Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 9:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:44 pm 
Robert Walls

Someone at another forum said he went to a function ?? recently and lots of recruiters were there and they said we had few tough nuts and a young fwdline and opp coaches had figured out our fwd game plan/structure

I place a lot of stock on this guys comments though I am taking a leap of faith in so far as believing his story is true

We got brock to be the tough nut and we have young hendo, yazz, garlett up fwd so I don't dispute this guys comments

But this doesn't excuse Ratten for being so far behind the ladder leaders given the diff in youth is not that extreme and Grigg is a tough goer onball who has been on the outter too long, and doesn't excuse us for having no fwd structure right now - if anything if opp coaches have figured us out then it is up to Ratts to react with a new structure and it is also up to Ratts to motivate the players --- cause he is the coach, right?

I would love to get Pav and there are rumours but geez we'd have to trade 2 yrs worth of picks and I am loath to trade away too many early picks given the next few drafts are buggered

I would start by trading Walks and Hammer and go to draft with 3 picks in top 35 if we can :arrow:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:46 pm 
Robert Walls

DIAMOTISM wrote:
Youth is the reason why we are soft.

Sorry that doesnt cut the mustard

Ratten himself spoke of how every Collingwood player goes in hard, and they had a lot of kids in their team

Sidebottom, Toovey etc these are slight players but they go in hard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:51 pm 
Garry Crane

VB...you are spot on !! I hear you loud & clear !!!!

And I have been saying these things for over 18 months now !!!

Some advice....don't beat yourself up banging your head against the brick wall that constitute a percentage of delusional TC posters....they will all be forced to see the light...some just see it sooner than others !!!!!

I feel your pain.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

Using Ratten can't coach is just your excuse to counter the youth excuse used to counter the Ratts excuse used to counter the youth excuse.....

Simple really.

I think Ratts can't coach is overrated.

Personally I'd rather see the whole board shift - new president etc...

then get tough with the co called assistant coaches

not excuses though

just as youth is not an excuse

nor is ratten can't coach

they are just opinions

but the Ratts can't coach brigade are just plain rude when it comes to trying to discuss other features of our troubles.

Ratts is not coaching well
His assistants are not helping
The president should never have extended his contract
and we are a young side!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sydney Blue wrote:
You can't drill hardness you have either got it or you haven't
Ratten could be the best coach in the world but if his players haven't got hardness at the ball you have no hope

No doubt we're soft but I think what's underestimated is the breakdown in the fabric of the club's playing list over the last 15 years. I long for the days of Ken Hunter, Wayne Johnston and Jim Buckley throwing their bodies off cliffs for the club. I haven't seen much from any Carlton player over the last 10+ years that remotely resembles the way those guys played - Adrian Hickmott's one of the few honourable exceptions since our last flag.

Sadly there was a moment in the history of the club where we not only melted down financially but also with list management and what we have now is a direct consequence of that. In the normal course of list building there's a hierachy within clubs. There are the guys who throw themselves in front of fast moving vehicles week after week (think Glenn Archer) whose actions if not very presence embarasses the new recruits into taking similar self sacrificing risks.

Around the turn of the century we lost that transition. At a time when we should have been passing on the hardness of the old timers to the newbies we had a bunch of self-interested, overpaid primadonnas like Allan, Beaumont and Camporeale looking out for themselves. From that point on it was all downhill and by the time we managed to get our hands on super talent like Murphy and Gibbs we didn't have anyone above them able to command their respect and show them what was necessary if they were ever going to make it to greatness.

So we tried to import it.

But Judd alone is not enough. As our lone hardnut he's easily seen by the other players as a freak. In the Carlton teams of the early 80s he would have been a very good player but probably not exceptional.

