Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

TheSwan wrote:
geez I can't remember the last time the club was under so much pressure for one single game. Crazy

Last Saturday I reckon.

That's the worry Swan - we've seemingly had so many "line in the sand" games lately
who's knows whether or not they will be "on" tonight.

Still, sooner or later we're going to turn it around, so tonights as good as any to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

buzzaaaah wrote:
Lurker Blue wrote:
Source or STFU Damo.

No journo can ever reveal their sources. But I say Bernaise.

It was the Hollandaise that stumped Callum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:06 pm 
Rod Ashman

Quote:
But that's the key though Kev - you understand that there are things outside of physical ability which can make or break a player.

BlueRob on the other hand just keeps banging on about a team of "unskilled hacks" which is clearly wrong. Unlike your golf, where you can fluke a good shot here and there, you can't fluke entire games of great disposal and then just lose all your skill and ability entirely the following week. It is still there, but something is preventing it from happening.

Is it mental fragility?
Is it a lack of understanding of the game plan?
Is it a crap game plan that doesn't work?
Is it a game plan that is hard to implement successfully against certain other types of game plans?
Is it that the players don't have enough leadership?
Is it because the core of our playing group is too young?
Is it that the players find it hard to play for their coach or each other?

My guess is that it is a combination of all of the above to varying degrees.

BlueRob however thinks that the simple reality is that we just need to get some more skilled players :roll:

At least he could add an ounce of merit to his argument by admitting that it may have something to do with things other than just skill.

I agree with all your "Is it" points, Mil, and could maybe add one or two more, ("Is it because key players are carrying
injuries that don't keep them off the park but prevent them from performing at their best").

Still have a small point of contention though with how significant our big wins are. I don't think that anyone would
argue that it's part of the human condition to perform better at some times than at others. "Form" in all sports seems
to come and go and sometimes no one can figure out why. Not enough practise. Too much practise. Not focussed enough
on opponents. Too focussed on opponents. And so on.

This year we've had some terrific games and some very poor ones. So which is the true Carlton of 2010? Did we have a core
of players who just happened to be in top form at the same time earlier in the year and how we're playing now is really where
we're at? Or is the opposite true. Are we really going places with this list and they're just in a temporary slump? I don't think
any of us can say for sure, but I'd be wary of putting too much store in what they did a few times early in the year. It might
have been just an aberration, (like my good golf shots :smile: )

The best teams have a high % of players who are very bankable almost every week. We might have a list that will develop into
just that and #17 might then be within reach. But equally our list might be littered with on-again off-again types who will never develop the consistency required to go all the way. Time will tell and it will be very interesting at the end of the year to see who is persisted with and who isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:35 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I think most of us realise Ratts has to turn things around quickly, we don't need DB to play Captain Obvious. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:39 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Stamos wrote:
Barrett is the guy who said Gibbs was off to the Gold Coast about 2 weeks before he signed. He has zero credibility.

And an insanely small nose. I can't stop looking at it when he's on telly. His mouth moves but I hear no sound

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

LMAO. Barrett comes out and says what so many on here have wanted to hear....and gets taken to the cleaners. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

I bet his glasses are fake to try and make him look smart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
LMAO. Barrett comes out and says what so many on here have wanted to hear....and gets taken to the cleaners. :lol:

:clap:

Well played sir.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:01 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Looks like Ratten now has another 4 weeks to convince the board.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:34 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Maybe next time you'll follow Hutchy and chase the Ambulance.

Tool!

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:01 am 
Horrie Clover

This Barrett bloke is a peanut.

The Carlton board is very keen on Ratts and have a process that is not expected to deliver the flag for another 4 years. Actually its when Gibbs and Murphy are 25-26 years old.

Challenge is to continue to build talent.

This year you would should pick KPP. We have the mid field and runners covered by this years group. Looks like Lucas and Davies will replace Houlihan and Scotland. Also next year will deliver Dylan Buckley.

Also Thornton and Fisher have probably played last games in Blues.

Also add to the list Anderson, Johnson and Tiller and a few others.

Will be very easy off season this year.

