Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: "Supporters"
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

Listening to talkback radio on the way home from the ground, I cannot believe how many of our so called supporters are willing to play the 'sack the coach' and 'sack the board' bullcrap. Fair dinkum, these are the same bastards that jump straight off at the hint of our season turning to crap, but then jump straight back on when our season starts to look better. "We will be absolutely putrid without Fevola in the team", "How are we supposed to win games without Brendan Fevola" and so on. The chances are some of you posters, who are never seen in the good times, but always seen in the wake of a loss, are the same morons who never even bought a membership in light of the Fevola saga, and the chances are that some of you are always in the thick of it in the good times but nowhere to be seen in the bad times. I'm never embarrassed to be a supporter of this proud club, but when our very own supporters carry on this way, it puts us ALL into that category of being a sore loser, and does nobody any favours.

The hosts of the talkback shows must rub their hands together with utter glee when Carlton have a loss, as they can always expect numbskulls to ring in with knee-jerk reactions on what should be happening and what shouldn't be happening. To the 'supporter' who called for Mark Williams to take over, they need to get their head read. How is it ANY coach's fault when the team are making basic skill errors? Was it Sheedy's fault in 1999 when his team, one of the most dominant teams of a few years, kicked 14.19 in the preliminary final? To blame the coach for a lack of basic skill execution is just lunacy. It's disturbing in the least that people can have such a shallow knowledge of footy to point fingers at the coach, and the administration, for these types of things.

Seeing our "members" walk out of the ground early, some in the third quarter, some in the last quarter, made me shake my head aswell. If you looked over at the members wing, by the final siren there were hardly any people left. I always think it is quite deceiving how Etihad Stadium show the official attendance in the last quarter, because by that time, many people have left the ground. The attendance shown on screen was 37 odd thousand, but at the time, I think a fair few thousand would have left. Next time they should do a 'before' and 'after' of attendance, to expose the early leavers. It was cold, I'll agree, nobody will deny that, not even myself who stood up the Lockett end with the gate behind blowing in draft from Port Phillip Bay. Some people might have had other places to be, but as for the majority, pull your damn heads in!
I'll leave you with this. Next week when we hand the Swans a drubbing, don't forget to jump back on the same way you always do, praise the coach, administration and board the same way you always do, talk up the top four and even a premiership the same way you always do, and stay around for a few rounds of the song, as if you never, ever doubted the team that you supposedly 'love'...

Footy is an emotional game, it brings out the emotion in even the least animated individuals, we hurt when the team loses, we feel a lift all week when the team wins, but this bandwagoning needs to stop.

"GIBBS."

Post subject: Re: "Supporters"
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:03 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Sack the Coach is your classic reaction. Happens in all sports all over the world. It is a mainstream reaction.
I dont think anyone wants to blame their heroes the players.

Best not to listen to talkback after a loss.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:09 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Sack Ratts
Sack Russell
Sack Sticks
Sack Houlihan
Sack Carlos
Sack anyone but Judd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:11 pm 
Rod McGregor

Captain Dan wrote:
Listening to talkback radio on the way home from the ground, I cannot believe how many of our so called supporters are willing to play the 'sack the coach' and 'sack the board' bullcrap. Fair dinkum, these are the same bastards that jump straight off at the hint of our season turning to crap, but then jump straight back on when our season starts to look better. "We will be absolutely putrid without Fevola in the team", "How are we supposed to win games without Brendan Fevola" and so on. The chances are some of you posters, who are never seen in the good times, but always seen in the wake of a loss, are the same morons who never even bought a membership in light of the Fevola saga, and the chances are that some of you are always in the thick of it in the good times but nowhere to be seen in the bad times. I'm never embarrassed to be a supporter of this proud club, but when our very own supporters carry on this way, it puts us ALL into that category of being a sore loser, and does nobody any favours.

The hosts of the talkback shows must rub their hands together with utter glee when Carlton have a loss, as they can always expect numbskulls to ring in with knee-jerk reactions on what should be happening and what shouldn't be happening. To the 'supporter' who called for Mark Williams to take over, they need to get their head read. How is it ANY coach's fault when the team are making basic skill errors? Was it Sheedy's fault in 1999 when his team, one of the most dominant teams of a few years, kicked 14.19 in the preliminary final? To blame the coach for a lack of basic skill execution is just lunacy. It's disturbing in the least that people can have such a shallow knowledge of footy to point fingers at the coach, and the administration, for these types of things.

Seeing our "members" walk out of the ground early, some in the third quarter, some in the last quarter, made me shake my head aswell. If you looked over at the members wing, by the final siren there were hardly any people left. I always think it is quite deceiving how Etihad Stadium show the official attendance in the last quarter, because by that time, many people have left the ground. The attendance shown on screen was 37 odd thousand, but at the time, I think a fair few thousand would have left. Next time they should do a 'before' and 'after' of attendance, to expose the early leavers. It was cold, I'll agree, nobody will deny that, not even myself who stood up the Lockett end with the gate behind blowing in draft from Port Phillip Bay. Some people might have had other places to be, but as for the majority, pull your damn heads in!
I'll leave you with this. Next week when we hand the Swans a drubbing, don't forget to jump back on the same way you always do, praise the coach, administration and board the same way you always do, talk up the top four and even a premiership the same way you always do, and stay around for a few rounds of the song, as if you never, ever doubted the team that you supposedly 'love'...

