable No5.Eddie,Chris,and Jeff have a great role model to aspire to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

jt wrote:
buzzaaaah wrote:
Well deserved honour.

Having him and Yarran will help both of them develop as they played for the same club and now live together...also the friendship with Eddie Betts has seen them all improve

IIRC he was training with the Hawks prior to the rookie draft, which suited us fine as we had the earlier pick.
I think our recruiters went on an early holiday knowing they would pick him with our 1st rookie pick and the rest were used to re-rookie the likes of Pfeifer, Hill et al.

C-Man should be able to confirm this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:10 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Rumour has it, the media asked Jeffy to put the NRS Nomination trophy down as they couldn't see him when holding it up.