Maybe we should look to trade out Jacobs as well.

Maybe the d**mb press should get the stories right

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:50 am 
Rod Ashman

Barret is no pea nut. Limping into the finals is not good enough. We need more than wins over Brisbane Westcoast Essendon* and Richmond

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:13 am 
Ken Hunter

Michael Jezz wrote:
Barret is no pea nut. Limping into the finals is not good enough. We need more than wins over Brisbane Westcoast Essendon* and Richmond

What a narrow minded, short sighted thing to say. Looking at the big picture wouldn't it make more sense to get more finals experience into our young players than less. The team is up and down like a rollar coaster so the only way to get some consistency is play more games. Your attitude is just one of selfishness because you can't stand the though we might get beaten in the 1st final again.

So if we limp into the finals as you say, and then win the 1st game you are going to be even less happy. Spare me sad sack. :mad: :mad:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

Cazzesman wrote:
Michael Jezz wrote:

What a narrow minded, short sighted thing to say. Looking at the big picture wouldn't it make more sense to get more finals experience into our young players than less. The team is up and down like a rollar coaster so the only way to get some consistency is play more games. Your attitude is just one of selfishness because you can't stand the though we might get beaten in the 1st final again.

So if we limp into the finals as you say, and then win the 1st game you are going to be even less happy. Spare me sad sack. :mad: :mad:

Regards Cazzesman

I will be rapt if I get to see us play a final in the first week and it would be a great effort if we win one. What I said was limping into the finals with wins over brisbane, westcoast, Essendon* and Richmond and then losing may not save Ratten.
I wouldn't be calling Barrett a pea nut.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

Barrett might not be a peanut, but his job at Crocmedia is to take over from Hutchie's on-camera role... so he really needs to be coming up with sensationalist stuff on a regular basis.

Much of this reportage will, by necessity, not necessarily be the whole truth. So while Barrett is a smart guy, that won't stop him from coming up with footy show bullshit 'scoops' to feed the masses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:30 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Michael Jezz wrote:

:lol:

That comment would only be relevant if Damo was offering an opinion on whether Ratten's position should be reviewed at the end of the season.

Any 'pea nut' could have been given this story. It doesnt make them intelligent.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

Scoops are easy. Journos rely on 'sources close to the club' ie someone catching a tram in Royal Pde. "Insiders who can't be named" ie we made the story up. Or you ask someone a question. ie "are Carlton considering sacking the coach?" when it is denied it is reported as: Carlton denies coach will be sacked, but insider say this or that.

It would be a cinch being a footy journo. Make stuff up and if 1 in 20 things happen, claim huge credit and all the things that don't - just ignore.

Anyway, having prematurely extended ratts contract the board are never going to sack him early unless things really go pear shaped.

I don't reckon Ratts has what it takes to be an outstanding coach but if we make the finals and get a home final (and maybe win it), he will have done really well in terms of what we expected at the start of the season. But we need to not regularly serve up the uncompetitive tripe that has been our hall mark over the last two months.

We can beat the Tiges and Freeo, play the swans at the G and win in the Elim final and I'll be pretty happy with our progress if that happens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

Michael Jezz wrote:

So what you're saying is the guy who said Gibbs was going to the Gold Coast less than two weeks before he re-signed with Carlton is not a peanut? Barret is perhaps the biggest peanut in the whole footballing media.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

Stamos wrote:
Michael Jezz wrote:

So what you're saying is the guy who said Gibbs was going to the Gold Coast less than two weeks before he re-signed with Carlton is not a peanut? Barret is perhaps the biggest peanut in the whole footballing media.

Close,but not quite..................Patrick Smith is the standout as far as peanuts go.Or in any category
for that matter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

The public get sucked in every single time. How on earth would Barrett know that Ratts has 4 weeks to prove himself? He didn't but it made sense to come up with that story considering the circumstances of the club on the field. We as humans love a good piece of goss, it's in our nature so the vast majority of people believe these stories exist. Therefore Barrett is infact, a peanut.

The only stories you should believe are ones that have happened.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next