Footy is an emotional game, it brings out the emotion in even the least animated individuals, we hurt when the team loses, we feel a lift all week when the team wins, but this bandwagoning needs to stop.

:clap: QFT!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

What a lot of bull Captain Dan. The supporters have every right to call it as they see it when the writing is on the wall. The truth is the opposite to your view. Too many supporters have been looking through rose coloured glasses since 2007. Some, if you go through old posts last year saw the cracks appearing and started questioning Ratten. Yes skill execution has something to do with it but we have no forward or defensive structure. If it was'n't for these supporters calling the club to account it would likely keep on re-signing an average coaching panel and re-voting for a board who has done nothing since Pratt's passing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:16 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

:lol:

No forward structure.

Really? I wonder why?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

they should be paying us to watch that rubbish they dished up today!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:23 pm 
Garry Crane

here, here jezz!

enough is ENOUGH !

I am pleading with ratten (and lappin - how the hell did he land that job ?) to fall on their swords and allow the club that they both love to move forward !!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:24 pm 
Garry Crane

here, here jezz!

enough is ENOUGH !

I am pleading with ratten (and lappin - how the hell did he land that job ?) to fall on their swords and allow the club that they both love to move forward !!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:30 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Nice sentiments Dan, but there aren't many teams with supporters who wouldn't be fuming after such a pathetic display, and its not the only one we've had this season either. A win against the Swans won't do much for me, as they're just making up the numbers too this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:35 pm 
Ken Hunter

MIL wrote:
Nice sentiments Dan, but there aren't many teams with supporters who wouldn't be fuming after such a pathetic display, and its not the only one we've had this season either. A win against the Swans won't do much for me, as they're just making up the numbers too this year.

Yes. It wasn't a one-off thumping. We've sat through the same old shit against Essendon*, Hawthorn, North, Freo...supporter anger is pretty understandable.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:43 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

It's funny, this whole "let it be" argument.
There are some patently concerning signs that continuously repeat themselves and have been repeating themselves for almost 2 years now, and it is the supporters fault for not demanding answers.

Please ask yourself this and answer honestly- Do you think our current set up- (incl playing list, coaching panel, board) is good enough, professional enough and motivated enough to win a flag within the next few years?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:59 pm 
Craig Bradley

Captain Dan calls the venting of upset supporters as "knee-jerk reactions".

Does Captain Dan realise that mods have been closing 'Sack Ratten' type threads for 2 years now?

I agree there are some that go too far, but the other extreme are the one's that stick their head in the sand and pretend all is well with the belief that it makes them a superior form of supporter.

After all, it did take Mark Thompson 7 years at Geelong... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:32 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Josh Kaplan wrote:
It's funny, this whole "let it be" argument.
There are some patently concerning signs that continuously repeat themselves and have been repeating themselves for almost 2 years now, and it is the supporters fault for not demanding answers.

Please ask yourself this and answer honestly- Do you think our current set up- (incl playing list, coaching panel, board) is good enough, professional enough and motivated enough to win a flag within the next few years?

we make amateur football look professional....our biggest deficiencies are off field not on field...said it during the summer and will again come seasons end....get this part right and then we can move forward...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:44 am 
Horrie Clover

livolover wrote:
here, here jezz!

enough is ENOUGH !

+1

Dan - We won't beat the swans, and if we do, who cares, they are not going to win the gf this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:20 am 
Bruce Doull

There will always be supporters who vent on talkback.
And there’ll always be supporters who start threads like this :lol:

Takes all types.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:36 am 
Bert Deacon

I like all of you people am fuming at the loss yesterday.
I dont think its fair that Ratts is blamed solely for everything
Yes he selected Ohailpin AGAIN... how he is still playing AFL level is beyond me... but other than that last night was not his fault
The players, other than Armfield and Judd werent interested and werent up to it last night.
Murphy for one... i watched him closely, something wasnt right with him... he was running around without any intent. Yes he probably got 30 touches but not influential on the game.
We played with no heart, no physicality, its so frustrating to watch.
Im sure we will all cop a loss against a good side like the Bulldogs, but not to the extent we got embarrassed yesterday and not without our players having a *%^#$ go.
Get serious Blue Baggers, or we will very quickly find ourselves in the bottom 8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:10 am 
Bert Deacon

Supporters have every right to vent, scream, yell, hell even cry when they watch the team they love so much lay 12 tackles in a half of football.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:29 am 
formerly BlueRob

The problem wasn't the forward line ... the problem was everywhere ... pathetic skills .... nothing to do with coaches at this stage ... more to do with recruitment policy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:29 am 
Craig Bradley

Its funny when I hear the knee yerk reactions, crap happens in sport and yesterday was crap, no doubt about it, wins against the Swans and West Coast will have everyone happy.

I remember back in my last season as a triathlete, I started the season terribly, had three or four really bad races and everyone was saying I was washed up, a hack etc. Went away regrouped, focused on what needed to be done, came out and finished the season in my best form ever and qualified for the World Championships.

Learnt a lesson from that. Never freak out about the short term mishaps, stick to the plan and the results will come.

L.M 35-06