Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: The Armfield trade
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:50 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Kennedy Masten and Notte for Dennis Armfield is looking like a pretty fair trade for both clubs.
Well done to our blokes for organising that trade :thumbsup:

Discuss. :grin:

Post subject: Re: The Armfield trade
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:14 am 
Ken Hunter

And to get the trade done WC threw in Juddy to sweaten the deal :lol: :lol:

I like your thinking. Army has been a gem and is only getting better. :thumbsup:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:17 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Cazzesman wrote:
And to get the trade done WC threw in Juddy to sweaten the deal :lol: :lol:

I like your thinking. Army has been a gem and is only getting better. :thumbsup:

Regards Cazzesman

:steakknives:

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:28 am 
Bruce Doull

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:29 am 
Harry Vallence

His foot skills have in the past let him down, but he clearly has been working hard - that dash through the middle and centimetre perfect pass to Garfield (?) in quarter two, was a gem! He is certainly looking like he belongs out there.

Go you good thing.

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:37 am 
Ken Hunter

if i was a kid again taking speccies and kicking goals in the backyard, I think Army would be the player most often running around in my head as I ran around in the back yard.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:01 am 
Bruce Doull

WC won the Judd deal

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:54 am 
Craig Bradley

Donstuie wrote:
WC won the Judd deal

i'd say once all players involved have hung up the boots both clubs will look back and think the trade worked out well for them.

wc were on the way down and without the trade would've hung around the middle for a bit then probably bottomed out at a bad time, instead they were able to stock up with youngsters such as kennedy, masten, naitanui, sheppard, shuey and swift, none of which they would have had without the judd trade.

as for us, i believe judd was a major turnaround for us off-field and in the development of our other players who were severely lacking senior leadership, and don't doubt the importance of that for one second. and then there's the bit where he's improved us on-field 10-fold and allowed the likes of murphy and gibbs to develop without being smashed week in week out. and i still have hope in me that judd could even lead us to a premiership by the end of his career if everything falls our way. and then there's armfield :thumbsup:

Last edited by true_blue3 on Mon Sep 26, 1981 5:07 pm; edited 92 times in total

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:06 am 
Bruce Doull

I dunno tb3, I reckon they would have had Shepherd, Shuey & Swift regardless.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I think Don was joking.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:10 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The 2010 Dennis Armfield is very different to the 2008/2009 Dennis Armfield. By his own admission, Army was content to hang off the back at training, not go to the front of the group and start the drill for fear of @#$%&! up. This year, he's taken it upon himself to learn more about his role, the gameplan, where he fits into it, ask for additional feedback and translate his training effort into match day form.

The 2010 Dennis Armfield is particularly evident when the team doesn't have the ball. Take your eyes off the ball carrier and watch Armfield. He used to prop, look left and right and left again like he was in a Hector the Cat commercial and wonder exactly where he should be. In 2010, he goes to the right spot almost immediately, moves to the correct side of his opponent at a stoppage and is now aware of protecting the space as well as his opponent.

That West Coast handed over pick 46 in that trade is important. It doesn't look as though Tony Notte is going to come on as they would have hoped. He's still only 20 (same age as Lachie Henderson), but still very light on and too light for senior footy at that height. This year, Swan Districts have been playing the kid at CHB, in the ruck and up forward. That was pick 20 used for a tall skinny forward when the Eagles possibly should have gone for East Perth boy Tayte Pears given they had already acquired a tall forward in Josh Kennedy.

When Kennedy was traded, he told family and friends that he wanted to hopefully come back to Carlton and play for them again. Now he's enjoying Perth and is an integral part of an Eagles side on the rise, that's no longer the case. Watching JK dominate like he did against Hawthorn was pleasing to many Carlton people who want to see the Eagles do well in at least one aspect of that trade. However - that pick 46 is now an integral part of a Carlton side on the rise is probably a compelling reason as ever as to why an Eagles supporter will never win the argument of 'who won in the Judd trade'.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

..into our 3rd year of the trade, and i'd hazard a guess that judd and army have played close to, if not more senior games than kennedy, masten and notte.. ..in a better team, meaning team selection ought to be more difficult as well..

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

I dont think games played is the right way to look at it, although it is a simple way.

You have to consider the business and financial paradigm of what Judd brings to this club, and what WCE lost when he left. They're still a fair way shy of solid on field leadership, even if they eventually get there.

But most importantly player quality is the key. 1 game from Judd is worth alot more than Masten, in my view, ever will. I doubt anyone would still rate Masten a top 10 pick, well, based on what Ive seen anyway. I'd say we've got a top pick (Judd) and a 150 gamer in Armfield, and they have two guys who will play 100 games + but no longer be seen as a top 10 pick. I havent seen or heard a thing from Notte so I cant factor that in.

Clear winners. Clear winners on the day and clear winners with the passage of time.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

I know I am harping on about Army, but he was seriously very impressive last night. His field kicking was exceptional. Really hope he can keep it up. His forward drives will be crucial in how we set up our attacking structures. Fast footy to fast Eddie and co. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

Judd is priceless, and we did win that trade, but those of us who argued to send a clown called Fev west instead of Kennedy still continue to weep quietly in the background.

The arguments that it had to be Kennedy because Fev had a contract, we would never kick a winning score without Fev, and he would never leave Melbourne anyway, look progressively stupider ever week.

I am glad the Weagles got one good player for Judd. But I wish we could have raised our eyes, looked up the field, and summoned our post-Brownlow courage a couple of years earlier.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:10 pm 
Herald Sun columnist

Who says the Weagles wanted Fev?

Unless Woosha has stated somewhere that he really wanted Fev, speculating on offering Fev instead of Josh is ludicrous.

“It is a state of mind, a system of belief, a way of seeing the world, a deep faith that, because you are Carlton, you belong to something great.” - Mike Fitzpatrick articulating what Out of the Blue means.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

DownUnderChick wrote:
Who says the Weagles wanted Fev?

Unless Woosha has stated somewhere that he really wanted Fev, speculating on offering Fev instead of Josh is ludicrous.

WCE would have taken that flower without even thinking about it

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

I too am enjoying the way Armfield plays. Watch his face when he is going through a line breaking, thread the needle type canter, he absolutely sh*ts himself. It's pretty funny but good on him, he makes a huge difference!

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:05 pm 
Robert Walls

part of our next premiership team no doubt

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:46 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Armfield has been terrific this year and as good as Kennedy has been for WCE, we certainly got the better of the trade.