I've heard the phrase "When it's your time to go, you go!" mentioned a few times over the last couple of days. Sadly we have an entire generation who missed that class. Ryan Houlihan would have been a very different (and possibly great) player had he been recruited by Carlton in 1981.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:00 pm 
Robert Walls

Experience Comparison

Judd - Swan
Carrazzo - Johnson
Simpson - Ball
Betts - Davis
Scotland - Didak
Fisher - L.Brown
Waite - Maxwell
Warnock - Jolly (Jolly much older but 206 was good yesterday in ruck)
Cloke

Bower, Jamison - Toovey, N.Brown

Russell, Walker - O'Brien, Goldsack

Gibbs, Murphy - Thomas, Pendles

Hendo - Dawes
Yazz - Beams
Garlett - Macaffer
Hammer - Ried
Grigg - Sidebottom
Johnson -Wellingham
AJ - Blair
Ellard

Not much difference when you look at it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

Virgin Blue wrote:
On SEN today they were saying Ratten's moving waite to defense yesterday played straight into Pies' hands bec basically Ratten shat himself, loaded up down back, and reality is Pies are no.1 this year at the scrap in close - that is the hallmark of the game plan

SEN are fools: Waite was played back because we played something more akin to 1-on-1 football, and thus needed a legitimate chop out. Having said that, he performed poorly in this role.

I'd say Ratten was well aware of their contested ability, and told the players as much. Certainly seemed like they felt they had no chance of winning in close. I'd say that's poor communication on the part of both parties.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:04 pm 
Robert Walls

If it was 1 on 1 foot then why did we kick to 2 on 1s all day?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Virgin Blue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
You can't drill hardness you have either got it or you haven't
Ratten could be the best coach in the world but if his players haven't got hardness at the ball you have no hope

I felt like throwing up when I saw Leigh Brown taunting Warnock and hanging on to his jumper whilst Warnock tried to slap him away like a big girl Brown was just mocking him

you know your soft when the biggest blouse over the last 8 or so becomes your best defensive forward and his hardness is missed when out

We have sacrificed hardness for speed and skill???

You need your tough nuts we let Bentick Cloke Hartlett go and we don't play Wiggo Hadley and Robbo is in and out of the team

We need to play a season or two of tough lock down ugly football we need to become Sydney or St kilda for a year or two play out some nil all draws

Your hanging your hat on Bentick, Cloke and Hartlett???

LOL

So are you going to tell me what we have running around is much better

We are soft as butter these blokes dont have the football skills but they were hard at it

No one wants to see the player that lays 10 tackles a game or provides a block or a sheppard
They want to see Hoops hitting someone lace out they want to see bullet passes from Yarren they want to see Garlett tearing away from his opponent - Or Gibbs geeting 40 odd cheapies off half back

Give me a Kirk a Ling a Bolton a Selwood a Carr a Sewell a Bentick a Hadley a Swan a Hayes a Gram a Corey these are the blokes that win you games not the soft cocks we have running around each week

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

Virgin Blue wrote:

I'm looking at it, and I'm seeing quite the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:05 pm 
Garry Crane

this "blame the assistants" myth is absolute bial !

when the Aust government was imploding....W Swann wasn't the one who took the rap for the mining tax....the buck stopped with the boss, KRudd !

In business, when Telstra's share price and profits were dwindling, it was the CEO, big Sol Trujillo who took the rap.

And in a football club, where there is no semblance of game plan, kick out strategy, or forward structure....it has always been the head coach who gets the chop !!!

I loved Rats as a player....but why are people feeling the need to defend him at all costs.....the facts are there....He is in charge of a match committee and football list that is underperforming, listless and playing without any purpose or direction !

HE MUST TAKE RESPONSIBILITY !!!!! HE MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE !

When his replacement is appointed, he can then decide which of the other "assistants" should be retained ! That's how things work in the real world !!!!!

Last edited by livolover on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

Virgin Blue wrote:

When we were defending, we played something close to 1-on-1 footy. When we have the ball, we're not looking to defend, are we.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:06 pm 
Robert Walls

Fair call GWS

So, did we mistake hardness for toughness in Hads and Brock?

We have an issue here fellas

Tick tock tick tock Judd's not getting any younger

Nor is Waite

So, do we trade again for proven hardness but prob lacking pace?

Or do we bite the bullet and trade Walks, Hammer, TBird, Setanta for picks and just load up on some hard youth?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

Virgin Blue wrote:
I actually think the whole coaching panel needs to be looked up

Why is it you never hear any of our assistants being spoken of as a possible candidate for possible new head coach roles at other clubs?

Could it be bec they are no good?

Teague, Lappin, Harvey, Montgomery --- do any of these make u believe we can win a Flag one day??

