Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mick Malthouse
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

Isn't he contracted to Collingwood?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:43 pm 
Robert Walls

Sydney Blue wrote:
If I was Ratts I would ask Wayne Brittain to become an assistant

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

99prelim wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
If I was Ratts I would ask Wayne Brittain to become an assistant

+1

If i was Ratts i would stand on my own two feet.Ratts is a grown man who needs to make his own mark.If he needs others to prop him up then he is not the man for the job.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:31 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Mick- I love your passion.
But
Quote:
If i was Ratts i would stand on my own two feet.Ratts is a grown man who needs to make his own mark.If he needs others to prop him up then he is not the man for the job.
is one of the more pressing quotes I have seen.

Ratts is a lovely guy, but his coaching is riddled with indecision. He second guesses himself, and does not address players with any semblance of authority. There may be a muffled respect among the playing group for Ratten, but this does not translate into the necessary hunger for success- an essential ingredient for any team.

I get the feeling Ratts does not back his own ability to take this team by the scruff of the neck and lead them to our 17th flag. He was one of the best on field leaders I have ever seen play, but sadly modern football and the machinations involved are a bridge too far for him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Josh Kaplan wrote:
But
Quote:

Ratts is a lovely guy, but his coaching is riddled with indecision. He second guesses himself, and does not address players with any semblance of authority. There may be a muffled respect among the playing group for Ratten, but this does not translate into the necessary hunger for success- an essential ingredient for any team.

I get the feeling Ratts does not back his own ability to take this team by the scruff of the neck and lead them to our 17th flag. He was one of the best on field leaders I have ever seen play, but sadly modern football and the machinations involved are a bridge too far for him.

If you're suggesting he hasn't hauled them over the coals and told individuals what he thought of their performances - you're wrong. Pure and simple. Ratten's problem isn't understanding the modern game - theoretically, he's very astute. The problem IMO is getting his message across to his young charges. I'm also of the opinion that there are 5 players on our senior list who cannot be coached. It's just too much for them to comprehend at this level. There are others who are just plain lazy. They might also have an elevated opinion of themselves...and of course, the coaching staff are horribly reactive during play.

Look...I'll defend Brett Ratten the person until the cows come home. I'll also defend him when he's wrongfully labeled clueless - the guy has more than a clue. Can he fix it? I'm not sure. It's tough when the players aren't playing for him. We're up against a team this weekend whose players play for their coach week in week out. We need that commitment from the playing group at Carlton. The jury is out as to whether Brett Ratten the coach can provide that level of commitment from the playing list.

Gotta understand the message...Gotta believe the message...Gotta believe the man it's coming from.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

aido wrote:
If Ratten is the man for he job then get him some much needed experience. Mark Williams director of coaching/development role and Dean Laidley as opposition coach/tactician.

Williams can coach from the bench addressing players.

Ratten and Laids working from the box on moves.

Or just give Ratten the flick and have Williams coaching from the bench and Laids working from the box on match day.

:lol:

You want to add two pathetic list managers to a club which has shown it's already fragile at the trade table?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
I'm also of the opinion that there are 5 players on our senior list who cannot be coached. It's just too much for them to comprehend at this level. There are others who are just plain lazy. They might also have an elevated opinion of themselves...and of course, the coaching staff are horribly reactive during play.

Who are they IYO Dr?

Carrots and Setanta come to mind. Mitch Robinson a candidate. AJ given the way he confuses his ambitions with his ability. Shaun Grigg.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:51 pm 
Garry Crane

you said it yourself doc......"gotta believe the message"!!!!

how could you possibly believe the message ????

we dominate the game, win the clearance count, get more inside 50's but lose on the scoreboard....not sure the message is the right one ....

And anyway, what message is rats sending????? Do we play like collingwood/saints and control possession, force stoppages with numbers behind....or do we play like geelong/ess/melb and try to use the corridor at all costs ????

Our "message" changes every week !!!!!

Yes...I loved rats as a player !
Yes...I'm sure he is a lovely bloke !
Yes....I'm convinced he loves Carlton !!

But NOOOOOOOOO.....he hasn't displayed the knowhow or expertise to coach a successful AFL side !!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:54 pm 
Rod McGregor

Effes wrote:
aido wrote:
If Ratten is the man for he job then get him some much needed experience. Mark Williams director of coaching/development role and Dean Laidley as opposition coach/tactician.

Or just give Ratten the flick and have Williams coaching from the bench and Laids working from the box on match day.

You want to add two pathetic list managers to a club which has shown it's already fragile at the trade table?

Yeah cause the Brad SCott hand picked the entire kangas list in his one season.

and Choco Williams isn't one of the most successful coaches for some time.

Your exact response just reflects how our club is traveling and run right now

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:59 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

aido wrote:
Effes wrote:
aido wrote:

Yeah cause the Brad SCott hand picked the entire kangas list in his one season.

and Choco Williams isn't one of the most successful coaches for some time.