One thing I can't stand is when ppl say "If u sack coach after coach you will end up like Richmond" bec what happens if all the coaches u hire are all hacks? It is possible you know. I don't think we have had a good coach for a long time

Interesting observation VB. Not something I'd thought of, but it stands out now that you mention it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:08 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Virgin Blue wrote:
Experience Comparison

Judd - Swan
Carrazzo - Johnson
Simpson - Ball
Betts - Davis
Scotland - Didak
Fisher - L.Brown
Waite - Maxwell
Warnock - Jolly (Jolly much older but 206 was good yesterday in ruck)
Cloke

Bower, Jamison - Toovey, N.Brown

Russell, Walker - O'Brien, Goldsack

Gibbs, Murphy - Thomas, Pendles

Hendo - Dawes
Yazz - Beams
Garlett - Macaffer
Hammer - Ried
Grigg - Sidebottom
Johnson -Wellingham
AJ - Blair
Ellard

Look at their list as a whole and the players that come before them. Go back as far as Betheras. Then look at ours and the players that have gone though our club. GWS has it right. We are virtually missing a generation.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:08 pm 
Robert Walls

jimmae wrote:
Virgin Blue wrote:

When we were defending, we played something close to 1-on-1 footy. When we have the ball, we're not looking to defend, are we.

No, it has nothing to do with attacking

Pies had loose man down back all game bec they know that is how to stop our fwd plan

Extra man down back does not equate with 1 on 1 footy mate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:11 pm 
Wayne Johnston

BigKev wrote:
Virgin Blue wrote:
I actually think the whole coaching panel needs to be looked up

Why is it you never hear any of our assistants being spoken of as a possible candidate for possible new head coach roles at other clubs?

Could it be bec they are no good?

Teague, Lappin, Harvey, Montgomery --- do any of these make u believe we can win a Flag one day??

One thing I can't stand is when ppl say "If u sack coach after coach you will end up like Richmond" bec what happens if all the coaches u hire are all hacks? It is possible you know. I don't think we have had a good coach for a long time

Interesting observation VB. Not something I'd thought of, but it stands out now that you mention it.

Bradley was mentioned for the port job. Riley got some sort of best assistant award last year. I get your point though Virg.
Id like to see some new assistants and ideas brought in for 2011.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:12 pm 
Robert Walls

Yeah look I am not disputing the hardness thing at all

It is not all about Ratten - I agree there no doubt

I do think though it if hardness is an issue it makes no sense leaving Grigg out for so long and playing Robbo some weeks and not others

Those 2 show promise and are Mids and are tough, so should be in every week

You cant have your cake and eat it

You talk about lack of hardness but then you excuse not playing Robbo and Grigg

Swallow wasn't a gun 2 yrs ago, but Roos persisted with him and got games into him

I have been wondering for some time why we don't stick young hard nuts like Grigg and Robbo on ball tpo the skip

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Virgin Blue wrote:
Experience Comparison

Judd - Swan Same Same
Carrazzo - Johnson Soft / Tough
Simpson - Ballsoft /Tough
Betts - Davissame /same
Scotland - Didak no comparison
Fisher - L.Brownsoft/tough
Waite - Maxwellstupid /smart
Warnock - Jolly (Jolly much older but 206 was good yesterday in ruck)young/exp
Cloke we have nothing to compare

Bower, Jamison - Toovey, N.Brownsame/same

Russell, Walker - O'Brien, Goldsack same /same

Gibbs, Murphy - Thomas, Pendles butter brigade

Hendo - Dawesyoung /youngish
Yazz - Beams skill/toughness
Garlett - Macaffer skinny/ tough
Hammer - Riedno idea / ok player
Grigg - Sidebottom same /same
Johnson -Wellingham soft / progressing
AJ - Blairon trick/ developing
Ellard struggles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:13 pm 
Bruce Doull

Virgin Blue wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Virgin Blue wrote:

No, it has nothing to do with attacking

Pies had loose man down back all game bec they know that is how to stop our fwd plan

Extra man down back does not equate with 1 on 1 footy mate

We had a loose man, they had a loose man, everyone else had a man. They rolled down a little bit more early on, we rolled down in the most useless fashion later on.

If you can't discern these aspects of a game, I'm not entirely sure what you're doing on a football forum. That's a genuine statement, not a pot shot.