Your exact response just reflects how our club is traveling and run right now

Jay Nash
Josh Carr
Jay Schulz
Jason Davenport
Scott Harding
Cameron Cloke
Danny Meyer

Ben Davies
Sam Power
Jonathan Hay
Leigh Brown
Kasy Green

They both love drafting hacks - have learnt very little from teams in the past making the same mistakes. I don't want them anywhere near our club.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:01 pm 
Rod Ashman

Would love to have John Worsefold back at the club as an assistant. If he gets his marching orders from West Coast this year, then the club just have to pounce on him. Unforgivable if the opportunity comes up to get him back in the fold and no action is taken.

"GIBBS."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Captain Dan wrote:
Would love to have John Worsefold back at the club as an assistant. If he gets his marching orders from West Coast this year, then the club just have to pounce on him. Unforgivable if the opportunity comes up to get him back in the fold and no action is taken.

I believe the biggest complaint of WC supporters is that Worsfold hasn't improved the disposal of their players.

And the development of their young players has stagnated.

I'm not sure that Worsfold would be the right fit for a club with similar problems.

Worsfold will win the spoon.

Imagine the reaction to that appointment if we struggled under Woosha...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

verbs wrote:
Yup club29. Pagan had plenty of success with North with a successful game plan blah blah blah. He was old and dogmatic and the Carlton players couldn't stand him and he was an outstanding failure. Pretty sure Malthouse would follow suit. Old. Dogmatic. Successful (back when Pagan was). Good with kids. Etc etc blah blah blah. He wouldn't win over our players. Would move on others. Will be constantly :roll: ed and we would go backwards another decade.

Old fashioned thinking.

What a ridiculous comment. :screwy:

So what you're really saying is that our players are a bunch of prima donas and princesses, who don't take well to discipline, pride or team ethics. The tail really wags the dog at CFC.
Better for the club to have a coach who the players can manipulate. I've actually lost interest this season, which is not a good thing.
The players need to take more responsibility for their own inept performances, stop arguing amongst themselves on the ground, and play with a bit of bloody passion :mad:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

Josh Kaplan wrote:
But
Quote:

Josh...........your initial post was about securing Malthouse as our senior coach....................my initial response was my total opposition against that.................with regard to Brett standing on his own two feet,i stick by that.The coach is the one who steers the ship.Anybody else who assists the coach is secondary.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

surely woosha as an assistant is a better option than lappin!

what are lappin's credentials?
has he coached before?
was he a real leader?
how did he honestly get the job?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:44 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Mark J wrote:
verbs wrote:
Yup club29. Pagan had plenty of success with North with a successful game plan blah blah blah. He was old and dogmatic and the Carlton players couldn't stand him and he was an outstanding failure. Pretty sure Malthouse would follow suit. Old. Dogmatic. Successful (back when Pagan was). Good with kids. Etc etc blah blah blah. He wouldn't win over our players. Would move on others. Will be constantly :roll: ed and we would go backwards another decade.

Old fashioned thinking.

So what you're really saying is that our players are a bunch of prima donas and princesses, who don't take well to discipline, pride or team ethics. The tail really wags the dog at CFC.
Better for the club to have a coach who the players can manipulate. I've actually lost interest this season, which is not a good thing.
The players need to take more responsibility for their own inept performances, stop arguing amongst themselves on the ground, and play with a bit of bloody passion :mad:

How can what I be saying, if true, be ridiculous? :?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

livolover wrote:
you said it yourself doc......"gotta believe the message"!!!!

how could you possibly believe the message ????

we dominate the game, win the clearance count, get more inside 50's but lose on the scoreboard....not sure the message is the right one ....

And anyway, what message is rats sending????? Do we play like collingwood/saints and control possession, force stoppages with numbers behind....or do we play like geelong/ess/melb and try to use the corridor at all costs ????

Our "message" changes every week !!!!!

Yes...I loved rats as a player !
Yes...I'm sure he is a lovely bloke !
Yes....I'm convinced he loves Carlton !!

But NOOOOOOOOO.....he hasn't displayed the knowhow or expertise to coach a successful AFL side !!!!!

The only message Ratts seems to understand are Champion Data stats......always bloody refering to them. Sad and embarrassing really. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

verbs wrote:
Mark J wrote:
verbs wrote:

Old fashioned thinking.

You have a hunch that it would be the same scenario with Malthouse.... so it must be true! :confused: :confused:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:53 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Mark J wrote:
verbs wrote:
Mark J wrote:

You have a hunch that it would be the same scenario with Malthouse.... so it must be true! :confused: :confused:

Who says I have a hunch? :confused: :confused: :confused:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Neither Malthuse nor Williams please.
We have Ratts who may be still learning but the other two I could NOT stand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next